NY Times Column on Amtrak Travel (Dec 13, 2011)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DivMiler

Lead Service Attendant
Joe Sharkey, who writes the "On the Road" column for The New York Times, writes about his Silver Star sleeper trip from Tampa (TPA) to New York City (NYP). Nothing new to many of us here, but it is good to see a travel writer (who almost always writes about air travel or hotels) writing positively about going by railroad.

I'm not sure how someone "runs into" an Amtrak "product development officer", but I'd hope Sharkey didn't use his connections to get better service.

I was hoping he would comment on the fact that business travelers have an excellent opportiunity to work on projects undisturbed, including a fair amount of on-line access.....nice article!
smile.gif

Nice column. I differ on one point, however. I am NEVER pleased when I receive a copy of The New York Times or USA Today. I can buy those anywhere. I really enjoy getting a local newspaper -- like the Minot Daily News while on the Empire Builder...

4000396995_55dcf2145e.jpg

Or the Omaha World-Herald on the California Zephyr...

2974223319_b21f64a6a2.jpg

I'm not sure how someone "runs into" an Amtrak "product development officer"...
That does seem odd.
I "ran into" the same product development officer in Washington Union Station in November. I was in the Club Acela waiting on the Crescent and Dennis was waiting on the Silver Meteor. He overheard me talking to the person next to me about my upcoming trip (which I have just completed) and he was interested in hearing about my travels. He provided me with his card containing his email address and I have been in communication with him about my November trip and my just completed trip.

Nice column. I differ on one point, however. I am NEVER pleased when I receive a copy of The New York Times or USA Today. I can buy those anywhere. I really enjoy getting a local newspaper -- like the Minot Daily News while on the Empire Builder...
Some of us will have to agree to disagree - I can't start my day without reading the New York Times - no matter where I am in the world :)

Is newspaper delivery supposed to be standard in the sleeper? I didn't get a paper on any of the legs of my cross country trip this year.

Some of us will have to agree to disagree - I can't start my day without reading the New York Times - no matter where I am in the world :)

Is newspaper delivery supposed to be standard in the sleeper? I didn't get a paper on any of the legs of my cross country trip this year.
Usually is, but it isn't unusual to miss it. I like getting the local papers instead of USA Today, too. I hate USA Today.

Usually is, but it isn't unusual to miss it. I like getting the local papers instead of USA Today, too. I hate USA Today.
For a paper that is likely written by angry children, the USA Today is alright. I much prefer the Times.

I am NEVER pleased when I receive a copy of The New York Times or USA Today.
Add me to the list of folks who ride sleepers but have never seen a newspaper delivery. As for USA Today, I have no idea who actually likes that newspaper.

I am NEVER pleased when I receive a copy of The New York Times or USA Today.
Add me to the list of folks who ride sleepers but have never seen a newspaper delivery. As for USA Today, I have no idea who actually likes that newspaper.
I know I've gotten them fairly regularly on the Empire Builder and Starlight, the two LD trains I ride the most. I seem to recall getting them on the Sunset, too.

I know I've gotten them fairly regularly on the Empire Builder and Starlight, the two LD trains I ride the most. I seem to recall getting them on the Sunset, too.
I've gotten one on the Cap. I also think I've gotten them on the Lake Shore.

I've gotten one on the Cap. I also think I've gotten them on the Lake Shore.
Sounds like we've got another case of Amtrak's consistent inconsistency.

I'm 99% sure we got one on the CL. And we did get one on the CZ (I think that one was USA Today).

Sleeper pax may come from diverse-ish backgrounds, and local papers or the USA Today may be fine (or even great) for some of them. I'd imagine that business passengers, especially in the NE, read "better" papers more consistently, and the local papers just might not cut it.

The New York Times makes more sense for business travelers than do local papers. If, for example, the papers loaded for business pax at ESX were copies of the Burlington Free Press instead of the NYT, I can't imagine people reading the paper.

At the end of the day, though, Amtrak can get what Amtrak can get, and it's nice to have a paper at all.

My experience has been lots of variation. I just finished an eastbound EB segment where we received the Whitefish Pilot on the first morning and USA Today on the second. Westbound on the Builder, I have usually received the Minot Daily News on day one and the Spokesman-Review [spokane] on the second morning. Last month on #6, we received the SLC Tribune on day one and the Omaha World-Herald on day two. On southbound Starlights, you will usually see the Sacramento Bee while northbound will usually bring the KFS local paper called the Herald and News. On the other hand, I have also had no papers on most of these routes at one time or another, so I think that brings us back to the service consistency issue frequently discussed here.    

I read the Joe Sharkey piece and I kept waiting for him to say something negative, the way people do to make themselves seem worldly. But nothing, it was a positive article,very nice!

PS I got the Sunday New York Times on the Eastbound SW Chief, lots to read through. I was surprised to get the big Sunday paper!

As someone who was in the journalism business for years, I suspect that USA Today is the default paper of choice for most of Amtrak's LD sleeper routes, with the NY Times probably the BC choice along the Northeast.

You probably only get a local replacement for USA Today when the LD trains during early morning hours find themselves in areas where the paper does not circulate promptly. USA Today is printed in a lot of locations nationwide; they are largely Gannett Corp.-owned local papers which can receive microwave transmission of USA Today pages from its newsroom in Alexandria, Virginia. In regions where there may not be a nearby Gannett-owned paper, USA Today may not arrive until the afternoon.

However, that doesn't explain why the Starlight loads the Sacramento Bee on no. 11, though no one should complain; the Bee is one of the few local/regional papers left that actually contains substantive national and world news, as well as arts and entertainment, partly because it is a flagship paper of the Knight-McClatchy chain.

And while we received the local Whitefish, Montana paper on the eastbound EB a couple of years ago (USA Today the second morning), I walked to the news boxes across the street from the station during our stop and found that morning's Wall Street Journal for sale! It was great, though I've never figured out how the Journal--which contracts with local papers around the country to print its editions from microwave transmission--got the paper to such an isolated outpost. It does say volumes about the demographics of the Whitefish area population that the Journal endeavors to do so.

The NY Times is available widely across the nation these days through printing arrangements similar to those of the WSJ and Gannett. I doubt Amtrak has any problem procuring the Times for its Northeast BC and LD routes. In fact, on one Vermonter run, there were numerous copies of the Times available for every day of that week, a telling comment on the declining popularity of print for anyone under 40, or 50? :(

They generally load the NYT and the Boston Globe onto acela FC runs that originate in Boston. They also generally have both papers in the Club Acela in BOS, too.

After that Colgan crash, I have to think people in that part of the country would welcome info that allows them to avoid regional airlines. Because I frankly have zero confidence that FAA will whip that industry into shape. It is in denial, and I'd be shocked if FAA disturbed that dreamlike state. Ergo, regional trips on the train fit perfectly that consumer need.

I always enjoy getting that morning paper on the train, especially on a several day journey as it keeps me updated on news. Whilst the US-less Today is an alright fishwrap, I like getting a local paper just for the experience. I've actually had a paper slid under my door as early as 5 am, having just come from a major city stop.

As someone who was in the journalism business for years, I suspect that USA Today is the default paper of choice for most of Amtrak's LD sleeper routes, with the NY Times probably the BC choice along the Northeast.
The Empire Builder usually gets the Minot Daily and the Spokane paper heading west, and the Whitefish Interlakes and the Minneapolis Star Tribune heading east. Like others, I usually get the New York Times on the Capitol Limited and the Lake Shore Limited.

Sadly, you're right the in general USA Today is the default paper on many trains, like on the City of New Orleans, and the Southwest Chief. It's not just trains, though. I was irritated to find USA Today in front of my door at the Hilton O'Hare last month. Fortunately there were copies of the Financial Times at the front desk, so I had something to fortify my spirit before facing TSA.

On trains, I'm happy to get the local paper, even if it's as bad as the Minot Daily News (and I say that as someone who grew up on it -- it was never good). It gives you the Local Angle (like lthanlon's copy of the Omaha paper that trumpets fewer deaths of local soldiers in Iraq), and local news is always engrossing. I remember that the Interlakes has especially good coverage of random local police calls.

You probably only get a local replacement for USA Today when the LD trains during early morning hours find themselves in areas where the paper does not circulate promptly. USA Today is printed in a lot of locations nationwide; they are largely Gannett Corp.-owned local papers which can receive microwave transmission of USA Today pages from its newsroom in Alexandria, Virginia. In regions where there may not be a nearby Gannett-owned paper, USA Today may not arrive until the afternoon.

However, that doesn't explain why the Starlight loads the Sacramento Bee on no. 11, though no one should complain; the Bee is one of the few local/regional papers left that actually contains substantive national and world news, as well as arts and entertainment, partly because it is a flagship paper of the Knight-McClatchy chain.

And while we received the local Whitefish, Montana paper on the eastbound EB a couple of years ago (USA Today the second morning), I walked to the news boxes across the street from the station during our stop and found that morning's Wall Street Journal for sale! It was great, though I've never figured out how the Journal--which contracts with local papers around the country to print its editions from microwave transmission--got the paper to such an isolated outpost. It does say volumes about the demographics of the Whitefish area population that the Journal endeavors to do so.

The NY Times is available widely across the nation these days through printing arrangements similar to those of the WSJ and Gannett. I doubt Amtrak has any problem procuring the Times for its Northeast BC and LD routes. In fact, on one Vermonter run, there were numerous copies of the Times available for every day of that week, a telling comment on the declining popularity of print for anyone under 40, or 50? :(
At many hotels, USA Today is automatically included in your room charge. Is this the case with Amtrak?

The only non USA Today paper I have gotten is the Flagstaff paper on the Eastbound SWC, my first LD trip. Since then I rarely get a paper and it is USAT if they do provide it.

I agree that a local paper is preferable, it is part of the LD experience. I can get the national papers on my phone for free at anytime.

To the topic on hand, it was nice to read the article and surprising there was no negativity.

At many hotels, USA Today is automatically included in your room charge. Is this the case with Amtrak?
USA Today, along with the Wall Street Journal, offers a bulk rate to many hotels and hotel chains to be the paper of choice for their guests; in the Journal's case, at hotel chains with lots of business travelers. This is a way to boost the readership numbers to entice more advertising (and ideally higher advertising rates). Some high-end hotels will also offer the New York Times and the Financial Times but it's most common to see USA Today and the Wall Street Journal. I have no doubt that Amtrak gets a nice bulk discount from USA Today and in the NE, probably from the New York Times which finds the WSJ trying to poach on its turf by becoming a more than just financial-news paper.

On the topic of local versus national when traveling, it is fun to read a really local paper (one that has perhaps a page or less of non-local news all from the Associated Press) and learn about the rhythms of life (e.g. petty crimes, marriages, opening of a new town bakery) away from major urban areas or the two coasts. On the other hand, when on a two-day LD trip in the West, it is nice to get a paper like USA Today that at least summarizes all the major world and national news, so you will know, for example, that your 401k plummeted by 40% while you were lounging in the Sightseer Car!! :rolleyes:

I'm not sure how someone "runs into" an Amtrak "product development officer"...
That does seem odd.
I "ran into" the same product development officer in Washington Union Station in November. I was in the Club Acela waiting on the Crescent and Dennis was waiting on the Silver Meteor. He overheard me talking to the person next to me about my upcoming trip (which I have just completed) and he was interested in hearing about my travels. He provided me with his card containing his email address and I have been in communication with him about my November trip and my just completed trip.
I've run into a couple of Amtrak big wigs on my trips over the years, it happens. Just bumped into one on my recent trip on the Lake Shore Limited and largely because of dumb luck. I was standing at the door to Shanghai's room chatting with him, when the big wig walked into the sleeper and asked the attendant a question about the new coffee pot. When he got down to me, I told him that I liked that new coffee pot too.

So we started talking a bit and I learned that he was one of Mr. Boardman's assistants. :eek:

On another trip on the Eagle several of us bumped into a marketing officer. I know that Jishnu managed to bump into Senior VP Emmett Fremaux on a trip once.

Heck, not that she actually worked for Amtrak, but I even saw former President Kummant's wife on the Capitol Limited a few years ago.

So it can happen! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back