NY Penn Help

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do any of the signs for trains actually use the last station stop to denote direction? Or is it all uptown/downtown/boroughs?
With the way you've worded this question, there are two possible answers, so I'll give you both.

Signs on the trains themselves will indicate the last stop to help denote direction.

Signs within the stations will typically just indicate uptown/downtown or a borough.
That is helpful. The trip planner always refers to the last stop and not uptown/downtown/borough.

Now, all that said, if I were standing on 59th Street and 5th Ave and wanting to go to High Street Brooklyn, I'd probably just walk over to 6th Avenue and 57th Street. There you can board the downtown F train. Take that to West 4th Street and walk up the stairs to the A train and board it there. It's a slightly longer walk on the surface, but instead of having to make two confusing transfers to/from the Lexington Avenue line, you'll have one very simple transfer at West 4th Street.
Course, the trip planner did not give that option. Thanks, I will use yours!

In some cases the Uptown and Downtown platforms do not have a mezzanine above connecting the two. In those cases, the entrances at the street level are marked Uptown or Downtown.
Here's another hint. I think Uptown means "North" and Downtown means "South". At least that's how it looks from California.

In some cases the Uptown and Downtown platforms do not have a mezzanine above connecting the two. In those cases, the entrances at the street level are marked Uptown or Downtown.
Here's another hint. I think Uptown means "North" and Downtown means "South". At least that's how it looks from California.
You are correct. At least as far as the average lay person is concerned.

If however one is motorman for the subway, that's not always true. For example someone operating the J train across the Williamsburg bridge into Manhattan headed for Chambers Street and the southern tip of Manhattan is actually going north. :eek: At least according to RR direction.

You are correct. At least as far as the average lay person is concerned.

If however one is motorman for the subway, that's not always true. For example someone operating the J train across the Williamsburg bridge into Manhattan headed for Chambers Street and the southern tip of Manhattan is actually going north. :eek: At least according to RR direction.
Is North and South the only timetable directions on the subway? If so what direction are Manhattan bound 7 and L trains operating?

I suppose the 42 street shuttle is Northbound towards Time Square as a segment of when it ran throught from City Hall to Harlem?

Is North and South the only timetable directions on the subway?
Yes.

If so what direction are Manhattan bound 7 and L trains operating?
A #7 headed to Flushing is running north and an L running towards Manhattan is running north.

I suppose the 42 street shuttle is Northbound towards Time Square as a segment of when it ran throught from City Hall to Harlem?
Correct.
So if you're going from Grand Central to Times Square on the 7, and your friend is doing it on the S, you're going in opposite directions?! :lol: :blink:

Is North and South the only timetable directions on the subway?
Yes.

If so what direction are Manhattan bound 7 and L trains operating?
A #7 headed to Flushing is running north and an L running towards Manhattan is running north.

Correct.
So if you're going from Grand Central to Times Square on the 7, and your friend is doing it on the S, you're going in opposite directions?! :lol: :blink:
Yes, that would be true.

However, I still think it even odder that someone riding the M train from Brooklyn to Manhattan is going south.

This reminds me of the Coast Starlight. From Portland to Oakland it's running West and then from Oakland to Los Angeles it's running East and vice-versa for going the other way. The employee TT uses train numbers 12 and 13 between Oakland and Los Angeles. On the old SP, everything going to San Francisco was going west.

Back