NW Mudslide Season 2015-16

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't envy Gus Melonas, the BNSF spokesperson.

Every time there's a mudslide between Seattle and Everett, he has to say the same-old line.

I'm sure that BNSF knows that this vulnerable stretch (scenic, yes, but vulnerable)

is a serious weak spot on the BNSF northern transcon.

Many earlier posts about the problem, what BNSF and WASDOT have done and are doing.

No easy fix, just lots of stopgaps last few years.

For Amtrak riders -- there's an easy bus-bridge that almost-always works between Seattle and Everett. A PITA. but usually works OK.

The "48 hour moratoriums" are not based on science. It doesn't magically become safer after 48 hours. I wish they'd change their policy to "line is closed until an expert in mudslides has examined it and certified that the likelihood of slides is low", which could be after 4 hours or after 72 hours.

Cascades (and BNSF) to Vancouver BC is kind of dependent on this line. BN management in 2003-2007 who abandoned the Woodinville Subdivision were goofballs with no long-term thinking.

The Empire Builder and the eastbound freight traffic could be shifted to the Stampede Tunnel for reliability (or in the long run the superior Milwaukee Road route could be restored) but the route to Vancouver has only one possible bypass, and it's been demolished by jackasses.

Last edited by a moderator:
The "48 hour moratoriums" are not based on science. It doesn't magically become safer after 48 hours. I wish they'd change their policy to "line is closed until an expert in mudslides has examined it and certified that the likelihood of slides is low", which could be after 4 hours or after 72 hours.
How about "the line is closed until our lawyers have determined that the chance of our getting sued is low."

I'm on the Empire Builder to Seattle from Spokane Sunday morning. The preliminary forecast calls for occasional showers Sunday morning as opposed to the drenching rains of the last several days. Hopefully the slopes hold long enough to get through Sunday.

Good thing I decided to return to Spokane by way of the Cascades to Portland and the EB from Portland instead of taking the EB from Seattle. The idea of taking a bus even to Everett from Seattle does not appeal to me.

JayPea, we must have passed each other. I am on train 500 headed to Seattle where I now get to board a BUS to Everett.

I originally was going to ride 28 from Portland, my home station, but the cost was $300+ more for a roomette so I decided to head north. I'm heading to CHI and on to Indiana on the CL.

The sad fact is that I know there were roomettes available today on 28 and if the press knew at 7:50am about the slide, why didn't Amtrak offer to change my trip before I left PDX at 8:20am.

Amtrak sent me email at 9:56am so I called and they gave me the bad news and refunded me $5.10 for my inconvenience. Gee, an hour on the bus, I can't wait!

I had a miserable experience exactly a year ago when I was bustituted from Pasco to Portland. Four hours of shear hell exposed to diesel fumes inside the cabin.

I filed a complaint with the bus driver, the bus dispatcher, the bus company owner and Amtrak and got nowhere. Washington DOT inspected the bus, but the company had fixed the problem by the time of the inspection and no records were kept. I had a chronic cough for five months and I probably should have sued the bus company. The bus insurance company treated me like a criminal.

Amtrak did refund my fare for that trip.

See ya in Spokane JayPea!

Jim

JayPea, we must have passed each other. I am on train 500 headed to Seattle where I now get to board a BUS to Everett.

I originally was going to ride 28 from Portland, my home station, but the cost was $300+ more for a roomette so I decided to head north. I'm heading to CHI and on to Indiana on the CL.

The sad fact is that I know there were roomettes available today on 28 and if the press knew at 7:50am about the slide, why didn't Amtrak offer to change my trip before I left PDX at 8:20am.

Amtrak sent me email at 9:56am so I called and they gave me the bad news and refunded me $5.10 for my inconvenience. Gee, an hour on the bus, I can't wait!

I had a miserable experience exactly a year ago when I was bustituted from Pasco to Portland. Four hours of shear hell exposed to diesel fumes inside the cabin.

I filed a complaint with the bus driver, the bus dispatcher, the bus company owner and Amtrak and got nowhere. Washington DOT inspected the bus, but the company had fixed the problem by the time of the inspection and no records were kept. I had a chronic cough for five months and I probably should have sued the bus company. The bus insurance company treated me like a criminal.

Amtrak did refund my fare for that trip.

See ya in Spokane JayPea!

Jim
Yeah, you were that blur that passed a little while ago. :lol: Just for some I formation you might not want to hear. #7 was delayed a few hours because of a warehouse fire in Wenatchee. Hopefully things are cleared up for you by then.

Oh joy, well it's always an adventure riding Amtrak. I've learned to be patient and just take things as they come. Why get aggravated?!

Safe journey!

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back