NTD - LAUS

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cristian

Train Attendant
Hello everyone,

Just got back from the NTD event at LA Union Station. There were a loooot of people and if you didn't have a ticket you probably couldn't get on with the tour. I had a ticket for the 1pm tour and they were still taking people with 12:30pm tickets when I got in line. While waiting in the huge line, there were clowns entertaining the little ones with balloons and such. There were also various NTD staff members with tablet PCs that were taking your picture and you could pick it up in seconds at a nearby printer.

On display there was a mixed Amtrak consist made up of one coach car with the 1980's arcade lounge, a sightseer lounge, a dining car (with various menu items on display on the tables), one PPC, one sleeper, one cafe car and one coach from the Capitol Corridor, as well as the new Metrolink half cab car that still smelled brand new. After touring this train, people got off and went across the platform where a UP locomotive was on display, followed by another locomotive - black with stripes (I forgot the name written on it - something like Pacific Harbor or similar). After that, the highlight of my day was the Santa Fe 3751 Steam Locomotive, first time I was admiring it live. A lot of little kids were asking if they could go up in the cab to visit but all were denied; with the exception of a family that seemed to know that engineer and was allowed up there, in the envy of everyone else around, myself included :) . Next on the platform were a couple of private cars - staring with Montana, followed by Virginia City, along with two of the Silvers from the original California Zephyr. Now that I think about it, I believe there might have been another car in between the Montana and the Virginia City, but the name escapes me right now.

In the garden outside the Union Station were various booths ranging from Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo Car Free, to Amtrak Vacations, to more 'exotic' items such as the Siemens High Speed Rail booth (showcasing various high speed trains from around the world), to even a Rail Europe booth, just to name a few. There were also two booths for Amtrak Vacations sweepstakes which were also distributing flyers, luggage tags and pens. In the Harvey restaurant two chefs were doing a hands on presentation on how to prepare a crab/lobster spread - and everyone in attendance got a free sample, on Amtrak-branded plates no less. In another corner, there were a group of model railroaders called "Orange County Engineers", showcasing a huge display with various model trains, very nicely decorated and presented.

Inside the station there was a concert stage setup in an area reserved for kids, with various activities and entertainment. I did not even get to see all the booths, before I knew it, time flew by and was time to make my way to a very long line at Gate "F" to board the Surfliner back home. (The next train would've left after 7pm).

Unfortunately I did not have my camera with me, and only took a couple of pictures with my not so great cell phone camera; will try to upload anything that's decent soon.

All in all a very nicely done event IMHO (for a West Coast train station), and was definitely surprised at the huge turnout.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aloha

My Granddaughter and I had 12:00 noon tickets, but did not get to the tour till 1:00 because the added non ticketed to the tour from a separate line. that was the line that had the "entertainers" I got pictures, but won't upload until I get to my fast connection. Evan enjoyed the Surfliner ride to and from, and the Train Day events.

Indeed, NTD was *crazy* at Union Station. I must've been right behind you, Cristian, because I saw that one family get in the cab of Santa Fe 3751. I didn't think there'd be that many Angelenos interested in rail.

I missed most of the exhibitors because it was simply too crowded. Pity, too, because the Metrolink swag bags looked like they were full of very cool stuff.

I posted up some National Train Day photos on Flickr.

Last edited by a moderator:
Indeed, NTD was *crazy* at Union Station. I must've been right behind you, Cristian, because I saw that one family get in the cab of Santa Fe 3751. I didn't think there'd be that many Angelenos interested in rail.
LOL small world, what are the odds of someone from this board being next to someone else from here at that exact moment and not knowing about it until later :) (I was the tall guy with the blue shirt)

I went by the Metrolink booth, they were giving out timetables, anniversary pins from various years, whistles for the little ones, and don't know what else because it was very crowded indeed.

@singwith - nice catch! (But it was better up close and personal, hehe)

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I spoke to one of the volunteers from the SantaFe and I asked them if they were planning anymore runs to/from SAN like last year. Sadly, he told me that this year they had nothing else planned and after NTD they were putting the old beauty into conservation/stand-by mode :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back