Nothing to Report

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

VentureForth

Engineer
I'm on 92 approaching Cary, NC. We have Casey Jones himself at the throttle, making nearly every station stop ahead of schedule. Full, sold out train. Everyone is behaving for the most part. There is the requisite swapping of seats as passengers get off, but on this full train the new passengers graciously remind them that ths SA assigned THAT seat to them. It's quiet, cloudy, AT&T and GPS on my Android seen to have about 80% availability.

Nothing to report here. Just a nice, simple ride as advertised.

And...... ACTION! OK... Not much, but a bit. I'll take anything right now. Wandered around Raleigh for a couple of hours. The r-line bus makes a circuituous route around the city. It takes 30 minutes to make a complete loop. And the price is right - free! Rode to the City Marketplace where I ate at Big Ed's. On the return, it is easy to miss your stop. Keep an eye out! #75 was late out of the gate. There were some hydraulic issues on the left rear-most bogey. Fun thing about having a scanner - the folks in the station kept announcing that they were swapping out the last coach, but listening in (and seeing the "evidence") They were trying to fix the problem without switching. This was the 2nd Piedmont run out of Raliegh, so I don't know that they actually had anything to switch it out with. Noticed evidence of a leak when it pulled around. Thought these were air brakes. Hydraulically actuated air brakes? Anyway, ANOTHER SOLD OUT TRAIN. I don't mind sharing. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
And then came Pam. She boarded in Durham and immediately went to the lounge car (They call it the "Cafe Car" even though everything is in in vending machines) for coffee. She stayed in the cafe car until about Greensboro. From Greensboro to High Point she made up for lost chatting time with me. I learned that the worked for Norfolk Southern (turns out she brought the crew beer & took their bottles), that she could be a better president than the current, that she wants to live AT Walt Disney World, the end times are near, and that both our souls were right. And even though she had her own try table, mine (which was already open and being used by ME) seemed to be more convenient where she unloaded a dozen butterscotch candies, an oreo cookie and sat her phone to charge. When she sees that I have an ear bud in my ear, she asks what I'm listening to (Amtrak Road on the scanner). She's excited and wants to listen in. I ain't giving her an earbud to share, so I put it on speaker. Of course, there's nothing to listen to. Finally just about 5 minutes before reaching High Point, she decides it's time to go to the bathroom. She gets all her stuff (and I help) from the overhead, and puts it in her aisle seat. Of course, when she's done in the bathroom, the train is already in the station and people are getting off. Looking back and not seeing her, I grab her rolling bag and other couple of items and took them to the vestibule where she met me saying she was on her way to get it (she looked like she was about to get off the train).

Anyway, the ride from HP to KAN was very relaxing and we ended up leaving 30 minutes late but arriving in KAN about an hour late. Unusual for the Piedmont, but understandable under the circumstances.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back