Not going to Glenwood Springs

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam31452

Service Attendant
It seems that me and Ms Sam won't go Glenwood Springs because of that CZ detour in July.

This is a bad thing especially for Ms Sam, as she hasn't traveled the route yet.

We do that just because Ms Sam has never traveled exactly that route that is now detoured. ( :angry: )

But as I'm never getting angry on a train (it's some sort of Prozac to me), we will make the best out of it. ( :) )

We have now a day to spend elsewhere and we would like to hear your suggestions where we should stop for exactly 24 hours.

We will be travelling:

Sacramento-Salt Lake City-Denver-Chicago-St.Louis-San Antonio-LAX

Stops in Chicago and St. Louis are already part of the Plan. So please tell us why we should stop in a place like for example Ottumwa, Iowa.

The winner will get a postcard from the place if he/she sends me his/her address.

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems that me and Ms Sam won't go Glenwood Springs because of that CZ detour in July.This is a bad thing especially for Ms Sam, as she hasn't traveled the route yet.

We do that just because Ms Sam has never traveled exactly that route that is now detoured. ( :angry: )

But as I'm never getting angry on a train (it's some sort of Prozac to me), we will make the best out of it. ( :) )

We have now a day to spend elsewhere and we would like to hear your suggestions where we should stop for exactly 24 hours.

We will be travelling:

Sacramento-Salt Lake City-Denver-Chicago-St.Louis-San Antonio-LAX

Stops in Chicago and St. Louis are already part of the Plan. So please tell us why we should stop in a place like for example Ottumwa, Iowa.

The winner will get a postcard from the place if he/she sends me his/her address.
Are those the only places you want to overnight from the CZ? If not, what about Denver, Truckee, or Sacramento or San Antonio? All of these locations have fun things to do in the area. Denver is beautiful, Truckee is right near Lake Tahoe, Sacramento has the RR museum right near the Amtrak station. And San Antonio has the riverwalk.

Are those the only places you want to overnight from the CZ?
Nope, i'll stay for 24 hours in the place you'll recommend (this would include a hotel stay). It may be any place between Sacramento and Chicago and Chicago and San Antonio.

I'm stopping already in Sacramento, Chicago and St. Louis.

(main reason for Sacramento is the RR Museum)

I vote for my town Lincoln NE. You can walk to the Downtown Holiday Inn from the LNK train station. The HI was just re-furbished in 2008 and 2009. If the Lincoln Saltdogs baseball team is in town, you can walk to Haymarket Park. With the state of the economy, they are really making it inexpensive to go to the ballpark this year. You can stroll and shop and eat in the Haymarket area of Lincoln NE as well. And if this just happens to be a Saturday stay, you can browse the Farmers Market which has an attendence of about 5,000 people. Also in July you can pick up thee best sweet corn the US produces right here in the Cornhusker State. You can sip a latte' at the Mill just across the street from the HI, walk one block and eat and drink a microbrew and some of the best food around at Lazlo's Brew and Pub, you can see (and walk) to the Zoo Bar, one of the longest running blues clubs located in the same spot with the same family owning it in the whole US. Are you younger? Knickerbockers is one block from the HI and you can see bands such as the Street Dogs from Boston MA that just performed there. We also have the Lied Center for Performing Arts just down from the HI and "movies on the green" on Thursday nights in the summer where you can watch free movies outside sprawled out on a blanket (provided by the Holiday Inn) :lol: . Lots of folks in the US laugh at us Lincolnites, but almost every survey taken in the last couple of years has Lincoln NE as one of the top cities to "raise a family in". I cringe when I see these stats, I don't want a whole lot of people knowing how great we have it here in the heart of the good ol' US of A! :) Enjoy your trip!!!!!! Please give my city a "look see" on the internet and if you have any questions, please feel free to PM me. Oh....I have to say this: Go Big Red!!!!! (Husker football)

Al

Here's another vote for Truckee ... at least if you can rent a car there. Very cool and quaint little town, lots of history, and very close to Lake Tahoe and Donner Pass and lake.

My other suggestion would violate your 24-hour rule, though -- if you like the outdoors and southwestern desert country, do a 48-hour layover at El Paso. Rent a car there, and head up to Carlsbad CAverns and Guadeloupe Mountains National Parks.

San Antonio's never appealed to me all that much, for some reason, but I suppose Austin would be another possibility. If you do either, my advice would be to rent a car and spend your day out in the Texas hill country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back