Northwest mudslide season begins

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What the staus of the Snoqualmie tunnel - ex Miulwaukee Road. Any chance that can be used fror #7 and 8? Run a bus to serve Everett and whatever else would be bypassed.

What the staus of the Snoqualmie tunnel - ex Miulwaukee Road. Any chance that can be used fror #7 and 8? Run a bus to serve Everett and whatever else would be bypassed.
The Snoqualmie tunnel hasnt had tracks in over 20 years. BN pulled them up in the 80s. Its actually now a state park (The John Wayne Trail) though the tunnel itself has been closed for aout a year because of ceiling issues and no funds to fix it. I hope they can find the money this year as I have ridden a bicycle through the Hyak tunnel before and it was an amazing experience.

Numbers 7 & 8 could potentially be re-routed on the former NP over Stampede, but that is a MAJOR re-route that would eliminate Ephrata, Wenatchee, Leavenworth (after they fought long & hard for a stop) as well as Everett and Edmonds. As much as I am a HUGE NP fan and would love to be able to take a "rare-mileage" trip accross Stampede, I dont see either AMTRAK or BNSF making this happen. This also would do nothing to deal with Cascades service to Vancouver or Sounder servicce Seattle to Everett.

Local news reports tonight (KOMO) indicate that politicians including US Senators & Representatives have been getting calls & letters from constituients to force BNSF to do something to stabilize the slopes and they appear to be listening... they have made overtures to property owners about stabilizing the slopes... But as I have said her & on other forums before, there HAS to be a permanant solution. These types of service disruptions can kill Sounder service and severely damage Cascades.

Last edited by a moderator:
Local news reports tonight (KOMO) indicate that politicians including US Senators & Representatives have been getting calls & letters from constituients to force BNSF to do something to stabilize the slopes and they appear to be listening... they have made overtures to property owners about stabilizing the slopes...
I think you're referring to this story, which was actually on KING TV. It's certainly positive that the problem is getting attention from the press and elected officials, but we have a long way to go, and it's a long time before the wet season ends (traditionally on July 4th)!

Railroad wants to work with property owners to curb landslidesBNSF Railway Company said Friday it wants to work with homeowners living along the cliffs above the main rail route running north from Seattle -- a section of rail that's been plagued by repeated landslides this year.

The most problematic area is in the Mukilteo slide zone, about two-and-a-half miles south of the ferry terminal. So far this winter, seven slides have occurred in that area, and a few weeks ago a relatively small slide came down as a freight train was passing, derailing it.

BNSF is specifically concerned about drainage pipes that carry water from properties above the tracks. The water destabilizes the slopes, and some of the pipes could be leaking while others may have been installed illegally.

I think you're referring to this story, which was actually on KING TV. It's certainly positive that the problem is getting attention from the press and elected officials, but we have a long way to go, and it's a long time before the wet season ends (traditionally on July 4th)!
Railroad wants to work with property owners to curb landslidesBNSF Railway Company said Friday it wants to work with homeowners living along the cliffs above the main rail route running north from Seattle -- a section of rail that's been plagued by repeated landslides this year.

The most problematic area is in the Mukilteo slide zone, about two-and-a-half miles south of the ferry terminal. So far this winter, seven slides have occurred in that area, and a few weeks ago a relatively small slide came down as a freight train was passing, derailing it.

BNSF is specifically concerned about drainage pipes that carry water from properties above the tracks. The water destabilizes the slopes, and some of the pipes could be leaking while others may have been installed illegally.

KING may have reported that story but the one I saw was on KOMO and specifically mentioned Patty Murray and Dow Constantine. Either way as you said, its a good thing that this is getting press and forcing BNSF and the local homeowners to DO something about it. And about the the "rainy" season here... "Summer begins in Seattle on July the 5th and ends the Friday before Labor Day" Is the old joke I've always heard. (And I've lived here with a couple years in WI and Pullman for school since 1966.) And it usually holds fairly true, though in recent years we've had some decent Septembers.

Last edited by a moderator:
KING may have reported that story but the one I saw was on KOMO and specifically mentioned Patty Murray and Dow Constantine.
Okay, thanks for the confirmation. Unfortunately, the KOMO story doesn't seem to be on their website, which instead is featuring such gems as "Man saves daughter's poodle from teeth of coyote"! If you can find it, post the link, will you?

Any idea if the mudslides will still be affecting the EB and the CS in mid to late February? I am traveling the EB CHI to PDX on Feb. 20 then the CS PDX to SLM, SLM to EUG and then on down to LAX with overnight stops in SLM and EUG.

June,

If you're traveling via PDX, you shouldn't need to worry. While there have been mudslides south of PDX, they've been very, very rare. And I don't recall ever hearing of slides on the route of 27/28 between SPK and PDX.

thanks, Not that it would matter if I had to take other transportation, but knowing ahead of time is a good thing. Sad for those going to Seattle, but glad it does not affect my trip.

Update 10:50AM PST 01/06/13

Gus Melonas has announced that passenger service has resumed north of Seattle as of 4AM today.

(as a scarcastic editorial note from a local resident... I'm sure there will be another slide to close it before the 5 PM news cast)

Gus Melonas has announced that passenger service has resumed north of Seattle as of 4AM today.

(as a scarcastic editorial note from a local resident... I'm sure there will be another slide to close it before the 5 PM news cast)
I guess it's news when the trains are actually running now. EMDF9A, we have two hours to go...

Passenger train service resumes north of Seattle

I guess it's news when the trains are actually running now. EMDF9A, we have two hours to go...

Passenger train service resumes north of Seattle
And I'm humming the "JEOPARDY" theme right now!

And, uh oh, from the NWS:

.A PROLONGED PERIOD OF WET AN ACTIVE WEATHER WILL BEGIN ACROSS THE PACIFIC NORTHWEST ON MONDAY AS A STRONG WARM FRONT ARRIVES.

THIS SYSTEM WILL BRING AN ABUNDANCE OF MOISTURE TO THE REGION

WITH HEAVY PRECIPITATION EXPECTED ACROSS WESTERN WASHINGTON.

FORECAST MODELS SHOW HEAVY SNOW ACROSS THE WEST SLOPES OF THE

NORTH AND CENTRAL CASCADES WITH STRONG WESTERLY FLOW ALOFT. HEAVY

SNOW WILL LIKELY PERSIST THROUGH LATE MON NIGHT BEFORE TAPERING

DOWN. HOWEVER...ANOTHER ROUND OF HEAVY RAIN AND MOUNTAIN SNOW IS

POSSIBLE ON TUESDAY AS ANOTHER WET SYSTEM MOVES IN.

How long untill this becomes the cascades version of the sunset east.
Don't even THINK that :)
I agree with CH. Don't even THINK that.

On the topic of theSunset East.. The Big Bayou Canot incident was in 1993. Almost 20 years ago. What is the excuse for not restoring the NOLA/Miami leg? The line has been repaired (and repaired again after Katrina & Irene) Whats the excuse?

First, the line was last cancelled in 2005, not 93. Second, the most recent incarnation terminated in Orlando not Miami. Third, Irene was an East Coast storm, didn't have a big effect/any effect on New Orleans. Fourth, a few reasons for the continued suspension are that after January 2006 when the tracks were restored from Katrina damage, Amtrak decided it was not worth operating not only because it was sucking money to a huge extent, but with the Sunset Limited's schedule redo in May 2012 the equipment that would have made possible the extension was re-obligated and now the schedule would not be conducive to equipment utilization/maximization efforts.

The mudslide problem appears to be getting dramatically worse year after year, despite no real increase in the frequency or intensity of rainfall during the winter season.

To me, that suggests that land drainage (which has been changing) is more important than slope stability (which remains fairly constant). That means it should be possible to reduce mudslides without multi-billion-dollar earthworks, though it might require (gasp) forcing landowners to implement drainage solutions on private land.

I'm crossing my fingers HARD, as I head north on #14 on Wednesday. No slides, please!!! :D

The mudslide problem appears to be getting dramatically worse year after year, despite no real increase in the frequency or intensity of rainfall during the winter season.

To me, that suggests that land drainage (which has been changing) is more important than slope stability (which remains fairly constant). That means it should be possible to reduce mudslides without multi-billion-dollar earthworks, though it might require (gasp) forcing landowners to implement drainage solutions on private land.
BNSF agrees with you.

http://www.king5.com...-185718342.html

I'm crossing my fingers HARD, as I head north on #14 on Wednesday. No slides, please!!! :D
#14 is affected relatively infrequently, as the main slide zone is north of Seattle. There are occasional (2-3 times per winter) slides near Tacoma that force bustitution of #14 between PDX and SEA.

Amtrak just posted on Facebook a few minutes ago that BNSF tracks closed to passenger trains between Seattle and Everett.

Jeez, at this rate maybe all of the dirt will just slide to the bottom and we'll be left with a wide, flat plain stretching all the way from the Puget Sound to Spokane. Sure, the trip would be less scenic but maybe the line would stay open!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back