Northeast tour trip planning questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slasharoo

Service Attendant
We are planning a northeast trip for May and I am interested, as always, in your recommendations. We are planning on taking a roomette on the Cardinal from Chicago to New York Penn (AGR points). Spending the night in NY and taking the afternoon Acela to Boston for a couple days, then taking the Lakeshore Limited to either Albany or Schenectady to hook up with the next day's Adirondack to Montreal--thinking of a roomette on the LSL leg. Then returning to Milwaukee on the Adirondack and LSL roomette. I don't think I'll have enough points for the second two zone reward, but the price is pretty reasonable right now.

Any preferences on Albany or Schenectady for the overnight? Are we missing anything that we should allow for scenic-wise? Thanks in advance for all your help.

I personally would go coach on the BOS-ALB leg in order to pay for the sleeper on the return trip to CHI and get better use out of a sleeper.

Think about it, your run on the Adirondack is 8 hours long, BOS-ALB is only 5 hours. BOS-ALB includes a light lunch, ALB-CHI gets dinner in the diner and breakfast, plus lounge access. You'll also be getting the sleeper overnight as opposed to a leisurely day-trip fresh out of Boston.

Getting off in Schenectady seems to add an unnesary three hours IMHO.

Your itenerary sounds great, I think you're going to see some pretty awsome scenery if there's some snow. Others will point out the scenery on the Hudson river on the LSL out of NYP-ALB, and it is indeep impressive but not so much in the winter, especially with the sun setting earlier.

Last edited by a moderator:
A trip one of these days I'll get around to doing will be from Montreal to Milwaukee/Chicago/The Midwest by taking VIA to Windsor, Ontario, the tunnel bus across the border and the Wolverine to Chicago. Just another option, I don't know if its crossed your radar. It would be all day travel (a plus in my book) although you would have to spend the night in Toronto or the Detroit/Windsor area. Right now VIA's having a sale (don't know if it would occur in May) with tickets only $25 from Montreal to Toronto and another $25 Toronto to Windsor, ON.

Boston to Montreal is a trickier route option but an idiosyncratic option could be (if the ferry is operational) LSL to Springfield to the Vermonter to Essex Junction.

Then spend the night/explore Burlington before enjoying the scenic ferry ride across Port Kent and going up to Montreal.

I would find Burlington a much more interesting place to overnight than Albany/Schenectady (I've been to all three).

I'd probably see if you can find a hotel near the SDY station, I've had two layovers there so far (and won't be afraid for a third) the downtown area its in undergoing a revitalization and I keep finding more interesting cafes.

The ALB station is across the Hudson from Downtown ALB so you need to factor that it. Wait, if your connecting form the LSL though it might be advantageous to get off there because the Boston section arrives as early as 5:00pm but the train won't leave until the New York section arrives and is coupled together around 7:00pm leaving you with a long layover before going a short distance to SDY (the two cities do have frequent CDTA bus service between them on its one BRT route, the 905. You do though need to change buses from the Amtrak station).

Full disclaimer I haven't actually ridden CDTA just seen the stops.

Edit: The Ferry's website says the Burlington route will begin in June 2014 again. Scrap that thought

Last edited by a moderator:
SubwayNut, We like that ferry idea. We may delay our trip a couple of weeks to ride the ferry. It's certainly something to consider. Thanks.

Just so you know, the ferry dock in Port Kent is (of course) on the lake. To get to the "station (actually an Amshack), you must walk up a semi-steep road. (But the stop is right next to the dock.)

Albany station is in Rennselear, Schenectady station is in Schenectady, neither is in Albany. I'd pick your hotel first (and anything you may want to see in the Capitol District), and then decide which station to change trains at. It's the same amount of train travel time for you either way (either on the LSL or on the Adirondack), and I don't see much to recommend one over the other.

Unless you have trouble with stairs. Schenectady still has low-level platforms, Albany has high-levels.

We rode the ferry from Burlington to Port Kent last September and it was a very nice ride across the lake. Watch your ferry times and check on the status of the Adirondack since you don't want to walk the big hill up to the Port Kent Amshack until the train is coming. And you want to make sure you have crossed in plenty of time to walk up to the station. Allow at least 10-15 minutes if you are seniors like us. :p It actually is very nice scenery from up at the platform and the local garden club has planted flowers and spruced up the area. People operating the snack bar on the Port Kent side are very nice and you can sit in the cafe area if the weather is not perfect. :)

I second the Vermonter idea! By May, the ferry will begin operating between Burlington and Port Kent, and the scenery on a northbound run should begin to be more visible with the sun setting later. I recommend checking out the Green Mountain Coffee Visitor Center at the Waterbury-Stowe train station (WAB) if you're into coffee at all- they brew a delicious cup! And who knows- a ski resort or two might still be open by the time May rolls around. Killington lasted until Memorial Day weekend this year and will likely try and go into June this year. Sugarbush and Jay Peak also try and go as long into May as they can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back