Northeast Regional Question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Porter20

Train Attendant
I am sure this is a basic question - I think I know the answer - but I'd rather check with the experts.

As someone that doesn't live in the Northeast, please be easy on me:

I am trying to get from Philly to New York City. There are two trains - the Vermonter and the Keystone Service that have my idea times. Is there anything different from these trains than the other Northeast Regional trains? I realize they run different routes and there is no snack car but is there other reasons that you would recommend to me to use a different train (on-time reliability? older cars? rougher ride?)

Also - I don't have any luggage and I don't require additional assistance while traveling.

Thanks in advance!!

Vermonter has a cafe, but the Keystone trains don't have any food service. They travel the same route at the same speeds with the same equipment as Regionals, so there's no reason not to ride. If you're on the Keystone at meal time, pick up something at Philadelphia 30th Street's food court and bring the food along.

Last edited by a moderator:
For a trip this short, I would like the Keystone better. As MikefromCrete said, you can bring your food from Philly (which will definitely be better than any Amtrak cafe car). Also, the Keystone can be less crowded because it's not stopping in large cities before it gets to PHL. However, there can be a long line for it in Philly, but I'm assuming that would be the same for the Vermonter.

I checked about five random dates, though, and the Saver fare for the Keystone is either sold out or shows up as dashes, so it might come down to which one has the better price for your date.

Also, between Philly and New York, all trains simply take on the same Northeast personality, so there won't be much difference in atmosphere.

I can't remember if the Vermonter has a Quiet car (anyone else remember?), but the Keystone does. However, the Keystone doesn't have business class.

If you ever get a chance, the Keystone from PHL to HAR is lovely--midmorning sitting in the Quiet car, sipping on your coffee from 30th Street, and looking out at farms and the river as you get towards Harrisburg. I do it just to relax and get away sometimes. But for PHL to NYP, I think either train will do.

Thank you for your response. I appreciate the info especially about the food recommendations. I'm traveling mid-morning so that shouldn't be an issue. Plus going to New York - who doesn't want a $10 hot dog?

I guess my big concern was time. I realize any type of travel is an inexact science but I didn't know coming from areas outside of the corridor if that would lead to it being delayed more often than other trains. But it doesn't sound like it's too much of an issue.

I'm traveling on a Sunday morning - so I am hoping it won't be too overly crowded. But if it is - it is.

The Keystones and the Regionals board differently at 30th St.

Normally, all the passengers in line waiting to board a Regional show their tickets and go down to the platform before the Regional train arrives. Thus, there is usually a crowd of people on the platform waiting to board cars that are already half full with passengers continuing on to New York from Washington, Baltimore, or Wilmington.

Passengers boarding a Keystone show their tickets and go down to the platform only after the Keystone train arrives and passengers detraining at Philadelphia have come up from the platform. My wife and I prefer to take a Keystone to New York, because if we are near the front of the line waiting to go down to the platform, when we get downstairs the cars on the Keystones are nearly empty and we have a choice of seats and always can sit together.

The Vermonter doesn't have a quiet car, but it does have a cafe car. I belive fares are higher on the Vermonter (especially peak travel days) to save space for passengers continuing north of NHV

As the others have said, go with the Keystone, no reason to pay more!

And take your own drinks and food/snacks with you, as Mike said 30th Stret Station has some really good food places in the food court!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back