Northeast Regional - luggage?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I had assumed that a NER commuter train where getting on and off has to be fast as commuters are often in a hurry, and would be similar to the UK versions, but obviously not and closer to the LD train system, it's a good thing to know.
I disagree. The cars used on the Regionals have automatic motorized doors, so basically the moment the train comes to a stop, the doors open simultaneously. And I've found that in most stations, all or almost all of the doors and cars are open. And passengers' tickets are checked once they're onboard, which makes the process even faster. So I would say that the boarding process on the NER is pretty different and way faster than that of the LD trains.
There is a part to keep in mind, and that is that the train has to be at a high level platform to use the automatic doors.
Really? Why is that?

So I had assumed that a NER commuter train where getting on and off has to be fast as commuters are often in a hurry, and would be similar to the UK versions, but obviously not and closer to the LD train system, it's a good thing to know.
I disagree. The cars used on the Regionals have automatic motorized doors, so basically the moment the train comes to a stop, the doors open simultaneously. And I've found that in most stations, all or almost all of the doors and cars are open. And passengers' tickets are checked once they're onboard, which makes the process even faster. So I would say that the boarding process on the NER is pretty different and way faster than that of the LD trains.
There is a part to keep in mind, and that is that the train has to be at a high level platform to use the automatic doors.
Really? Why is that?
It is my understanding that the automation doesn’t have a way to operate the traps.

Because at a high level platform, the doors will open and will be level with the platform. At WAS,there are both high level platforms and low level platforms.

174 coming from RVR uses the low level platforms. On those, the trap must be lowered to access the stairs. This must be done manually at each door. The automatic opening only opens the doors but does not open the trap to the stairs.

Most passengers do not like a 3 foot drop to the platform!

The way you make it sound is that the train opens up on its own. It does not. It is signaled by the conductor, assistant conductor, (or even a certain LSA
default_wink.png
), in the box right by the door that takes a coach key and the press of a few buttons to open.

v v - I just want to clear this up, though many people use these trains to commute, they are not commuter trains. They are far nicer. They only have 12 more seats than that of a single level long distance coach car, so they are still quite comfy. There are no coach attendants doing seat or even car assignments, sit where like. There is only have service onboard and it can get busy on that train, but my former Boston based co-worker would be more than glad to take care of you. The cafe service on the corridor had recently gotten some actual upgrades, so feel free to try it out.

Just a recommendation, the scenery isn't much to write home about on most portions of that trip, but I'd recommend you sit on the right side of the train (right side as you're walking away from the station) so you can get some short but good views of NYC as you get closer.

Just a recommendation, the scenery isn't much to write home about on most portions of that trip, but I'd recommend you sit on the right side of the train (right side as you're walking away from the station) so you can get some short but good views of NYC as you get closer.
Hey, what about crossing the Susquehanna near where it flows into the Chesapeake Bay.
default_wink.png
Or does MD, too, get no respect on AU.
default_tongue.png

Thanks Triley for clarifying misconceptions regarding the opening of doors.
No problem. For those who are wondering the Acelas are the same. The door the panel is at can be opened, or we can open doors just towards the rear or front of the train, or all, depending on the buttons we hit.
Hey, what about crossing the Susquehanna near where it flows into the Chesapeake Bay.
default_wink.png
default_tongue.png
Or...what's that state between Maryland and Pennsylvania? Uh....starts with a D....right?

No problem. For those who are wondering the Acelas are the same. The door the panel is at can be opened, or we can open doors just towards the rear or front of the train, or all, depending on the buttons we hit.
default_wink.png
default_tongue.png
Or...what's that state between Maryland and Pennsylvania? Uh....starts with a D....right?
default_angry.png
default_wink.png

See if I send you business again on the Cascades.
default_ph34r.png

Last edited by a moderator:
The way you make it sound is that the train opens up on its own. It does not. It is signaled by the conductor, assistant conductor, (or even a certain LSA
default_wink.png
), in the box right by the door that takes a coach key and the press of a few buttons to open.
I get that they don't open completely automatically. My point was merely that they don't need someone at each door opening them individually. This is the case, right?

default_wink.png
default_tongue.png
default_angry.png
default_wink.png

See if I send you business again on the Cascades.
default_ph34r.png
I feel bad, too! I was hoping he came back so we could chat more. He had come up not long after I got back on the train and wasn't feeling well, so I was kinda out of it.
It was kinda funny though. He asked if in a member of Amtrak Unlimited, to which I just replied "Maybe".

It's kind of a dead giveaway though! Lol20180909_132143.jpeg

default_wink.png
I get that they don't open completely automatically. My point was merely that they don't need someone at each door opening them individually. This is the case, right?
That's correct, provided it's a high platform and the trainline signals are working correctly.
It was just a matter of wording, that could've led people to interpreting your post two ways

default_wink.png
That's correct, provided it's a high platform and the trainline signals are working correctly.
It was just a matter of wording, that could've led people to interpreting your post two ways
Yeah, as I've learned on this forum many times, wording is definitely one of my weak spots.

default_wink.png
Yeah, as I've learned on this forum many times, wording is definitely one of my weak spots.
You have to have pretty much meticulous wording anywhere on the internet! You're all good.

And no two traps are entirely the same. Some come up with ease, others want to fight with a person. I'm not a large fan of traps. Some go down like a rock, others require someone doing jumping jacks on them.

One reason no one wants any passengers messing with traps.

And don't get me started on private car vestibule doors it seams every car has a variation of the same thing that makes it difficult. But I nominate ex UP AC&F cars to be among the worst. Open the top half. Then to open the door reach outside grab the handle and turn the knob.

And no two traps are entirely the same. Some come up with ease, others want to fight with a person. I'm not a large fan of traps. Some go down like a rock, others require someone doing jumping jacks on them.

One reason no one wants any passengers messing with traps.

And don't get me started on private car vestibule doors it seams every car has a variation of the same thing that makes it difficult. But I nominate ex UP AC&F cars to be among the worst. Open the top half. Then to open the door reach outside grab the handle and turn the knob.
It was either today or yesterday that I saw a youtube video of some Amtrak train (forget which one) that was going at full speed with one of the traps down. Clearly that trap really goes down like a rock.

The tough traps to close I've thrown my step boxes on them. That usually keeps them shut. But ours our designed so if the door is closed the trap can't open.

default_wink.png
default_tongue.png
For all the disclaimers about "nothing to see here", I find the Northeast Corridor one of the most interesting parts of the USA. It's like opening the service door to an extremely complex piece of machinery and seeing how it works. One gets to cross numerous bodies or extensions of water along with seeing much of the infrastructure that makes the East Coast hum. It would never make for a picturesque travel commercial, but it's fascinating in its own right.

Speaking of the original topic, allow me to put in a plug for the Red Cap services in both Union Station in Washington and {gasp} New York Penn Station. I've used both and each time they have gone above and beyond the call of duty, even giving helpful advice about current events ("we're taking the long way because they're doing maintenance where we'd normally go", etc). I'm not a big tipper, generally speaking, but I'm quite generous for the RCs at WAS & NYP. [Contrast that to Chicago Union Station, where I feel the Red Caps should tip me when I use them.]

As to the OP's point about traveling independently, I feel the same way. But travel is disorienting and tiring and items that were once pretty light tend to become heavy as the trip rolls along. Not to mention that if you appear to be burdened you tend to become the focus for bad actors who don't have your best intentions at heart. So don't be shy about taking advantage of the Red Cap services. Sometimes I feel 85 years old and hauling around a half-ton oxygen tank when I use them, but I just figure it's practice for when that day actually comes.
default_smile.png

The tough traps to close I've thrown my step boxes on them. That usually keeps them shut. But ours our designed so if the door is closed the trap can't open.
Same thing with the Amfleets. Don't know about the Horizons, which...*shudders* we'll be seeing soon on the Cascades.
We had some a few years ago on one of my trains. It is a mixed bag with some cars being great and some being utter crap. Good luck I hope you get the good ones. The ones I hate are the Viewliners. I've had one car on a deadhead I watched the conductor open it and step on the first step and it started shutting.

The worst trap is PV Wisconsin Valley. The spring release is messed up so you need to step on the trap nearby to get it to release. Then back up as the trap itself is really sprung. It shoots up.

Same thing with the Amfleets. Don't know about the Horizons, which...*shudders* we'll be seeing soon on the Cascades.
We had some a few years ago on one of my trains. It is a mixed bag with some cars being great and some being utter crap. Good luck I hope you get the good ones. The ones I hate are the Viewliners. I've had one car on a deadhead I watched the conductor open it and step on the first step and it started shutting.
The worst trap is PV Wisconsin Valley. The spring release is messed up so you need to step on the trap nearby to get it to release. Then back up as the trap itself is really sprung. It shoots up.
Lolz..The stairs trying to close up when being stepped on, and the trap flying up when the latch is opened happens on some Amfleets too.
I hope the Horizons stay as a shuttle between PDX-EUG again, but I have no idea yet. Just found out about this on Friday. Then there's also talks once again that WDOT wants to get a Superliner set on 516/519, which would prevent the need of a Horizon set.

Sooo only time will tell!

The traps on our two cars we own are in good shape. I need to do some repair work to one of the latches but I'll do that tomorrow in Sunnyside. Shouldn't take more than twenty minutes. Horizons out of the cars Amtrak has are some of my preferred cars when we lease them. Steps can't fold on you so it's a win. Also Dutch doors are on the horizons. Not something you need but enjoyable for crew sometimes.

I feel bad, too! I was hoping he came back so we could chat more. He had come up not long after I got back on the train and wasn't feeling well, so I was kinda out of it.
It was kinda funny though. He asked if in a member of Amtrak Unlimited, to which I just replied "Maybe".

It's kind of a dead giveaway though! Lol
attachicon.gif
20180909_132143.jpeg
NOW we know who you are....
default_biggrin.png

It's kind of a dead giveaway though! Lol
attachicon.gif
20180909_132143.jpeg
NOW we know who you are....
default_biggrin.png
Not much of a screen name, is it?

Back