Northeast Regional coffee

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I boarded Train 174 this morning at Alexandria and went to the cafe right away for my free BC coffee (before they got ready to shut down at WAS).

It was excellent, and possibly the best cup of coffee I’ve had on Amtrak. It was strong without being bitter. It came in a Starbucks cup, but tasted better than any other Starbucks coffee I’ve had.

And much better than the Dunkin Donuts coffee I’ve had on Amtrak.

Has Amtrak’s coffee supplier changed? Is the coffee situation perking up?

Or do they just know how to make really good coffee in Virginia?

Last edited:
I boarded Train 174 this morning at Alexandria and went to the cafe right away for my free BC coffee (before they got ready to shut down at WAS).

It was excellent, and possibly the best cup of coffee I’ve had on Amtrak. It was strong without being bitter. It came in a Starbucks cup, but tasted better than other Starbucks
coffee I’ve had.

And much better than the Dunkin Donuts coffee I’ve had on Amtrak.

Has Amtrak’s coffee supplier changed? Is the coffee situation perking up?

Or do they just know how to make really good coffee in Virginia?

Beyond their switching of a coffee vendor from DD to Starbucks, I haven't heard anything new.

I just found another thread from October that said they did switch. I searched for coffee threads before I posted but must have missed it. Sorry for being redundant.

I'm on 172 this morning. Coffee was Starbucks, or at least in a Starbucks cup.

It now costs $3.00 by the way, though I get a discount housing my AGR card.

BTW, the fresh fruit cup, a sandwich and a salad are now back on the cafe car menu. Still no bagel, though.
Fruit cup and a salad. I would kill for that on the Missouri River Runners, where they are feeding us a true midwestern junk food diet. https://www.amtrak.com/content/dam/...utes/Missouri-River-Runner-Cafe-Menu-1119.pdf

Fruit cup and a salad. I would kill for that on the Missouri River Runners, where they are feeding us a true midwestern junk food diet. https://www.amtrak.com/content/dam/...utes/Missouri-River-Runner-Cafe-Menu-1119.pdf
That's sad -- not just for the customers but for what it says about the state governments. The first round of what became the Cascades was killed by a change in governors but one of the ideas that we had stuck -- that a train passing through some of the finest "food country" in the world should include a taste of it on board.

Layout 1 (amtrakcascades.com) [May not be current]

Last edited:
I'm on 172 this morning. Coffee was Starbucks, or at least in a Starbucks cup.

It now costs $3.00 by the way, though I get a discount housing my AGR card.

BTW, the fresh fruit cup, a sandwich and a salad are now back on the cafe car menu. Still no bagel, though.
Just as FYI, the coffee, in the NEC, has been $3.00 for several years now.

Back