Nook on a train.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

creddick

Service Attendant
Notice I said Nook, as in the Nook you buy at Barnes and Noble. Does the web browser work well on a train? I understand they use cell phone technology so they should, but I just wonder if there are any users out there who have personal knowledge. I don't own one yet but I am leaning that way. Thanks in advance.

Notice I said Nook, as in the Nook you buy at Barnes and Noble. Does the web browser work well on a train? I understand they use cell phone technology so they should, but I just wonder if there are any users out there who have personal knowledge. I don't own one yet but I am leaning that way. Thanks in advance.
The Nook browser is enabled only for the WiFi hotspots. The B&N store is on both the WiFi and 3g.

I thought you meant something ENTIRELY different by "nook" (as in -ie added to the end of that word). And I'm all in favor of that on the train!!

I thought you meant something ENTIRELY different by "nook" (as in -ie added to the end of that word). And I'm all in favor of that on the train!!

A quick read of the title by these old eyes brought the same thing to my perverted mind.

I'm a proud multiple time member of the 79 MPH club!

:rolleyes: :giggle: :help:

The Nook browser is enabled only for the WiFi hotspots. The B&N store is on both the WiFi and 3g.
What he said. Furthermore, there is no good way around this. The restriction on the sorts of data that can go over that 3G line seem to be at AT&T's end, not the device, and trying to spoof it as a regular cell phone doesn't work either. You could, in theory, purchase a SIM card with an active data plan from either AT&T or T-Mobile and then use a hacked browser to get online, but if you have an active data plan you're better off putting it in an air card or smartphone anyway- not to mention that this would require messing about with the APN settings in your nook, which would require rooting said nook and which could really screw up your future use of the normal 3g access you have. If you don't have wifi, don't expect to be able to do anything other than downloading purchased books, periodicals, and the couple of free blogs they've got on there. (That said, a daily newspaper downloaded to your nook might be welcome on a long train journey, especially if you're in coach.)

(Yes, my nook is rooted. Kind of the point of having an Android-driven device, isn't it?)

My wife and I call it the metre-high club. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know yet, but I'll be finding out next week. Just got a Kindle3 wireless+3G and we'll be taking the SWC to LAX, and then the TE back home. I've subscribed to a blog that updates daily, so it'll be dependent on AT&T 3G or edge network for updates while on the train. I'm curious too. . . .

I haven't tried the web browser yet as my sole purpose for buying the Nook was to read books. Please update us when you find out. Thanks.
Well, I've tried the browser on the kindle 3, and it is, um, functional. Works well for going to the Amazon site and perhaps downloading a book. Email and web browsing is a mixed bag. It connects fairly fast, but the keypad on the kindle is probably best actuated by a mouse standing on its back feet doing the rumba. A little small for my work-worn hands. I believe from past cell phone experience, that a person's best bet with a nook or kindle to web browse or download books would be when the train is in a medium sized or large town. Cell signals are usually readily available where the people are. I don't expect much rolling through the desert, etc.

So....anyone with a strong preference to either Nook or Kindle? Was thinking generally slong the same lines as OP, but didn't even consider that there was a web browsing option for email and internet content. Are there significant differences in the devices, other than Amazon owning Kindle and BN owning Nook? Which one works better for rail scenerios?

So....anyone with a strong preference to either Nook or Kindle? Was thinking generally slong the same lines as OP, but didn't even consider that there was a web browsing option for email and internet content. Are there significant differences in the devices, other than Amazon owning Kindle and BN owning Nook? Which one works better for rail scenerios?
With a Nook, you can download books from both your local library and from the B&N site. You can't do that with a Kindle.

With Kindle, if something goes wrong, or the battery is completely gone, you have to send it in. With Nook, you can take it to the B&N store and get a replacement, or so I've been told.

The only thing I don't like about the Nook is that it seems I have to charge the battery more often than I'd like to. Maybe I just read too much.

Strictly a matter of what works best for you. You can google "kindle vs nook" and get a lot of answers. Here's a link:

http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/article/374013/what_ereader_should_buy_nookcolor_vs_kindle_3/

My needs were simply something that worked well for replacing several paperback books and easy readability. My wife is looking at the nook because her interests are quilting and embroidery and the color display would be desirable. You might want to take an hour, go to Best Buy, and try both the nook and the kindle to see which suits you best.

OK, this is Amtrak Unlimited forum. Back to train talk.

A quick read of the title by these old eyes brought the same thing to my perverted mind.

Thanks for all the responses. I'm leaning towards Nook because of the color display. As of now, no color on Kindle. I have played with both and I like Nook better.

That being said, I'm pretty sure I'd love Nook(ie) on a train too. I'm sure it works well.

I haven't tried the web browser yet as my sole purpose for buying the Nook was to read books. Please update us when you find out. Thanks.
Well, I've tried the browser on the kindle 3, and it is, um, functional. Works well for going to the Amazon site and perhaps downloading a book. Email and web browsing is a mixed bag. It connects fairly fast, but the keypad on the kindle is probably best actuated by a mouse standing on its back feet doing the rumba. A little small for my work-worn hands. I believe from past cell phone experience, that a person's best bet with a nook or kindle to web browse or download books would be when the train is in a medium sized or large town. Cell signals are usually readily available where the people are. I don't expect much rolling through the desert, etc.
This is just a followup for people with a nook or kindle using the 3g system. My kindle 3g+wifi worked exactly like I thought traveling cross country on the SWC. When we rolled into mid sized or larger cities, the signal would go from "edge" to "3g". If my daily blog that I subscribed to needed updating, that's when it did it. I could also check Email when in a town like Albuquerque or Kansas City, etc. Often, the signal would fade out to nothing in uninhabited areas. No surprise there. All in all, a very workable and useful system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back