Non-Functioning Toliets on Superliners

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Dylan

50+ Year Amtrak Rider
AU Supporting Member
I have never had the misfortune to have non-functioning toliets while riding on Superliners! :p We are fixing to ride the CZ in July from SPI-MTZ, and return later on the SWC from FUL-SPI. I have ridden the EB in both directions, the SWC WB and the CS in both directions and wonder if this is a combination of the winter and the altitude, or does it happen year around? We are going in roomettes (No Bedrooms, SOLD OUT!!!), my significant other is a little worried about this! (women worry about these things more it seems! ;) ) Does it happen every time in both directions or is it the luck of the draw? We are going to be in the TransDorm on the CZ if that makes any difference?

Last edited by a moderator:
It happens. It's random. Warm or cold. If it happens, report it to collect your $200 travel voucher.

I have never had the misfortune to have non-functioning toliets while riding on Superliners! :p We are fixing to ride the CZ in July from SPI-MTZ, and return later on the SWC from FUL-SPI. I have ridden the EB in both directions, the SWC WB and the CS in both directions and wonder if this is a combination of the winter and the altitude, or does it happen year around? We are going in roomettes (No Bedrooms, SOLD OUT!!!), my significant other is a little worried about this! (women worry about these things more it seems! ;) ) Does it happen every time in both directions or is it the luck of the draw? We are going to be in the TransDorm on the CZ if that makes any difference?
I thought that was the reason the EB sleeper was bad ordered out of PDX when I met you. I believe you traveled in coach and I went to SEA and took the next day's train.

I took the CZ from Denver to Sacramento (I had a roomette), we had problems with the bathroom until we Nevada due to the elevation. I can't remember if it was a superliner I or II. But I seem to remember it being a II and the SCA said that it seems to be worse for the IIs then for the Is.

I took the CZ from Denver to Sacramento (I had a roomette), we had problems with the bathroom until we Nevada due to the elevation. I can't remember if it was a superliner I or II. But I seem to remember it being a II and the SC said that it seems to be worse for the IIs then for the Is.
A number of the Is have been refurbished, whereas the IIs have not. I'm not sure if that makes any difference.

Our SW Chief run the latter part of April (24-26) had constant lavatory problems at altitude. Our SCA warned us ahead of time as he already knew the car we were in would be a problem. He resolved it by constantly doing vacuum resets downstairs and announcing on the car PA that we could "push the button". Although it was more work for him, he saw to it that the passengers were NOT inconvenienced in any way and actually put a humorous spin on it. If any of you have had Henry as your SCA you will know what I mean! It never even crossed my mind to complain. :)

The real answer to your question is never get a room on the lower section. Sometimes it's so bad the water washes up and down the aisle. If you are up top you can just go to another car to use the restroom. I would never take a shower down there when they are malfunctioning. Even on functioning Superliners, sometimes the kids roaming around throw junk down the toilets and clog them up. If you have a good car attendent feel fortunate.

Last weekend we had toilet troubles on the westbound California Zephyr. They didn't work from sometime out of Denver until Winnemucca, Nevada. It wasn't a total problem: the toilets failed in our Superliner 2, but worked in the refurbished Superliner 1 next door.

The next day we had low-vacuum problems again on the northbound Coast Starlight, but by then we were more suspicious of the toilet in our bedroom, trying out the flushing before using it. Plus the SCA on this train knew how to reset the system, or was more willing to do it.

We had no problems on the Empire Builder, of course, because Maria's Pass is so much lower.

I try not to be a whiner, and I realize that since this was a loophole AGR trip I don't really have much ground to complain, but not being able to flush your bedroom's toilet for nearly a day was pretty suboptimal.

Our SW Chief run the latter part of April (24-26) had constant lavatory problems at altitude. Our SCA warned us ahead of time as he already knew the car we were in would be a problem. He resolved it by constantly doing vacuum resets downstairs and announcing on the car PA that we could "push the button". Although it was more work for him, he saw to it that the passengers were NOT inconvenienced in any way and actually put a humorous spin on it. If any of you have had Henry as your SCA you will know what I mean! It never even crossed my mind to complain. :)

The one time I rode the SW Chief I did indeed have the pleasure of having Henry as my SCA and I know exactly what you mean! If ever Amtrak put out an informational video for new employees on how to conduct yourself as an employee they ought to give Henry a starring role.

The one time I ever had problems with non-functioning toilets was indeed in a Superliner II car, on the Coast Starlight last summer. It wouldn't flush during the ride through the mountains of Oregon and was told that "it was because of the altitude". I found that interesting as I had also ridden the CZ earlier last year and didn't have any problems at any altitude. And since the toilets in the CS didn't work while nearing LAUS, I was left to wonder what effect being at sea level had on the toilets. :lol:

Edgefan -- We were on that same train -- the car next to Henry's. Unfortunately, ALL our toilets were out the entire trip, so we all trooped into your car the whole time. Henry was a champ!

And Jim -- Every train out West we've been on (a total of 10) has had a toilet problem, mostly at high altitude -- summer, spring or winter! Tell your SO it's one of those things you grumble about, then collect your voucher (if it's bad enough to complain to Amtrak about) and move on. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back