NOLA to ATL: Coach vs Roomette vs Bedroom

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Long time lurker, 2nd time poster. ha.

I have taken the LSL (twice) and Cardinal from NYP to Chicago in coach. Then I have stayed in a roomette from Chicago to NOLA and Austin.

This year I'm taking the Crescent from NOLA to ATL in early May. Then ATL to NYP a few days later. So far I've booked both legs in coach but I am considering upgrading to a roomette ($185 more than coach alone) or a bedroom ($202 more than coach/$17 more than roomette).

Question 1: Will I be able to have one of the beds made up even though the trip isn't an overnight one? I would like to have the option to take a nap/sleep to help recover from a long weekend.

Question 2: What meals are included in the NOLA - ATL leg? From what I remember from the trip on the Texas Eagle, dinner was available before we reached Austin. I didn't eat on the train that evening because I was planning to dinner after I arrived.

Question 3: To upgrade or not to upgrade. If upgrade: roomette vs bedroom. I'm thinking that since I'm the only one traveling the short distance, the roomette should be good enough.

Thanks for any advice/opinions you may have!

Long time lurker, 2nd time poster. ha.

Question 1: Will I be able to have one of the beds made up even though the trip isn't an overnight one? I would like to have the option to take a nap/sleep to help recover from a long weekend.

**Yes, just have the SCA PUll down the Top Bed (Or you can do it Easily) and Leave the Lower Level in the Daytime Configuration in the Roomette or Bedroom!

Question 2: What meals are included in the NOLA - ATL leg? From what I remember from the trip on the Texas Eagle, dinner was available before we reached Austin. I didn't eat on the train that evening because I was planning to dinner after I arrived.

**On the NOL-ATL Route you will have Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner since the Crescent Leaves @ 7AM and Arrives @ 735PM!

Question 3: To upgrade or not to upgrade. If upgrade: roomette vs bedroom. I'm thinking that since I'm the only one traveling the short distance, the roomette should be good enough.

**Go with the Bedroom, it's perfect for the 12 Hour Day Trip from NOL-ATL and only $17 more is a Real Deal!!!

Thanks for any advice/opinions you may have!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow what caused that price jump. That used to be a $72 roomette upgrade from NOL to ATL. I see now after the first week of Feb it jumps to $185 always.

$17 more for a roomette to bedroom upgrade for a 12 hour ride is a no brainer.

I have taken this tip multiple times. It is definitely one of the better onboard accommodation deals out there despite the price increase. I remember when it was only a $50 upgrade to roommate. You will have time for all 3 meals to be included between NOL-ATL. Also when I took this trip I did have the attendant setup the bed after I had breakfast so that is not a problem.

I have taken this tip multiple times. It is definitely one of the better onboard accommodation deals out there despite the price increase. I remember when it was only a $50 upgrade to roommate. You will have time for all 3 meals to be included between NOL-ATL. Also when I took this trip I did have the attendant setup the bed after I had breakfast so that is not a problem.
Same here. Multiple trips $50 at low bucket. Guess Amtrak realized what a deal it was. Oh well. Good things always come to an end.

Only $72 next weekend!

I usually go Roomette, but this trip, like yours, the price difference was so minor, I couldn't pass it up. I'm typing this while stretched out on the couch in my bedroom on the TE, and, I assure you, for $17, I would definitely go bedroom! Much more comfortable!

This trip is my second time in a BR, last summer we used points for the TE to Chicago, and CONO to NOL, and got 2 adjoining bedrooms. The only thing better than 1 bedroom, is having 2! Going to be a little harder to enjoy my return to OKC in a roomette later this week, after having all this space....though, I'm in A, which has a little less room than the others....I still am digging it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back