Noise in Superliner bedrooms

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lthanlon

OBS Chief
I've never traveled in a Superliner bedroom, only a roomette when I have the points. I might have enough for a bedroom for an upcoming trip, but a co-worker's experiences have me thinking that as a solo traveler I might just stick to a roomette.

My co-worker traveled by Amtrak largely on my recommendation and enjoyed the experience -- except for noise from occupants of a neighboring bedroom. She said that even normal, low-voice conversation could easily be heard. Are all bedrooms like this?

My experience in roomettes is that if I hear conversation at all, it's mostly muffled and seldom a distraction.

(I apologize if this has been talked to death. I've seen a discussion or two here where the "best" Superliner bedrooms are mentioned, but I can't find those threads.)

I've never traveled in a Superliner bedroom, only a roomette when I have the points. I might have enough for a bedroom for an upcoming trip, but a co-worker's experiences have me thinking that as a solo traveler I might just stick to a roomette.

My co-worker traveled by Amtrak largely on my recommendation and enjoyed the experience -- except for noise from occupants of a neighboring bedroom. She said that even normal, low-voice conversation could easily be heard. Are all bedrooms like this?

My experience in roomettes is that if I hear conversation at all, it's mostly muffled and seldom a distraction.

(I apologize if this has been talked to death. I've seen a discussion or two here where the "best" Superliner bedrooms are mentioned, but I can't find those threads.)
The Regular Superliner Bedrooms are "A-B-C-D-E" (Family Bedroom and H Room Downstairs),. B&C and D &E can be made in a Suite(Pricey!) by Opening the Connecting Door between the Bedrooms! This allows Noise to pass between the Rooms as this Door Rattles alot, won't Close Properly etc.! Also you can hear the People Talking and the Bathroom/Shower being used due to the Thin Walls and the Connecting Door!!

" A" is the "Small Bedroom @ the End of the Hall with No Connecting Door to B, hence it has a Solid Wall and doesnt have the Noise or Rattles etc. that Coonnecting Doors make in the others! Since it is @ the End of the Hall it has a Dog Leg Cutout for the Hall resulting in the Bathroom/Shower having the Door Face the Entry Door to the bedroom and hence Less Floor Space! If you are by yourself its OK, but for Two its a Little Cramped!

With the Price of Bedrooms and more Points if an AGR Award, I'd say go with the Roomette unless you find one of those Rare Trains where the Bedroom is Cheaper than a Roomette or only a Litle More! Then its a No Brainer!

Last edited by a moderator:
We prefer bedroom A on the Superliner due to the quietness. Got stuck next to a couple with two young children, one crying a lot, and it was not pleasant. The guy kept trying to open the door between the rooms thinking it was a closet. There is no privacy of conversation or bathroom usage.

The two roomettes that share a wall with the family bedroom are almost just as bad. I am a super light sleeper and wear ear plugs on the train, but having a quiet room really helps a lot.

I've been in numerous bedrooms and have not noticed any excess noise. The noise level was comparable to a Roomette. If you're using points and are alone, personally I'd stick with a Roomette. I can use the extra 10K-25K in a better way. For 2, a bedroom on points may make sense, but for 1 I'd go for the Roomette.

Were I traveling by myself, as the OP said he is, I'd save the points and go with the roomette. Traveling with Mrs SP&S, I'd rather have the space of a bedroom but generally only have the points for a roomette.

In a bedroom the connecting door might rattle, but that's easily fixed by shimming it with paper. You do get a little more noise from the next bedroom but nothing I've ever found annoying. People walking down the hallway make far more noise.

I too prefer bedroom A in a superliner. The difference in room size isnt very noticable to me. I like having my own bathroom. Ive stayed in all the other bedrooms and had mostly good neighbors but once in a while Ive had noise mostly from kids.

I always sleep with earplugs on a train, have music with headphones and a white noise machine I can also use.

I much prefer a bedroom. Roomettes are ok solo and I spend 5-7 nights a year in one, but my last trip I did get a bedroom outbound even though I was solo, as the price was just slightly more than the roomette, and it was fantastic. I love being able to stretch out on the couch and read, and the in room shower is convenient. So, while it's up to you, I am a fan of the bedroom. When we go on vacation (3 of us) we usually get 2 adjoining rooms and when the door is open between the two, it REALLY opens up the space. This summer we're doing 1 BR and 1 HR though, as we're brining MIL with this time, and she'll be limited to downstairs I'm afraid. So bottom line, I for one would go Bedroom every time if I could, though it's all up to what you want to do-The difference in price or points is a pretty big factor. I think I paid an additional $50 or so, to go from a roomette to Bedroom. If it was over $100, I probably wouldn't have. In points, one zone, it's 10,000 points different, so, just how many do you have to burn? If you can afford the cost, or points, I don't think you will be disapointed though. It's awful nice having all that space!

I routinely travel in a bedroom on a Superliner (alone). I do so mainly because I want my own restroom. I have had situations where I can hear my neighbors, but either it did not bother me much or I used ear plugs. Once, however, the sliding door between room D and E opened unexpectedly, when I was in E and an elderly couple was in D. Fortunately, all of us were fully clothed, but it came as a shock. Apparently the attendant had not locked the door properly. I routinely check the door now.

Our last bedroom trip involved a connecting door that rattled rather loudly. Our SCA came in with a supply of cardboard sheets that he wedged into the openings and it helped considerably. :eek:

It is nice to have your own restroom, although we usually use the shower down the hall or downstairs on a Superliner to avoid a wet bathroom. The extra space is so nice on a long trip, but we still opt for a roomette for shorter trips--LSL to New York, etc. Most of our bedroom trips are AGR point trips so price is not a factor.

It is true that there are several dates where the Cap Ltd bedrooms are cheaper than a roomette. We try to AmSnag those when we can.. :p

I have not noticed noisy neighbors on my trips in bedrooms, but the room itself does make more noise. As others have mentioned, the connecting door can rattle. I think that since the bedroom is bigger and has more "moving parts" (many more cabinets, doors, panels, etc.), you're far more likely to find something squeaky and annoying in a bedroom than in a roomette.

I know others prefer to have a private bathroom and shower, but if the privacy itself is not an issue for you, I much prefer the public restrooms and showers on a superliner to the one in the bedroom. That shower/toilet in the bedroom is just tiny.

I usally carry a few rolls of accoustic foam if i have room to hang on the walls like you see in a recording studio

On the Sunset Limited last month, were were in bedroom E. Lets just say, when a new couple got on in Houston in bedroom D, we heard the sound of our neighbor urinating and flushing constantly the rest of the way to New Orleans. There were no other noises that I remember. Just the couple from Houston and just the their bathroom activities.

As a newbie, I discovered it was luck of the draw as far as neighbors were concerned. I was OK with the singing little girl but not very happy with the couple playing a very loud, very violent movie. Toward the end of the westbound trip, the SCA moved in and started blasting heavy metal. If I weren't such a wimp, I would have complained about the movie. It was after 10 pm.

One of us who always insists on a bedroom on a Superliner train because

she wants a private bathroom, nearly spend her entire trip in the bathroom due

to a faulty lock on the bathroom door!!

I was in a bedroom on the Texas Eagle / Sunset Limited from Los Angles to

Chicago and I could hear the couple next door talking. I was amazed that

there was not more soundproofing.

I prefer a roomette when traveling alone, but if my wife is with me, we get

a bedroom. The bedrooms on the Viewliner cars are much more quiet.

Thanks for all the input. I'll probably go with a roomette, but if I do splurge for the bedroom, I'll try get the A unit.

Again, thanks for sharing all your experiences!

One of us who always insists on a bedroom on a Superliner train because

she wants a private bathroom, nearly spend her entire trip in the bathroom due

to a faulty lock on the bathroom door!!

I was in a bedroom on the Texas Eagle / Sunset Limited from Los Angles to

Chicago and I could hear the couple next door talking. I was amazed that

there was not more soundproofing.

I prefer a roomette when traveling alone, but if my wife is with me, we get

a bedroom. The bedrooms on the Viewliner cars are much more quiet.
:lol: It was not that bad!!! I was able to get out fairly quickly, but after the door closed again, it had to be opened with a crow bar. For the rest of the trip, I was unable to completely shut the bathroom door. Yes, customer relations treated me well afterwards.

quiet.jpg

Here's the way we handle it in the bedrooms. Go to your local Dollar Tree Store and pick up a roll of bubble wrap (they carry the thin variety) and a roll of duct tape. At home slice the bubble wrap into a few small pieces. Pack them in your carry on bag w some tape. If necessary the bubble wrap can be used as a wedge on the cabinet and bathroom doors to prevent rattling and the duct tape used to keep them in place. This works well and we are always sure to remove everything before we depart the train. Now if you have a noisy neighbor, just tell em to keep quiet or call the SCA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back