Noise Cancelling Headphones

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I have been considering buying a pair of noise cancelling headphones for traveling in coach. Sometimes I'd play music through them, other times I'd close my eyes and try to sleep. Has anyone here used them, and would you comment on your experience please.

Aloha

I use Sennheiser (forget model no.). They are light, comfortable, transparent sound, etc.

I regularly use a Bose QC15 and love them. I must admit it took me a while to bring myself to shell out that kind of money for a headphone, but I took the plunge on my birthday this year, and have never regretted it. I use it both on trains and planes, and the sound from my iPhone/iPod is superb through it, specially the bass. It also works nicely without any music playing through it too, just to sleep in a noisy environment.

I regularly use a Bose QC15 and love them.
I've been curious about the QC15. Not the same level of aural clarity as the Sennheisers but supposedly much better at noise reduction. In addition to the cost there's the issue of durability and build quality. Any thoughts on that front?

Thanks for the replies. I have tried out the Bose ones at a store, and they seemed great in the demo environment. But the cost is a bit high for me. Looking on line, I see several similar products for much less, including ones by Audio-Technica. Anyone tried these or any other brands of active noise cancelling phones?

I received Phillips NC headphones as a gift and find them quite nice. I don't know how they compare with Bose or Sennheiser, but I suspect the Phillips model is cheaper.

I regularly use a Bose QC15 and love them.
I've been curious about the QC15. Not the same level of aural clarity as the Sennheisers but supposedly much better at noise reduction. In addition to the cost there's the issue of durability and build quality. Any thoughts on that front?
I have had it for 8 or 9 months, so not long enough to give an informed opinion on that one. Though I have sat on it by mistake and not destroyed it in the process. :) Seems to be sturdily built, but we'll see. I have had a non-noise canceling Bose headphone for about 4 years and it is doing fine so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the predecessor to JIS Bose model, and have had them for......at LEAST 8 years. Paid over $300 for them, and I have put them thru the ringer, time and time again. I have abused them.

I use them mostly for when I'm on my riding mower, pulling a 12HP Tecumseh engine Cyclone Rake vacuum. I hook the Bose up to my iPod, zip the iPod shut in my Carhartt front pocket, and mow away. (Bose strongly urges NOT to use them in this way, as I could not even hear it if I were to run over my dog while mowing.........)

I've used in planes, trains (makes it too quiet on trains), and even my car (as a passenger)

I'm sure there are other brands that do the same thing, but the quality of the Bose product is unsurpassed.

I beat 'em up good, and just like Timex, "It took a licking, and kept on ticking......."

I have sat on it by mistake and not destroyed it in the process. Seems to be sturdily built, but we'll see. I have had a non-noise canceling Bose headphone for about 4 years and it is doing fine so far.
The main durability issue I've had with headphones in the past was where the headphone cable connected to the headphones. That can be fixed but it doesn't always leave it looking pretty depending on how it fails. In the case of the QC15 it looks as though the cable is separate from the jack, which might allow for less damage over time and simpler repair options. However, none of my other headphones were ever kept with me when mobile and that means the Bose will be exposed to more movement and jostling. Something else larger than a set of earbuds will also need to be removed from my standard packing list to make room for these headphones.

I have the predecessor to JIS Bose model, and have had them for......at LEAST 8 years. Paid over $300 for them, and I have put them thru the ringer, time and time again. I have abused them.
I thought the predecessor to the QC15 was the QC3, from 2006 or so? I'm not saying I'm an expert, I'm just saying I'm confused. :lol:

I beat 'em up good, and just like Timex, "It took a licking, and kept on ticking..."
I remember when watches still ticked!

Now we've traded precise barely audible ticking from our watches for phony transistor symphonies from our mobile phones and endless inane chatter from our seatmates. :angry2:

I have sat on it by mistake and not destroyed it in the process. Seems to be sturdily built, but we'll see. I have had a non-noise canceling Bose headphone for about 4 years and it is doing fine so far.
The main durability issue I've had with headphones in the past was where the headphone cable connected to the headphones. That can be fixed but it doesn't always leave it looking pretty depending on how it fails. In the case of the QC15 it looks as though the cable is separate from the jack, which might allow for less damage over time and simpler repair options. However, none of my other headphones were ever kept with me when mobile and that means the Bose will be exposed to more movement and jostling. Something else larger than a set of earbuds will also need to be removed from my standard packing list to make room for these headphones.

I thought the predecessor to the QC15 was the QC3, from 2006 or so? I'm not saying I'm an expert, I'm just saying I'm confused. :lol:

I beat 'em up good, and just like Timex, "It took a licking, and kept on ticking..."

Now we've traded precise barely audible ticking from our watches for phony transistor symphonies from our mobile phones and endless inane chatter from our seatmates. :angry2:
Bose has kind of solved that connection issue. (I have a pair of QC15s) the audio in is not permanently attached you could actually use a different cable, if you desired, and it acts as a regular audio line in cable I have used it to connect ipods to stereos. I've never worn them on the train although a few weeks ago I saw someone wearing a set which was the first time I've noticed them used on a train. I usually where them in my dorm room, so regardless of whats going on I can have some quiet.

I'm a professional audio engineer, so I'm pretty sensitive about my hearing.

I last used my newish Bose QC15's sitting in the PPC on the CS. Superb noise reduction and sound quality (although I admit I mostly listen to old radio shows because they seem to go with train travel). But the QC15's are dead-on for high quality music reproduction as well, not to worry. Also, comfortable to wear for extended time periods.

My older cans are the predecessor model, the QC-2, which are still going strong after years of worldwide travel. At some point, long after they were out of warranty, a plastic failure occurred at one of the earpieces. When I called Bose asking if I could pay them to make repairs, they offered me (without prompting) a brand new pair free of charge.

So if you look at the Bose's high price as a long-term investment, you really can't go wrong. (I don't get a commission on Bose stuff.)

Dunno how old mine are, but they are THIS MODEL....and they are probably over ten years old............

They make 'em much smaller and lighter these days............

Sennheiser HD201 or HD202 will keep plenty of noise out without any circuitry. You can get HD201 on amazon for 17 bucks.

I know I'm not the OP but I still wanted to say thanks to everyone for their first-hand information. I think I'm pretty close to being sold on the idea of buying some QC15's. I'm not sure exactly when but before I do I figured there's one more question that needs to be asked. Where's the best place to buy them? I'm assuming they work a lot like Apple products where there are few if any discounts but maybe there are sites that include free accessories or offer points or miles or something?

I have a pair of Panasonics (don't have the model number right in front of me). In many ways, they are similiar to the full ear cup Bose. They cost about 1/3 as much as the Bose, and work great, using active noise cancelling. BTW-they also have the separate cord, which just has standard male mini-plugs at each end and is a great idea. Replacements are available at any Radio Shack, so a cord problem can be fixed for less than $10 with a new one.

I really bought them for air travel. They're nice on the train, too, but not as necessary there, at least for me.

Great information all. Thanks again.

Further research leads me to the idea that active noise cancelling phones are only effective against constant frequency sounds - not variable ones such as conversation or crying babies. It's isolation from that on trains that I'm interested in - one review said, earbud-type phones that act as earplugs are better than active systems for experiencing relative quiet in noisy environments.

Comments?

Where's the best place to buy them? I'm assuming they work a lot like Apple products where there are few if any discounts but maybe there are sites that include free accessories or offer points or miles or something?
I don't know if it is the best place or not but I picked mine up at the local BestBuy. They had a bit of a discount on it that week.

Great information all. Thanks again.

Further research leads me to the idea that active noise cancelling phones are only effective against constant frequency sounds - not variable ones such as conversation or crying babies. It's isolation from that on trains that I'm interested in - one review said, earbud-type phones that act as earplugs are better than active systems for experiencing relative quiet in noisy environments.

Comments?
This is 100% correct and why I prefer passive noise canceling.

I've had a set of JVC headphones (link to Amazon here) that have been regular travel companions with me for several years now, and would stack them up against any other NC headphone. You can use the headphones alone, or plug in a detachable cord to connect them to your IPOD or other devices. Sound quality is very good, and they do soak up background hums and engine noise in an airplane.

Problem is, they work for constant noise, but not for intermittent / random noise. For instance, I can clearly hear in flight announcements with them on, even better than when I don't wear them, if I'm not playing music through them. Same for babies screaming, high pitched intermittent background noise, etc. In a plane where the main annoyance is engine drone, this isn't an issue, but on a train where much of the coach background noise is voices, babies, and the like, you may have better luck with headphones that just insulate your ears from outside noise.

As for the Bose headphones, I agree they are the gold standard (at least the top of the line ones are - the less expensive ones you find in Best Buy aren't anything to write home about), but I think my JVC's give me about 90% of the benefit at a third of the price. But if you're a real audiophile, you'll might kick yourself if you compromise over that 10%

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back