No more PVs on VIA

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder why they would not carry PV's? Did they have some bad experience at some time? Amtrak makes a profit whenever they carry PV's......

The change happened fairly recently. I was scheduled to take a PV trip to Quebec later this summer, which had to change its destination due to VIA's change in policy.

Interesting! That last link with the posts mentioning new CN policies as a factor is revealing. Illinois service between CHI and CDL on the ex-IC has also been negatively impacted by CN "mandates" such as minimum axle count and especially maximum speed since CN claims the Amfleet cars are too light to reliably trigger crossing protection at track speed. 390-393 are restricted to 70, which means they're an hour late at each end since Amtrak has not modified the timetable to reflect the restriction. 58/59 has no such restriction.

Anyway, with this PV "claim" about cant deficiency it's becoming evident at least to me CN is trumping-up pseudo-technical excuses to degrade passenger service on their rails.

EDIT: It is possible that the targeting of PV may be in part due to a private car on the CONO breaking an axle at speed a couple of years ago. Nobody hurt and it didn't jackknife the train, but it tore up some track.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back