No more cooked meals on the City Of New Orleans

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I must agree with Mr Haithcoat. Every meal and especially breakfast and dinner, have been memorable and first class whether in the sleepers or in coach. My boys have always looked forward to the experience and actually behave themselves. Vever have I had an unplesant experience with any waitperson and only once with a Steward and I was the one who had to apologize. I don't like this pre fabricated, nuked stuff, but it sounds like something I can live with. But no more apple pie with ice cream? Or real eggs over easy?

From the NARP Hotline for this week.

A mandate to reduce food service and sleeping car losses is in the new appropriations law.  Unless the DOT Inspector General can certify by July 1, 2006, that Amtrak has achieved “operational savings,” federal funds would not be available after that date to underwrite on-board food and sleeping-car service.  Some early steps to achieve such savings began December 7.  The Texas Eagle and City of New Orleans began serving pre-plated meals in the dining car (with reduced crew sizes).  Silverware and cloth napkins remain.  Amtrak says food will be similar to what diners have been offering.  However, food will be pre-plated before it gets to the train.  Individual items will be pre-cooked so that when heated in on-board convection ovens (not microwave), everything will become ready-to-serve at the same time.  This type of service will be expanded to the Capitol Limited and Sunset Limited next month.  Our December newsletter will carry more on this subject.

WOW - I guess we will be riding the CZ just in time in January. I'd hate to make that trip without regular food service.

I must also concur with Mr. Haithcoat. My dining car experiences have been excellent. Even on the handful of occasions where I had a less than pleasant server, the food was always very good. :lol:

I dont recall ever having a bad meal in the diner. Other than sometimes experiencing somewhat "cranky" servers, and occasionally a late meal, the Diner has always been a good experience, the food has always been very good, especially the mashed potatoes :D .

Hate to break it to you, but the Mashed Potatoes come from a bag. But they're still damn good. I know I'm upset when they run out! B)

battalion51 said:
Hate to break it to you, but the Mashed Potatoes come from a bag. But they're still damn good. I know I'm upset when they run out! B)
Aloha

If there that good where can I Get some?

battalion51 said:
Not any more. They now (and have been for about six months) come from a large carton of dried pellets that when mixed with water and milk, then heated up do they become mashed taters! They are fine if the chef seasons them up a little. I sure do miss those from that bag, though. They had that garlic seasoning in them which is why they were so good! OBS...

A Passenger who is so upset by this food is writing to the Texas Eagle Marketing Group, NARP, Amtrak, and Congress this could be interasting :angry: The guy talked with the Chef and the Chef is upset about this. I'll have to ask my neghiboors who rode 58/59 how it was.

I'm boarding the the Texas Eagle tomorrow in Dallas goin to Chicago. I'll tell ya what the food it like. Hope fully not too disappointing. But I'm not very picky when it comes to eating either.

Chris

I will be on 59 tomorrow, leaving Chicago for Memphis, this sounds scarry. I may just get a bite to eat at the McDonalds before we leave and forget it. But I will try breakfast on the trip home for sure. We have a roomette going down and a bedroom coming back.

You've got nothing to lose by eating in the diner. What's the worst thing that can happen? Is it fresh cooked like it was a few months ago? No. But you're paying for it either way, you might as well take advantage of it.

OK! I'm game. Never let it be said that I am narrow minded. Still it will have to be fairly light since that is pretty late for us to eat supper and then plan to sleep in a berth.

Midland Valley said:
OK! I'm game. Never let it be said that I am narrow minded. Still it will have to be fairly light since that is pretty late for us to eat supper and then plan to sleep in a berth.
Unless Amtrak has once again changed procdure since this summer, you should be sitting at the table by 7:45 at the latest, unless there is an equipment problem.

Standard procedure has been to send pax out to the train by 7:30 - 7:35 pm. Within a few minutes of arriving at the sleeper, you should be called to the dining car and with luck will at least have drinks and salad on the table before you ever leave CUS.

They do the same for the LSL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back