NJTransit replacement for Arrow III EMUs

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Their current plan is to equip a few M8s with dual shoes and extend LIRR third rail to Gate so that they can come to gate using overhead 60Hz and then enter Penn Station on third rail DC power.
Of course all of that depends on Amtrak actually opening the gate and letting them in. :lol: :lol:
Yes, except that it is either Amtrak or LIRR that can open the gate. :lol:
Or just get an 18-wheeler to plow thru the gate. They don't seem to have any problems with that. :(
it will be a true wonder if an 18 wheeler manages to climb upto the Gate! :)

They have a project running to specify the design to support an RFP for such. Don't know the timeline. Anyway they have no money. Nothing will happen until the proverbial fat man sings and and exits stage right. ;) And after that it will depend on who comes in to fill his shoes and whether s/he develops enough cojones to raise the gas tax or not.

Non of this is true! NJT has no plans to replace the Arrow III's with new equipment.

Before you go on blathering about these things, it would be good to READ the most recent posts, and their dates.

Before you go on blathering about these things, it would be good to READ the most recent posts, and their dates.
Or at least bother to read the minutes and agenda of the Board of Directors on NJT and keep track of what funds have been allocated for what purposes. I love it when people here claim to know more than the Board of Directors of an outfit as to what the outfits plans are. :)

Can anyone point me in the direction of document that goes out a little longer term then 2020? I know i might be dreaming here, but after looking at the plans for Singapore Changi Airport where they appear to be thinking about things 40 years in the future to make sure they have infrastructure in place. I was wondering if NJ Transit had any such fantasies. I know Amtrak has long range plans for the NEC, but I am interested in what NJ Transit is thinking about.

NJ Transit does not have the money to think about anything beyond keeping its current train running barely. Until the fat man departs this will be the state of things. :)

More seriously, at present the main items on NJT's plate are:

0. Flood damage mitigation work

1. Gateway

2. Midline Loop

3. Replacement of Arrow IIIs

4. HBLRT extension into Bergen County

5. Lackawanna Cutoff service restoration

Of these Gateway stretches beyond 2020 and is intimately tied up with Amtrak and NEC Future. Item 5 seems to be very low priority.

Development of any serious plans beyond 2020 will have to await the arrival of a new Chief (as in Governor) who actually believes in Rail Commuter Service and Commuter Service in general, as opposed to building many more lanes of highway and selling more cars). It is no wonder that almost all competent managers with transit experience have left NJT and gone elsewhere. The management ranks have been decimated. There is a serious rebuilding job ahead for the next Governor.

Last edited by a moderator:
NJ Transit does not have the money to think about anything beyond keeping its current train running barely. Until the fat man departs this will be the state of things. :)

1. Gateway

2. Midline Loop

4. HBKRT extension into Bergen County

Of these Gateway stretches beyond 2020 and is intimately tied up with Amtrak and NEC Future. Item 5 seems to be very low priority.

Development of any serious plans beyond 2020 will have to await the arrival of a new Chief (as in Governor) who actually believes in Rail Commuter Service and Commuter Service in general, as opposed to building many more lanes of highway and selling more cars). It is no wonder that almost all competent managers with transit experience have left NJT and gone elsewhere. The management ranks have been decimated. There is a serious rebuilding job ahead for the next Governor.

The latest official document from NJ DOT on rail plans for NJ is from mid-2015. You can see it at http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/NJStateRailPlan.pdf

Thanks for the document Jis. As well as the nice summarized list. As usual I trust your insights 100% I guess we'll see what happens after the next election. Although I believe he suspended his Presidential campaign the other day, so we are at least safe from that ;)

1. Gateway

2. Midline Loop

4. HBKRT extension into Bergen County

The latest official document from NJ DOT on rail plans for NJ is from mid-2015. You can see it at http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/NJStateRailPlan.pdf

Thanks for the document Jis. As well as the nice summarized list. As usual I trust your insights 100% I guess we'll see what happens after the next election. Although I believe he suspended his Presidential campaign the other day, so we are at least safe from that ;)
Unfortunately, that means NJ is stuck with him for another two years...

The Arrow III replacements not being developed and the lack of money isn't a shocker. There is one bright side to this, at least the Arrows won't get MP54 old by 2020 and after. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back