Nighttime lighting

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

da40flyer

Train Attendant
How well lit are the coach cars at night? The reason I ask is I am legally blind and seeing when it's dim/dark is a huge issue. Should I carry a small flashlight or just ask an attendant for help if I need to get up for any reason?

How well lit are the coach cars at night? The reason I ask is I am legally blind and seeing when it's dim/dark is a huge issue. Should I carry a small flashlight or just ask an attendant for help if I need to get up for any reason?
Just to be on the safe side, it would probably be a good idea to carry a small, powerful flashlight. This is a good idea anytime, anyplace, not just on trains.

My recollection of train #67 last summer is that the (presumably Amfleet II) coach always had at least some overhead lighting on. I didn't think it got terribly dark at all, but I may not be a great judge of that, because my vision seems to not have significant difficulty in low light.

I'm not sure I got out of my seat during the night on that trip, but I certainly don't think I would have used the 2 AA maglite that I pretty much always carry if I had.

#67 is a Northeast Corridor train, and since most trips on the Northeast Corridor are short, daytime trips, it is possible that the crew there does not dim the lights as much as is done on the long distance routes; I don't have firsthand experience with the long distance routes to comment on that.

I believe there's also a coach attendant on the long distance trains but not the Northeast Corridor trains. And I'm not sure how easily you'd get a coach attendant's attention late at night without disturbing other passengers and without leaving your seat; I haven't seen airline-style call buttons on Amtrak.

might be good to ask to be seated close to the restroom so you will have less dark area to walk through at night.

In all the trains I've been on, the night lighting has been dim. There's a light over every seat which you can turn on, but the aisles are dimly lit.

I'd suggest the flashlight you mentioned as well as asking the attendant for help.

Betty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back