Newbie questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OTownDog

Train Attendant
In about a month, I will embark on an Amtrak journey from Orlando, FL to San Francisco, CA. I had a few questions that I'm hoping some of the more seasoned travelers can assist me with.

1 - How do I determine if a station has checked baggage service? I'll be departing from Orlando station and have sleeper accommodations all the way. Can I check my suitcase in Orlando? If my bags are checked in Orlando, are they transferred for me automatically in WAS and CHi?

2 - I'll be arriving into WAS on the Silver Meteor (est 7:46AM) and departing on Capitol Limited (est 4:05PM). I've never been to DC and I'm looking for suggestions of things to do and sights to see. I am not opposed to walking, bussing, or taking a cab or Metro subway.

3- On the CZ westbound, can anyone suggest a stop that would give me sufficient time and nearby sidewalk accessibility for a quick jog? I'm thinking 30 minutes should do it, but I'm not sure if the CZ ever stop for that long heading west. My eyes were beginning to cross as I was reading the timetable, so I figured I'd put this out there.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or information you can share!

Jeff

1. Check the website, you can pull up a page for the station and it'll tell you what's available. Orlando and Emeryville (end of the CZ) both have checked baggage - are you then continuing by bus into SF proper?

2. The Capitol is a few blocks away, you can sign up for a tour here ( http://tours.visitthecapitol.gov/ ). The Smithsonian museums are all down the mall and certainly worth seeing depending on what your interests are.

In about a month, I will embark on an Amtrak journey from Orlando, FL to San Francisco, CA. I had a few questions that I'm hoping some of the more seasoned travelers can assist me with.

1 - How do I determine if a station has checked baggage service? I'll be departing from Orlando station and have sleeper accommodations all the way. Can I check my suitcase in Orlando? If my bags are checked in Orlando, are they transferred for me automatically in WAS and CHi?

2 - I'll be arriving into WAS on the Silver Meteor (est 7:46AM) and departing on Capitol Limited (est 4:05PM). I've never been to DC and I'm looking for suggestions of things to do and sights to see. I am not opposed to walking, bussing, or taking a cab or Metro subway.

3- On the CZ westbound, can anyone suggest a stop that would give me sufficient time and nearby sidewalk accessibility for a quick jog? I'm thinking 30 minutes should do it, but I'm not sure if the CZ ever stop for that long heading west. My eyes were beginning to cross as I was reading the timetable, so I figured I'd put this out there.

Jeff
Jeff,

Welcome to the board!

When you look at any timetable, you will see arrival & departure times. These are longer stops.

On the California Zephyr, you should have 'refresh stops' where they will be at the station close to 30 minutes. These occur roughly at 12 hour intervals. There is one in Salt Lake City, UT & Reno, NV. We had a pretty long stop in Winnemucca, too. Please be aware that if the train is running late, they will cut the stop short if they can. Make sure you ask your Sleeping Car Attendant or Coach Attendant or the Conductor about the stop. Do not stray from the platform, as you could easily be left behind. Have a great trip!

Welcome to the boards. If you're traveling in a sleeper, I wouldn't even check my baggage. Just store it on the lower level of the sleeper, and then take a smaller bag with you to your compartment. You can always access your bags on that lower level at any time, so it's very convenient. But, especially since you're taking a lengthy trip, it would be advisable to have all your luggage accessible.

Denver has a 50-minute layover, but, as already mentioned, if the train is running late, they may cut that short. You're really gambling if you take off very far from the station during a stop.

You can also leave your bags in the baggage room in Club Acela. There are tons of things to do in DC during your layover and most are within walking distance. The Capitol and the Smithsonian's are a few and most are free. If you're into locally brewed beer, visit the Capitol City Brewing Company next to Union Station. It's in the same building as the Postal Museum. My daughter attends college in DC and I always eat there before leaving on a Regional back to NJ.

Bill

You can also use the Metropolitan Lounge in Chicago! And there is a secured bag storage room manned by a Red Cap inside the lounge!
wink.gif

Welcome and hello fellow Orlandoan (if that is a word). In a month, I am traveling across country, taking the Meteor, Cardinal, CZ, and CS (and am returning taking the EB, CL and Meteor). I normally bring a jump rope with me and during the "smoking" stops, I sometimes get off the train and jump in place (or do some standing yoga poses if it is too hot for jumping). I am way to parnoid to wander too far away from the train. When I jump rope, I get some funny looks, but I ignore them. :giggle: On my way west, I am spending one night in Denver - maybe we will be on one or more of the same trains.

Jeff
What a great trip!

It's easy to check on-line if a station has checked baggage service or not. Just click on the station name for details and it will tell you.

For DC, the station is right across Capitol Park from the Capitol. Call either of your US Senators and ask for them to put you on a tour. They usually begin at 9 a.m. (on the hour). Also ask for gallery passes to the U.S. House of Rep and the Senate. It's fascinating to sit in the galleries, even if only for a few minutes. The guided tour of the building, which is free, is also first-class.

You probably would then have time either to walk from the Capitol to the White House and Washington monuments along the Mall (which runs from the Capitol all the way to the Lincoln Memorial). Or you could take in one of the Smithsonian Institution museums along the Mall. They are all free.

I personally like the Air and Space Museum and the History Museum (science, technology, industry and culture). The History Museum has a great section on railroads in the U.S. as well as thousands of other interesting things from our 220-plus years as a nation.

There's also the National Portrait Gallery, the Natural History Museum and--right across the street from Union Station to your left--the National Postal Museum.

Given that you have a sleeper, I'd take maximum advantage of the time you've got in D.C. to see as much as you can. Everything is free! (Well, anyways, it doesn't cost more than what you've already paid in federal taxes.) You can then conk out in your sleeper!

There are also tons of great places to eat quickly or leisurely in the Union Station complex. And someone else on this topic has already mentioned the Metropolitan Lounge where you can store your stuff for the day. I'd recommend traveling light around D.C. during the day because the security checks, especially at the Capitol, rival those at airports for thoroughness and (occasional) unpleasantness.

By all means do the Capitol tour. Either of your US Senators will be happy to make arrangements. And since you're going at the tail end of the summer tourism season, you should be able to get a morning time slot.

As for for jogging, the two times I've taken the CZ, we were late westbound into Denver but still spent more than a half-your in the station. That would be enough time to go back-and-forth along the platform, which is quite long, without having any fear of being left behind.

Salt Lake City stop is very late at night, and the train was late there as well. I also remember Reno being a fairly lengthy stop, especially as we had made up most of the late time at that point.

Good luck and happy traveling!

You don't need to go through your Senator to get a tour - just use the link I posted above (my wife works for the Guide Service in the building).

You probably would then have time either to walk from the Capitol to the White House and Washington monuments along the Mall
Definitely look at a map and plan ahead - Union Station -> Capitol -> White House -> Union Station is a little over 4 miles of walking.

You don't need to go through your Senator to get a tour - just use the link I posted above (my wife works for the Guide Service in the building).

You probably would then have time either to walk from the Capitol to the White House and Washington monuments along the Mall
Definitely look at a map and plan ahead - Union Station -> Capitol -> White House -> Union Station is a little over 4 miles of walking.
Are you sure on the mileage? My AAA map of downtown Washington shows that the one-way walk from Union Station down Delaware Avenue to the Capitol and then west on the mall to the Washington Monument/Ellipse is 1.4 miles.

In any event, the OP could always take the Metro back! Thank God for the subway system in Washington. I remember as a teenager all the streets torn up in the 1970s and people bellyaching about a "ridiculous" system that would never be used. Sort of like people today who continually ridicule Amtrak.

Good info to know that the tours don't necessarily require a Senate or US Rep reservation. Does a reservation through them give you a better tour or better times, though?

I just got home from a few days of playing tourist in DC. One of my favorite buildings was the Library of Congress. It's about a 10-15 minute walk from Union Station straight down 1st Street NE (which becomes 1st Street SE as you approach the beautiful main entrance to the building - you'll pass the Supreme Court building on the way). It's much more than a library. The main building that most people are familir with is the Jefferson Building. It's a beautiful work of architecture, art and design. The inside reminded me of a fabulous museum. So much detail in the floor, the walls and the ceilings. If you go, do everything you can to sign up for one of the free 1-hour guided tours. The tours start at 10:30, 11:30, 1:30, 2:30 and 3:30. Sign up 30 minutes early on the lower level. Our docent was extremely knowledgeable and imparted so much detailed knowledge of the history of the building that we never would've picked up on our own. I was hoping to walk through the huge main reading room, but that's only open to people doing serious research. But, on the guided tour, we got a bird's eye view of the room from the building's second floor. After the tour, we walked across the street to the other building that makes up the Library of Congress - the Madison Building. There, we applied for and received an official LOC reader's card, which is free and is required for admission to any of the smaller reading/research rooms in either the Jefferson or Madison Buildings. Makes for a nice souvenir.

Back in Union Station, I second the idea of storing most of your luggage in the Club Acela lounge for the day while you go exploring around town. There is a storage area just behind the reception desk just as you enter the lounge.

Also in Union Station, if you're just looking for something quick to eat, there's a humongous food court on the lower level. All the typical fast food joints plus a whole lot more.

If you're looking to venture farther away from Union Station and you're not up to walking, consider taking the Metro, DC's subway system. Most fares within the city are about $2 or so. There are Metro stations within fairly close walking distance to most of the popular museums and monuments. Except the Lincoln Memorial. For some reason, it's at least a mile walk from the nearest Metro station to the Lincoln Memorial (unless I seriously misread my maps).

I also went to the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts. A beautiful, modern building housing several performance halls. Similar in a way to Lincoln Center in New York. Free guided tours are also offered here, starting every 10 minutes or so. This is a LONG walk from Union Station, so if you want to go here, I would suggest taking the Metro to Foggy Bottom, where you can pick up a free shuttle bus to The Kennedy Center. The shuttle buses are red, and run every 15 minutes. When you're finished at The Kennedy Center, the shuttle bus will take you back to the Foggy Bottom Metro station.

The intrusiveness of the security checks depends on the building you are entering. At the Library of Congress, we had to empty our pockets of all electronics, change, keys and other metal objects. We also had to open the zippers to our bags, although security only took a cursory glance into them. At the Air & Space Museum, we only had to place our bags in a bin, which then went through a scanner. No emptying our pockets or opening pockets in the bags. At the Museum of the American Indian, I had to open the pockets in my bag, then the security witch took a long, thin plastic rod and poked and prodded all through my bag to make sure I wasn't entering with any contraband. It's because of this nonsense that I no longer fly! At the Lincoln Memorial, there is no security check. You are free to walk up the steps, into the statuary hall and gaze at Honest Abe as long as you want.

Anyway, that's a little taste of what we did over 3 days. You can't do it all in one day. Don't even try. Focus on one or two things you are most interested in and save the rest for future trips. Enjoy your trip.

I just got home from a few days of playing tourist in DC. One of my favorite buildings was the Library of Congress. It's about a 10-15 minute walk from Union Station straight down 1st Street NE (which becomes 1st Street SE as you approach the beautiful main entrance to the building - you'll pass the Supreme Court building on the way). It's much more than a library. The main building that most people are familir with is the Jefferson Building. It's a beautiful work of architecture, art and design. The inside reminded me of a fabulous museum. So much detail in the floor, the walls and the ceilings. If you go, do everything you can to sign up for one of the free 1-hour guided tours. The tours start at 10:30, 11:30, 1:30, 2:30 and 3:30. Sign up 30 minutes early on the lower level. Our docent was extremely knowledgeable and imparted so much detailed knowledge of the history of the building that we never would've picked up on our own. I was hoping to walk through the huge main reading room, but that's only open to people doing serious research. But, on the guided tour, we got a bird's eye view of the room from the building's second floor. After the tour, we walked across the street to the other building that makes up the Library of Congress - the Madison Building. There, we applied for and received an official LOC reader's card, which is free and is required for admission to any of the smaller reading/research rooms in either the Jefferson or Madison Buildings. Makes for a nice souvenir.

Back in Union Station, I second the idea of storing most of your luggage in the Club Acela lounge for the day while you go exploring around town. There is a storage area just behind the reception desk just as you enter the lounge.

Also in Union Station, if you're just looking for something quick to eat, there's a humongous food court on the lower level. All the typical fast food joints plus a whole lot more.

If you're looking to venture farther away from Union Station and you're not up to walking, consider taking the Metro, DC's subway system. Most fares within the city are about $2 or so. There are Metro stations within fairly close walking distance to most of the popular museums and monuments. Except the Lincoln Memorial. For some reason, it's at least a mile walk from the nearest Metro station to the Lincoln Memorial (unless I seriously misread my maps).

I also went to the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts. A beautiful, modern building housing several performance halls. Similar in a way to Lincoln Center in New York. Free guided tours are also offered here, starting every 10 minutes or so. This is a LONG walk from Union Station, so if you want to go here, I would suggest taking the Metro to Foggy Bottom, where you can pick up a free shuttle bus to The Kennedy Center. The shuttle buses are red, and run every 15 minutes. When you're finished at The Kennedy Center, the shuttle bus will take you back to the Foggy Bottom Metro station.

The intrusiveness of the security checks depends on the building you are entering. At the Library of Congress, we had to empty our pockets of all electronics, change, keys and other metal objects. We also had to open the zippers to our bags, although security only took a cursory glance into them. At the Air & Space Museum, we only had to place our bags in a bin, which then went through a scanner. No emptying our pockets or opening pockets in the bags. At the Museum of the American Indian, I had to open the pockets in my bag, then the security witch took a long, thin plastic rod and poked and prodded all through my bag to make sure I wasn't entering with any contraband. It's because of this nonsense that I no longer fly! At the Lincoln Memorial, there is no security check. You are free to walk up the steps, into the statuary hall and gaze at Honest Abe as long as you want.

Anyway, that's a little taste of what we did over 3 days. You can't do it all in one day. Don't even try. Focus on one or two things you are most interested in and save the rest for future trips. Enjoy your trip.
Thanks for adding the recommendation for the Library of Congress. You're absolutely right, it is a gem! (Did the tour guide mention that it will house every Twitter message ever sent or to be sent in the future as long as the technology lasts?!!)

I did a bit of research in the Reading Room in the early 1980s and it is imposing at first, so quiet and so majestic that you initially wonder if someone made a mistake allowing you to access the materials!!!

I'd be curious as to your recommendation for the American Indian Museum in DC. I visited the one in NYC and was a little disappointed in its sparseness.

Thanks for adding the recommendation for the Library of Congress. You're absolutely right, it is a gem! (Did the tour guide mention that it will house every Twitter message ever sent or to be sent in the future as long as the technology lasts?!!)I did a bit of research in the Reading Room in the early 1980s and it is imposing at first, so quiet and so majestic that you initially wonder if someone made a mistake allowing you to access the materials!!!

I'd be curious as to your recommendation for the American Indian Museum in DC. I visited the one in NYC and was a little disappointed in its sparseness.
I don't recall him mentioning anything about Twitter. He mainly focused on the history of the building.

I would definitely recommend the National Museum of the American Indian. It is right next to Air & Space. I only spent about an hour inside, but what I did see really impressed me. It's housed in a new four-story building filled with theaters, multi-media exhibits, many artifacts chronicling the history of the Native Americans, as well as a full cafe and a gift shop. A free guided tour is offered daily. You could easily spend a full day here. From your description of the NYC facility, I'm guessing it only takes up a small portion of the US Custom House?

AlanB, are you reading this thread? We could sure use an "Amtrak Destinations" forum! :)

Are you sure on the mileage? My AAA map of downtown Washington shows that the one-way walk from Union Station down Delaware Avenue to the Capitol and then west on the mall to the Washington Monument/Ellipse is 1.4 miles.
Exactly, so if you double that and add in the detour to to go to the White House, you quickly get to (and past) 4 miles depending on the exact route that you take.

Good info to know that the tours don't necessarily require a Senate or US Rep reservation. Does a reservation through them give you a better tour or better times, though?
I'm biased, but I think that the tour you get through the guide service is better (or more predictable at least), since you're getting a tour from someone trained to give tours instead of from whatever staffer happens to be available. You do have to go through a Member to get a Dome tour which is rare and on my list of things to try and get - you climb all the way up the dome and get to go outside up top:

Exactly, so if you double that and add in the detour to to go to the White House, you quickly get to (and past) 4 miles depending on the exact route that you take.

I'm biased, but I think that the tour you get through the guide service is better (or more predictable at least), since you're getting a tour from someone trained to give tours instead of from whatever staffer happens to be available. You do have to go through a Member to get a Dome tour which is rare and on my list of things to try and get - you climb all the way up the dome and get to go outside up top:
A Dome tour sounds like something I'd like to get the next time in DC. It's imposing just to look up at it! (Can't your wife swing you a special tour?) :)

I guess 4 miles doesn't seem all that much when you're starting and stopping at so many interesting places. Still, depending on the weather and such, I suppose one-way on the Metro wouldn't be a bad idea, esp. since it drops you back right at Union Station!

Wow, thanks for all the great advice and information. I may need to book a separate trip on Silver service to take in all of DC. The Capitol and Dome tour sound excellent, and the LOC tour has my interest as well. I dp want to see the Lincoln memorial and all the "stuff" between it and Capitol. I guess as i can squeeze it all in assuming I never rest or stop moving.

I think I'll pass on jogging in Denver or SLC, it sounds too risky to leave the station.

I agree with the poster who suggested an "Amtrak Destinations" discussion group here.

Thanks again for the info!

I second the suggestion on the American Indian museum. It is a real gem of the Smithsonian, and the crowds seemed to be far smaller on the day I visited than it was at Air and Space. I went to the one at the Customs House in NY, and while nice, it was nowhere near as good as the one in DC.

I'll be on the CZ in a few weeks, and one thing I plan on doing to keep "active" is to walk the train a couple of times a day. This should help keep the legs somewhat fresh. I do like the jumprope idea, but don't like the idea of being heckled by the rest of the family as I trip/make a specticle of myself...

I second the suggestion on the American Indian museum. It is a real gem of the Smithsonian, and the crowds seemed to be far smaller on the day I visited than it was at Air and Space. I went to the one at the Customs House in NY, and while nice, it was nowhere near as good as the one in DC.

I'll be on the CZ in a few weeks, and one thing I plan on doing to keep "active" is to walk the train a couple of times a day. This should help keep the legs somewhat fresh. I do like the jumprope idea, but don't like the idea of being heckled by the rest of the family as I trip/make a specticle of myself...
I will also be on the Cap Limited coming out DC on the 15th and transfering to the CZ on the 16th.

DC is a great place to spend the day and Union Station is in the middle of it all. The Capitol, Supreme Court, the Mall, the Smithsonian are all in close proximity to the station. Enjoy!

Definitely don't wander too far away from the train. Usually, they are good about making announcements regarding lay over times and where you can stand/walk around. Just be aware that at the major layover stops (eg. Denver, Grand Junction) there is a lot of confusion going on with servicing the train, crew changes, passengers deboarding, etc and you definitely don't want to get lost in the shuffle.

AlanB, are you reading this thread? We could sure use an "Amtrak Destinations" forum! :)
I'm reading this for the first time as I fly down the Hudson River on the Maple Leaf on my way home from a 2 week vacation riding the rails in the US & Canada. :)

So it will be a few days for sure before I can start to think about anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back