Newbie Questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I'm new and I have questions! :)

We have decided to take Amtrak on our trip to DC and NYC next May. I live in East TN and the closest station going in the correct direction is Montgomery WV.

It is described as a platform with no station. Dumb question, is this just a covered seating area type thing?

And about luggage, I know we can take two carry on bags each. Where are these bags stored once we are on the train? We are just getting regular seats. Since we have to navigate the metro/subways with luggage, we didn't' want to take a lot. I'll also have a stroller.

And the food. About how much is a sandwich type meal? I know going, I can pack food. But I don't see me running to the store in NYC to grab food on the way home.

Thanks!

We have decided to take Amtrak on our trip to DC and NYC next May. I live in East TN and the closest station going in the correct direction is Montgomery WV.

It is described as a platform with no station. Dumb question, is this just a covered seating area type thing?

And about luggage, I know we can take two carry on bags each. Where are these bags stored once we are on the train? We are just getting regular seats. Since we have to navigate the metro/subways with luggage, we didn't' want to take a lot. I'll also have a stroller.

And the food. About how much is a sandwich type meal? I know going, I can pack food. But I don't see me running to the store in NYC to grab food on the way home.

Thanks!
Welcome to our world! Im sure the_traveler (our resident AGR guru)will offer to refer you to AGR membership, please take advantage of this opportunity,it's free and can get you free travel on Amtrak and lots of other rewards! :cool: If you google USARAILGUIDE.com youll get a listing with pictures and basic station info for every rail station in the USA including the shed in Montgomery, a small mountain town in WV! You will be catching a single level train (the Cardinal) @ 8:45AM (if it's on time, sometimes it's late, call "Julie @ 1-800-USA_RAIL or log onto Amtrak.com for train status for computerized updates, it's a good idea to arrive early just in case! :lol: There is an overhead luggage rack over your seat,also a place to put luggage @ the back of the coach! There is checked luggage on this train but not in New York or the station you are getting on in! WAS is where you can catch a Regional train to NYC, or ride the Acela for a real experience!

As to food, there is a dinerlite on the Cardinal, sort of a combination of cafe car with snacks (sort of expensive) and the other side of the car has a sit down diner with convection oven heated pre-prepared meals that arent bad! You can look @ the menus for Amtrak trains on Amtrak.com, please do!

You can also carry your own snacks and drinks (non-alcoholic)on to the train, feel free to do so! (they serve Pepsi, no Coke! :eek: )

As to the suwways, WAS Metro is right in Union Station, very convient,just dont ride during "rush hours", NYC is another world as you probably know but it's convient also, just very crowded! The old saying about "travel light and travel right!": is accurate! The snacks are easy to get in NYP (the NY Station)or plenty of other bodegas/convience stores/food carts etc. Plenty of good info here, lots of members willing to help, please ask questions/feel free to contribute, trains are where it's at for sure! ;)

Im sure the_traveler (our resident AGR guru)will offer to refer you to AGR membership, please take advantage of this opportunity,it's free and can get you free travel on Amtrak and lots of other rewards! :cool:
Since Jim gave me the OK, I must comply! :lol:

Although I do recommend that you do join AGR (Amtrak Guest Rewards), I am NOT :eek: going to recommend that you join AGR yet! In order to get the sign-up bonus, you must travel within 90 days of registering. Since your tip is next May, that is more than 90 days away! Register within 90 days of your trip!

You can (and should) make your reservations ASAP, since the Cardinal only operates 3 times a week, and only has 2-3 coach cars per train - thus it may fill up! You can always call to add your AGR number(s) to your reservation(s). I also recommend that you EACH sign up for AGR! ;)

Jim gave you some good advice!

HERE are photos of the Montgomery "station"!

Thanks!
You must be in extreme East TN if Gainesville and Toccoa, GA are farther than Montgomery. :blink:

Thanks!
You must be in extreme East TN if Gainesville and Toccoa, GA are farther than Montgomery. :blink:

Thanks everyone for the info, I'm enjoying reading the board and learning about train travel!

GaSteve, I live about 3 miles from VA. GA is a good 200+ miles away.

Let me make sure I'm doing this right...

Buy tickets online now because they seem so cheap ($450 for all 3 of us!).

90 days until the trip, sign up for the rewards program.

But don't print out tickets until the last minute or I can't get a refund if something happens.

Does that sound right?

Let me make sure I'm doing this right...
Buy tickets online now because they seem so cheap ($450 for all 3 of us!).

90 days until the trip, sign up for the rewards program.

But don't print out tickets until the last minute or I can't get a refund if something happens.

Does that sound right?
Yes, you've got the right idea. No need to sign up for AGR exactly 90-days out, you can sign up AFTER the trip and still get all the bonuses, so long as it's not more than a couple weeks later. You can't really print out the tickets, you either need a Quick-Trak kiosk or an agent or have them mailed to you. You should probably request that they be available on the train when you board, which will require a call to make this request. The online purchase system didn't have this option when I've used it.

Unless it's a last-minute ticket, I don't think they allow picking it up on board. Your options are to pick them up (either from a staffed station or a QuikTrak kiosk) or to have them mailed to you.

The downside to picking it up is that you have to get to a staffed station sometime before your trip. If you know you're going to be on a trip to Charleston or another city with a staffed station prior to your train trip, that's one option. Once you pick them up, you're subject to the same issues as having them mailed.

If they're mailed, there's a 10% penalty for a cash/credit card refund, or you can use 100% of the value toward other Amtrak travel. You also have to be careful not to lose them as they're like cash. In theory you can get a partial refund for a lost ticket, but it's costly and you have to wait a long time.

I would just have them mailed, and put them in a safe place and otherwise not worry about it. Also don't forget them at the house when you head for Montgomery! Even if you have to cancel and pay the 10% penalty, that's way more forgiving than the airlines.

Unless it's a last-minute ticket, I don't think they allow picking it up on board. Your options are to pick them up (either from a staffed station or a QuikTrak kiosk) or to have them mailed to you.
The downside to picking it up is that you have to get to a staffed station sometime before your trip. If you know you're going to be on a trip to Charleston or another city with a staffed station prior to your train trip, that's one option. Once you pick them up, you're subject to the same issues as having them mailed.

If they're mailed, there's a 10% penalty for a cash/credit card refund, or you can use 100% of the value toward other Amtrak travel. You also have to be careful not to lose them as they're like cash. In theory you can get a partial refund for a lost ticket, but it's costly and you have to wait a long time.

I would just have them mailed, and put them in a safe place and otherwise not worry about it. Also don't forget them at the house when you head for Montgomery! Even if you have to cancel and pay the 10% penalty, that's way more forgiving than the airlines.
If you use the website to purchase tickets, there used to be a restriction that if the originating station wasn't staffed and didn't have a QuickTrak machine, it would not allow you to choose station pickup (even though you can pick up tickets at any Amtrak station). You had to have them sent via a delivery service (regular first class mail was not an option IIRC). Haven't tried it in awhile, so not sure if that restriction is still in place.

If you call for a reservation, they'll set it up for any kind of delivery you want (still not regular mail, though).

Amtrak says for onboard pickup:

Onboard ticket pick-up from a conductor is available in limited circumstances, when:
* You pay for your tickets in advance of travel (on Amtrak.com), and

* Your departure station is closed at the time of departure, and

* No other delivery option exists.
If it's between 4 and 10 days in advance, you can either get the tickets express mail for $15 or pick them up onboard for free. If it's more than 10 days, you can get them US Mail. I got tickets for Winslow, AZ-Albuquerque a few months ago, and they did come regular first class mail. There's no charge for first class mail.

If you call in, you can also have them held for pickup at a staffed station.

My understanding is that onboard ticketing is a "last resort", when there's no other way to get you the tickets in time. They don't like to do this as a routine matter.

Thanks!
Welcome to our world! Im sure the_traveler (our resident AGR guru)will offer to refer you to AGR membership, please take advantage of this opportunity,it's free and can get you free travel on Amtrak and lots of other rewards! :cool: If you google USARAILGUIDE.com youll get a listing with pictures and basic station info for every rail station in the USA including the shed in Montgomery, a small mountain town in WV! You will be catching a single level train (the Cardinal) @ 8:45AM (if it's on time, sometimes it's late, call "Julie @ 1-800-USA_RAIL or log onto Amtrak.com for train status for computerized updates, it's a good idea to arrive early just in case! :lol: There is an overhead luggage rack over your seat,also a place to put luggage @ the back of the coach! There is checked luggage on this train but not in New York or the station you are getting on in! WAS is where you can catch a Regional train to NYC, or ride the Acela for a real experience!

As to food, there is a dinerlite on the Cardinal, sort of a combination of cafe car with snacks (sort of expensive) and the other side of the car has a sit down diner with convection oven heated pre-prepared meals that arent bad! You can look @ the menus for Amtrak trains on Amtrak.com, please do!

You can also carry your own snacks and drinks (non-alcoholic)on to the train, feel free to do so! (they serve Pepsi, no Coke! :eek: )

As to the suwways, WAS Metro is right in Union Station, very convient,just dont ride during "rush hours", NYC is another world as you probably know but it's convient also, just very crowded! The old saying about "travel light and travel right!": is accurate! The snacks are easy to get in NYP (the NY Station)or plenty of other bodegas/convience stores/food carts etc. Plenty of good info here, lots of members willing to help, please ask questions/feel free to contribute, trains are where it's at for sure! ;)
Montgomery does NOT handle checked baggage

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks!

Thanks everyone for the info, I'm enjoying reading the board and learning about train travel!

GaSteve, I live about 3 miles from VA. GA is a good 200+ miles away.
You closer to Montgomery than Charleston or Prince? Both of those have checked baggage.

Amtrak says for onboard pickup:
Onboard ticket pick-up from a conductor is available in limited circumstances, when:
* You pay for your tickets in advance of travel (on Amtrak.com), and

* Your departure station is closed at the time of departure, and

* No other delivery option exists.
If it's between 4 and 10 days in advance, you can either get the tickets express mail for $15 or pick them up onboard for free. If it's more than 10 days, you can get them US Mail. I got tickets for Winslow, AZ-Albuquerque a few months ago, and they did come regular first class mail. There's no charge for first class mail.

If you call in, you can also have them held for pickup at a staffed station.

My understanding is that onboard ticketing is a "last resort", when there's no other way to get you the tickets in time. They don't like to do this as a routine matter.
My bad, the last time I did this, I guess I was within the 10 day window. Glad to hear first class mail is an option.

You closer to Montgomery than Charleston or Prince? Both of those have checked baggage.
Hey you are right, I must of skipped over Prince when I was looking for a station. It is 5 miles closer and it says there is a waiting area. Do you know what parking is like at this stop?

Hey you are right, I must of skipped over Prince when I was looking for a station. It is 5 miles closer and it says there is a waiting area. Do you know what parking is like at this stop?
Hi!

If you go to Google Maps' Satellite View, and search for "Amtrak Station Prince WV," and zoom in really close and then go to Street View (by dragging the little Yellow Man over onto the blue-highlighted highway -- the Amtrak station's sort of out from town quite a ways!), you'll see that there is indeed some parking there, on either side of the station. Don't know how safe it is, or what the crime rate is in rural West Virginia (or if there is a crime rate there!), but there looks like plenty of parking!

One thing you could do is find the local phone number for the Prince station (open and manned Wednesday/Friday/Sunday 8 a.m. to 7:30 p.m.) and call and ask about the parking situation.

Unfortunantely, I do know about Prince. (I was bustituted from there TWICE - ON THE SAME TRIP! :eek: )

It is located way out of town down a (semi) narrow 2 lane road. There is parking on both sides of the station (but not big enough for a bus to turn around!) - but I don't know about overnight parking. It is in a VERY rural spot! ;)

If you use the website to purchase tickets, there used to be a restriction that if the originating station wasn't staffed and didn't have a QuickTrak machine, it would not allow you to choose station pickup (even though you can pick up tickets at any Amtrak station).
This is still the case. If you make a reservation via the Internet, you have to call immediately to have them stop mail delivery.

But then since the reservation as been "changed", you can't use the new internet feature to modify it.

Two design flaws for the price of one here.

If you use the website to purchase tickets, there used to be a restriction that if the originating station wasn't staffed and didn't have a QuickTrak machine, it would not allow you to choose station pickup (even though you can pick up tickets at any Amtrak station).
This is still the case. If you make a reservation via the Internet, you have to call immediately to have them stop mail delivery.

But then since the reservation as been "changed", you can't use the new internet feature to modify it.

I don't think the restriction on station pick up is a flaw, it seems to be a "feature" and one that wasn't always there. It does make sense, if you assume that the average user of the website is not particularly knowledgeable about Amtrak. There may have been cases where tickets were set for station pick-up where the pax arrived at an unstaffed station they had no way to get the tickets. Not having the option makes it more "idiot proof" to idiots, but annoying to the rest of us.

I don't think the restriction on station pick up is a flaw, it seems to be a "feature" and one that wasn't always there.
I think the "two design flaws" that Paul mentions were 1) that you can book online and be given an only choice of mailing the tickets to you, and 2) once you call an agent to say you will pick them up at a staffed station. That negated the opportunity to change the reservation online, because you "revised the reservation"! :rolleyes:

I don't think the restriction on station pick up is a flaw, it seems to be a "feature" and one that wasn't always there. It does make sense, if you assume that the average user of the website is not particularly knowledgeable about Amtrak. There may have been cases where tickets were set for station pick-up where the pax arrived at an unstaffed station they had no way to get the tickets. Not having the option makes it more "idiot proof" to idiots, but annoying to the rest of us.
First of all, "flaw" and "feature" are not mutually exclusive. Granting that IQ's (or is it literacy) in this country are dropping like a rock, I wouldn't be surprised that this is the reasoning behind the first flawed feature. But seriously, how far do you want to take this type of thing? Giving the purchaser choices with a warning in big red letters next to the pick-up option that it can't be done at the departing station; and then a pop-up box with a second warning if they do chose pick-up should suffice. Or at least give those who have the ability to create an account and log on to it the benefit of the doubt.

Now explain the second one. Why does calling the 800 number to overcome the idiot proofing make the reservation not modifiable via the website?

I will admit that it is easy to make a mistake when ordering on-line, no idiocy required. First of all commercial websites are too busy. What I call the action area of the screen, that is where you are working at the current time, is usually squeezed into a small area surrounded by a sea of distractions. Then by the time one struggles through options, finding the right price, etc one is so bleary eyed that a mistake is very possible.You would think that once the seller closes the deal, he could temporarily get rid of all the distracting material.

I once purchased RT tickets to Europe, returning on July 28, when I actually wanted to return on June 28. I was only off by one letter. This was back in the days of dial up internet and by the time I made the decision, I was dead. But I never considered, much less had the chutzpah to complain.

Ok, change of plans!

If we drive an extra hour we can leave from Lynchburg. It shaves 8 hours off our train ride (which is good with a 4 yr old in tow).

How is the parking there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back