Newbie Questions-Texas Eagle / Sunset Lmt? I'm confused

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

musikal

Hello,

I have never travelled by train. I am considering the pros and cons of taking the train from Houston, TX to Tucson, AZ to see my husband- (he is on active military duty and will be leaving for 3 months in Afganistan in June.) I would be traveling alone with 3 children ages 10, 6, and 2. Driving long distances is a problem with toddlers because they get so frustrated being stuck in the car seat, so the idea of the train appeals to me since I can move around or hold the baby in my lap.

I have been reading as much as I can find regarding Amtrak but am confused on exactly what train I would be riding on. Would I be changing trains? Seems like most of the Amtrak veterans speak by train names, but I'm not sure if I'm on the Sunset Limited or the Texas Eagle, or if those are the same thing.. Also, I can't figure out if Houston actually has a train station, or would I be taking a bus to Longview first? Having to transfer in the middle of the night with sleepy kids would definitely make the train less appealing. If someone can set me straight on which and how many trains I would be on, I'd appreciate it. On the booking website, it shows "Sunset Limited" out of Houston, and both "Texas Eagle" and Sunset Limited for the way back, but cheaper on the Sunset Limited. At least that's what I think it shows.

Are the free fares for infants 2 and under, or just "under" 2 (do you need a fare once they turn 2?) Right now the coach fare is $129, so If I get one adult and 2 children I'd pay $258, since the kids are half price. If I have to add a seat for the baby I have to buy another adult ticket since I "exceed the maximum children per adult fare." I'm guessing we'd be spending a lot of time wandering around the train, or she'd be sleeping in my lap, so seat is not strictly needed.

Next question- rooms. This is a budget trip. The family room is going for $780 online one way, so that's really too much to for me. If you get a room, you don't get coach seats, correct, so it's one or the other? I could probably swing the cost of a roomette, but think that would be too small- we could probably all fit in OK for sleeping (2 small kids in one, me and baby in other) but would be too cramped for daytime.... Any thoughts on this? Has anyone done coach only with small kids? Seems like coach would be roomier.

If you have any other things I should know or that would help me make a decision on this, please let me know.

Thanks!

Sarah

As much as I would love to recommend taking the train, I think you are going to have a difficult time making this an inexpensive trip. Amtrak is likely going to require that you book the Family Bedroom, and in all honesty, it is the only room for your situation. Everything else is going to be too small for your family, and you WILL quickly get frustrated by the lack of space in any other room. The Family Bedroom is actually my favorite since it has windows out both sides of the trains, so the kids can pile up on both sides of the room and look out the window, and it will keep them occupied going back and forth between the two windows. You are also on the lowest level of the car which means few people will be passing through to get to other parts of the train, and there are three bathrooms and a shower about 20 feet away. The vestibule area of the car is very near this room as well, which gives you a place to watch the scenery out the doors. The vestibule certainly is not a play area for children, and crew members will need you to stand clear of this area whenever the train stops, but it is a great area for a parent to go to get out of the room for a minute and take a break, yet still be able to see back in to the Family Bedroom to keep an eye on the kids.

The Family Bedroom is expensive, but it is money well spent if you are travelling with that many kids. I doubt Amtrak will let you book any other type of room, and I can tell you from experience that you will go nuts trying to work with that many kids and a smaller room.

Also, you may be able to switch to Coach around Del Rio, TX or westward and save some money. But, the cost of your sleeping accommodations includes all of your meals (Coach passengers have to pay for their meals), so the cost of the sleeper room may be worth it. Also, your family will have a table to themselves when they dine in the Dining Car.

Don't forget to select the Military discount for each of you when you book the tickets. It isn't a huge savings, but it does help. I don't know what info Amtrak asks for when booking this discount, but a copy of your husband's orders and your DoD dependent ID card should suffice if asked for this at the station. Several people I have talked to who are Active Duty or a dependent of AD military have said Amtrak has been very accommodating, as they should be in my opinion.

Hello,

I have never travelled by train. I am considering the pros and cons of taking the train from Houston, TX to Tucson, AZ to see my husband- (he is on active military duty and will be leaving for 3 months in Afganistan in June.) I would be traveling alone with 3 children ages 10, 6, and 2. Driving long distances is a problem with toddlers because they get so frustrated being stuck in the car seat, so the idea of the train appeals to me since I can move around or hold the baby in my lap.

I have been reading as much as I can find regarding Amtrak but am confused on exactly what train I would be riding on. Would I be changing trains? Seems like most of the Amtrak veterans speak by train names, but I'm not sure if I'm on the Sunset Limited or the Texas Eagle, or if those are the same thing.. Also, I can't figure out if Houston actually has a train station, or would I be taking a bus to Longview first? Having to transfer in the middle of the night with sleepy kids would definitely make the train less appealing. If someone can set me straight on which and how many trains I would be on, I'd appreciate it. On the booking website, it shows "Sunset Limited" out of Houston, and both "Texas Eagle" and Sunset Limited for the way back, but cheaper on the Sunset Limited. At least that's what I think it shows.

Are the free fares for infants 2 and under, or just "under" 2 (do you need a fare once they turn 2?) Right now the coach fare is $129, so If I get one adult and 2 children I'd pay $258, since the kids are half price. If I have to add a seat for the baby I have to buy another adult ticket since I "exceed the maximum children per adult fare." I'm guessing we'd be spending a lot of time wandering around the train, or she'd be sleeping in my lap, so seat is not strictly needed.

Next question- rooms. This is a budget trip. The family room is going for $780 online one way, so that's really too much to for me. If you get a room, you don't get coach seats, correct, so it's one or the other? I could probably swing the cost of a roomette, but think that would be too small- we could probably all fit in OK for sleeping (2 small kids in one, me and baby in other) but would be too cramped for daytime.... Any thoughts on this? Has anyone done coach only with small kids? Seems like coach would be roomier.

If you have any other things I should know or that would help me make a decision on this, please let me know.

Thanks!

Sarah
Sarah;

First of all welcome to the site. Secondly, you don't have to be concerned about a bus ride. The Sunset Ltd. and The Texas Eagle become one train in San Antonio; you will NOT have to change trains; Amtrak does all the switching.The train you take out of Houston is the Sunset Ltd. and goes straight through to Tucson. Coach on the Sunset has been dicey at best. They have been only putting two coaches on this train (and one usually has no downstairs seating) and sometimes reach sell outs. Seats together aren't guaranteed but I'm sure if you speak with the coach attendant he/she will be glad to help you out with this matter. The Houston station is really an after thought after Union Staion, or part of it, became the ball park. It is behind the main post office facilities and will probably never win any awards for attractiveness. The area is quite dark at the time you will be boarding but there is a lot of people coming and going so I would feel safe. Have a nice trip! I'm sure others can answer some more of your questions.

Hello Sarah and welcome to the board! You are correct in that children under 2 do not need a ticket. If you are in coach, your youngest can use an unoccupied seat provided it is not needed by a paying passenger. My soon to be one year old (at the time) traveled extensively with me in January and there were no issues whatsoever. We traveled in a sleeper though, which leads me to my next point. Sleeper passengers pay lowest coach fare (called buckets)in addition to thier accomodation. That may sound steep, but being in sleeper does have it's perks. First, meals are provided with the cost of a sleeping accomodation. He loved the mac and cheese and the grilled cheese sandwiches. Dining car personel will just have you sign a meal ticket and your accomodation. Second, you have access to the shower facilities and having a sleeping car attendant on hand to help out with whatever can be invaluable. The Conductor on my Capitol Limited leg in January insisted on babysitting for me. While I considered that above and beyond the call of duty, I took that opportunity to shower and ready my things downstairs for the next day's arrival into Chicago. Also there is a coffee, juice, bottled water and ice station provided in the sleeper car. You just help yourself. If ice isn't readily available/visable, just ask the sleeping car attendant. If you are flexible on travel dates, plug in multiple dates and you might be surprised in fare/accomodation differences. Remember that west of San Antonio, the Sunset Limited is only tri-weekly. Take care and again, welcome. :)

Hello,

I have never traveled by train. I am considering the pros and cons of taking the train from Houston, TX to Tucson, AZ to see my husband- (he is on active military duty and will be leaving for 3 months in Afghanistan in June.) I would be traveling alone with 3 children ages 10, 6, and 2. Driving long distances is a problem with toddlers because they get so frustrated being stuck in the car seat, so the idea of the train appeals to me since I can move around or hold the baby in my lap.

Thanks!

Sarah
Sarah,

Traveling by train is great with kids. I went with my sister's family (6 kids at the time, now 8!) from Houston to LA and back in 2006. We had a great time.

I do enjoy traveling first class whenever possible. With that said, if the budget is the prime consideration then I would tell you to go coach, especially westbound. Amtrak coach is not like airline coach or Greyhound coach. The seats are big and comfortable, they recline way back, and there are cushioned leg rests which fold out like you would find in a recliner. Most all of the coaches have even been refitted with electric outlets at every seat so you can plug in a DVD player or recharge a cell phone. Here are my two nephews in coach during a 4th of July trip last year:

100_0925-300x225.jpg

Take along a pillow from home (Amtrak provides small travel pillows, about the size of a large paperback book, but a real pillow is better) and a light blanket and everyone should sleep comfy. Being seated together is a concern, I know, but don't stress out about it. When the conductor sees that you are traveling with small children he will make every effort to put you together, even to telling other passengers that they need to move.

First class sleeper service is great if you can afford it, but be advised that with the size of your party you would need (not want, NEED) two adjacent roomettes or the Family Bedroom. It is difficult to convey exactly how small an Amtrak roomette is to someone who has never experienced it. Two kids can NOT share a roomette bed if either one of them is over two. Trust me on this. If your budget has a little stretch in it then try booking sleepers on the way back, when you will be traveling for two nights. If not, then travel in coach with no regrets.

You can also save a little by packing a lunch, and DEFINITELY pack your own snacks. Snacks can be bought on board from the café car, but only at movie-theater type prices. The regular menu items in the café car are a bit higher than convenience-store prices, but not outrageous. Do try to eat at least some meals in the dining car; it is still a wonderful experience to dine while watching the scenery roll by. The food is comparable to a "family restaurant" and while the prices are high at first glance, keep in mind that they include tax and coffee, tea or milk plus (at breakfast) choice of juice (Sodas are extra). Here is a sample dining car menu. If you must skip diner meals to economize then skip lunch first, dinner second, but don't skip breakfast unless you are traveling on the proverbial shoestring.

DEFINITELY find the Amtrak station in Houston well in advance of your departure; I still have to talk my mother to it via cell phone every time I arrive even though she's picked me up at least a half dozen times. Do NOT park long-term at the Houston Amtrak station; while the area is OK in daylight and at train time there is no security overnight and cars do get vandalized. Have a friend drop you off and pick you up...and make sure HE knows how to find the station!

Disclaimer: I work part time as a professional travel agent. I hope that you have a great trip!

Last edited by a moderator:
Children who have turned two need a ticket. In your situation you would need two adult and two child tickets as per Amtrak's normal policy. You can always ask to see if they can make an exception; the worst they can do is tell you no.

:hi: Welcome and Thanks to your Husband for his Service and to your Military Family, I grew up in one myself so Know What Sacrifices You Have to Make to Maintain your Family Life!

The other Posters have all given Excellent Advice, if you can get the Military Discount on the Coach Fare it Will Help Some! Let me Urge You, if You can Afford It, to Consider Taking the Family Room, as has been Mentioned it Includes Meals Which Can be Pricey for 4, Plus the Shower and Beds and Space for ALL.! The Trip West has an Overnite in the San Antonio Station from like 2AM to 5:45AM, then Arrives in Tuscon around 11PM. This Leg would be the One to have the Family Bedroom IMO. Returning you would leave Tuscon @ 100AM, arrive into Houston at 4:40AM with only a Couple of Hours in the San Antonio Station.As has been Said, this is the Sunset Ltd. which only runs Three Days a Week in Each Direction.

With Gas Continuing to Go Up (Why Except for Geed??? :angry: )and Considering the Cost of Meals,Motel etc. All Things Considered, if you Really Cant Afford the Family Room I'm Going to Commit Heresay on this Site and Say You May Want to Look into Flying!!! :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! A lot of different answers for the poor woman. Some people answered as if she were taking coach but not mentioning that fact. While everyone spoke the truth, may I summarize the facts and add some missing info:

If traveling by coach, you will get large comfortable seats with each seat having a tray. In addition, you will be able at almost any time day or night to go to the cafe/lounge car which has tables and chairs and/or bench seats so the kids can spread out, eat something and you can relax and talk with other adults while still keeping an eye on them. You will have to buy your own meals. Snacks are NOT at movie theater prices but for a family, prices can add up so bring a bunch with you to save money. You might even bring sandwiches but with 3 kids, a cooler is out of the question. Dining room prices can be expensive for families since kids tend to want more than they eat so consider the cafe prices. Food is not served 24 hours a day but you can eat your own at your seat or in cafe/lounge car at any time.

If you decide to splurge on a sleeper, look at both the family bedroom and 2-roomette prices. Sometimes 2 roomettes are cheaper than a bedroom. Remember, in a sleeper, all meals are included. So the kids can have what they want and it costs nothing extra. However, between meal snacks are not included so bring some of them along. In the sleeper, there is room for the kids to spread out a little especially in family bedroom where they can probably sit on floor playing as well as sitting in seats. You also have full access to cafe/lounge car to spread out some more and for a change of scenery (inside scenery not outside). Roomettes will have bathrooms and showers down the hall. Not a big deal. If you go with 2 roomettes be sure to ask for them across from each other so you can keep a better eye on the kids. The sleeper beds at night become the seats during the day so you don't need separate coach seats BUT YOU MUST BUY COACH TICKETS so you pay coach prices for the sleeper PLUS the sleeper price.

Let people know your situation. You will be surprised at how friendly and helpful fellow passengers and crew can be if they realize what is going on.

If you opt for coach seats, then as soon as you get aboard, seek out the conductor (not the car attendant - ask for the conductor or assistant conductor). Explain about going to see your husband headed for a war zone and ask if there are any available rooms and if he/she can give you a deal on them. Conductors are authorized to sell unused rooms and can set the price. You may get a good deal on an upgrade. As an alternative, each day before travel day, check the amsnag site http://biketrain.netfirms.com/amsnag/amSnag.php to see if the price on roomettes or family bedroom has gone down. If so, call immediately and see if you can grab it. Amtrak prices vary based on supply and demand.

Best of luck whatever you decide.

Just to clarify: Every passenger (age 2 or over) needs to have a rail fare (coach fare) ticket (half price for ages 2-15, limit 2 per adult passenger).

To upgrade to sleeper service, you add an accommodation charge PER ROOM, not per person. You pay the same accommodation charge regardless of whether you have 1 or 2 passengers in a roomette, or 1-4 passengers in a family bedroom.

The above poster is correct that you can snag a "deal" from the conductor IF rooms are unsold at train time. That's a big if; sleeper accommodations often sell out months in advance. Still, there can always be no-shows.

tll the above gave good advice, but allow me to make a few corrections and/or explanations:

1. The Sunset Limited (even between Houston and San Antonio) only operates 3 days a week in each direction. Between LA and San Antonio, both the Sunset Limited and Texas Eagle operate as one train. At San Antonio, the Texas Eagle heads north to Chicago, while the Sunset Limited heads east to New Orleans (including Houston).
  2. If is true that children under 2 are half priced, if they are over 2 but look under 2, I really doubt they're going to demand proof.
  3. With a sleeper ticket, you DO NOT purchase a coach seat AND a room. You purchase rail fare AND the room! And the cost of the room is per room, not per person.

Let people know your situation. You will be surprised at how friendly and helpful fellow passengers and crew can be if they realize what is going on.

If you opt for coach seats, then as soon as you get aboard, seek out the conductor (not the car attendant - ask for the conductor or assistant conductor). Explain about going to see your husband headed for a war zone and ask if there are any available rooms and if he/she can give you a deal on them. Conductors are authorized to sell unused rooms and can set the price.

Best of luck whatever you decide.
You certainly have gone to great lengths to help this lady out and I admire you for that. But just when has the conductor obtained the authority to set sleeper prices on board? I could be dead wrong but I don't think I'd want to steer this brave lady in the wrong direction.

Conductors are authorized to sell unused rooms and can set the price. You may get a good deal on an upgrade.
While conductors are indeed authorized to sell unused rooms, they do not set the price. The conductor calls in to Amtrak and is told the price to sell that room at. And that price is always going to be the low bucket price for that room on that run.

You certainly have gone to great lengths to help this lady out and I admire you for that. But just when has the conductor obtained the authority to set sleeper prices on board? I could be dead wrong but I don't think I'd want to steer this brave lady in the wrong direction.

Conductors are authorized to sell unused rooms and can set the price. You may get a good deal on an upgrade.
While conductors are indeed authorized to sell unused rooms, they do not set the price. The conductor calls in to Amtrak and is told the price to sell that room at. And that price is always going to be the low bucket price for that room on that run.
My error. That's why it is a forum - to get multiple comments and corrections where misinformation is provided.

You don't say what dates you are looking at. The later you wait the more expensive it is going to be due to the summer crunch. Most dates I looked at the family room and bedrooms are already sold out. Roomettes are getting more expensive. You will only be on the train for one night westbound(and almost three hours of that are stopped in the San Antonio station) so coach may be best if you are on a budget. Eastbound the train leaves Tucson at 1:55am and gets into Houston at 4:40am so maybe you can splurge for a room on that leg. The advantage of a room is privacy. If you can afford it then it's a great feature. If you decide to fly, the price of four tickets is going to be much more than the train even if you decide to get a room on the train. Coach on these trains is very comfortable with large reclining seats and lots of leg room. You can just eat in the lounge car much cheaper than the diner. They have hamburgers and pizza and sandwiches plus all sorts of soft drinks. Remember, the 6 and 10 year olds can roam the train pretty much on their own. Just locate them before a station stop. The train staff is very friendly and helpful on the Sunset Limited. The station in Houston is alright, it is just hard to find. You get to it by taking Washington Ave toward downtown and where it splits to become Franklin you just continue on Washington Ave for one block which is a dead end street. Amtrak is on the left and is pretty much the only option. You really can't leave your car there so have a friend take you there and pick you up. The station in Tucson is downtown and is very nice. The train leaves Houston on Monday, Wednesday and Fridays at 9:50pm and is often early arriving from Beaumont. It arrives in Tucson at 9:40pm the next day. The train leaves Tucson on Monday, Thursday and Saturday at 1:15am so you are really leaving for the station on Sunday, Wednesday and Friday evenings. It arrives in Houston at 4:40am the next day. As you surmised at the start, taking the train will be much less stressful than driving. Have a fun trip.

tll the above gave good advice, but allow me to make a few corrections and/or explanations:

1. The Sunset Limited (even between Houston and San Antonio) only operates 3 days a week in each direction. Between LA and San Antonio, both the Sunset Limited and Texas Eagle operate as one train. At San Antonio, the Texas Eagle heads north to Chicago, while the Sunset Limited heads east to New Orleans (including Houston).
  2. If is true that children under 2 are half priced, if they are over 2 but look under 2, I really doubt they're going to demand proof.
  3. With a sleeper ticket, you DO NOT purchase a coach seat AND a room. You purchase rail fare AND the room! And the cost of the room is per room, not per person.
:blush: Doh! As far as the Sunset Limited being entirely tri-weekly. I always see it from my northern perspective down to San Antonio. :lol: Mea Culpa

Hello,

Thanks!

Sarah
Sarah;

First of all welcome to the site. Secondly, you don't have to be concerned about a bus ride. The Sunset Ltd. and The Texas Eagle become one train in San Antonio; you will NOT have to change trains; Amtrak does all the switching.The train you take out of Houston is the Sunset Ltd. and goes straight through to Tucson. Coach on the Sunset has been dicey at best. They have been only putting two coaches on this train (and one usually has no downstairs seating) and sometimes reach sell outs. Seats together aren't guaranteed but I'm sure if you speak with the coach attendant he/she will be glad to help you out with this matter. The Houston station is really an after thought after Union Staion, or part of it, became the ball park. It is behind the main post office facilities and will probably never win any awards for attractiveness. The area is quite dark at the time you will be boarding but there is a lot of people coming and going so I would feel safe. Have a nice trip! I'm sure others can answer some more of your questions.
Let me just add about the Houston station since I am from there...Houston had two train stations way back in BA (before Amtrak) and I guess Amtrak opted to keep the cheaper to maintain station. Moving forward, one thing to consider about coach vs sleeper is sleepers you meals are included. Between Houston and Tuscon you will have 1 breakfast, 1 lunch and 1 dinner. Even doing cheap dinner for everyone would come out to $51. Follow this link to see a sample menu for the route you will be on... http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/BlobServer?blobcol=urldata&blobtable=MungoBlobs&blobkey=id&blobwhere=1249225077002&blobheader=application%2Fpdf&blobheadername1=Content-disposition&blobheadervalue1=attachment;filename=Amtrak_National_DiningCarMenu_201104.pdf

Hi everyone!

Thanks for all the advice. It's good to know I won't be having to change trains, etc, because that was a big concern. Right now I am planning to get the coach tickets, since the consensus seems to be that it is doable with kids.

Wanted to respond to a couple of posters-

1. Train vs flying- Right now I can get airfare for around $250 a seat, but that is round trip, vs adult coach $129 one way on the train. So I'd pay $1000 round trip to fly and about $775 (with the kids discount) round trip on the train. Adding the $780 sleeper car both ways makes the train travel more than double the cost of flying. I don't really want to fly because of all the hassle with security, etc, but it's certainly comparable cost wise, and of course quicker.

I did some searches on AmSnag on various dates, up to 10, 11, 12 months out, and always came up with the $780 family room, so I am guessing that is the low bucket price? So I don't know if it would help me to try to upgrade in route.

2. Cost of meals- I know several of you mentioned the savings in first class since meals are free, but my kids would both be eating off the kids menu, and the baby eats off my plate- so the most I would be paying for a meal, even at dinnertime, would be about $26 since the kids meals are $3.50-$6.00. I figured my cost for all three meals would be around $75, so not a big savings.

I have a few other questions for you-

How early do you recommend arriving at the station? When are you able to start boarding the train? I will be having to bring car seats with me, do you check them somewhere or give them to someone on the train? (one problem with flying is that you have to lug those things throughout the whole airport if you want to gate check them.) Can I have someone help me get everything loaded on the train or is there tight security -I'm especially thinking of the ride back home when the train boards at 1:15 am or so- could my husband help me load the (probably sleeping) kiddos on the train or would he not be able to help since he wouldn't have a ticket?

Are there announcements or something about when you are coming to a station? Since I would be getting home in the middle of the night I wouldn't want to miss it.

How safe are things on the train? I would be bringing a laptop, video games for the kids, etc. Can they be left in the seat when you go to meals or whatever, or do you need to take them with you?

How early do you recommend arriving at the station? When are you able to start boarding the train? I will be having to bring car seats with me, do you check them somewhere or give them to someone on the train? (one problem with flying is that you have to lug those things throughout the whole airport if you want to gate check them.) Can I have someone help me get everything loaded on the train or is there tight security -I'm especially thinking of the ride back home when the train boards at 1:15 am or so- could my husband help me load the (probably sleeping) kiddos on the train or would he not be able to help since he wouldn't have a ticket?

Are there announcements or something about when you are coming to a station? Since I would be getting home in the middle of the night I wouldn't want to miss it.

How safe are things on the train? I would be bringing a laptop, video games for the kids, etc. Can they be left in the seat when you go to meals or whatever, or do you need to take them with you?
Only one allowed per person!
laugh.gif
No really ask all you want! (We only charge after the 84th question!
mosking.gif
)

If you know where the station is and are not checking any bags, 15 minutes is fine. If checking bags, they do not accept any checked bags less than 30 minutes prior to departure time.

When are you allowed to start boarding?
huh.gif
Not until the train arrives!
mosking.gif

Car seats can be brought on the train. And remember that many things are not included in the carry-on limit, including

• Purses
  • Car Seats
  • Coats
  • Sweaters
  • Computers
  • Games for the kids
  • Etc...

And the limit is 2 per TICKETED passenger! And since your kids have tickets, they are allowed the same as you! But I've never seen the limit strictly enforced!

I'm almost sure that you can get help - especially on the return. Just be sure to let them know what's going on first! (Just so the train doesn't leave with your husband still aboard!)

They do wake you about 15 minutes or so before your stop.

I would either carry my valuables with me (especially your purse) or put them out of sight (like under a coat or in the overhead luggage rack). I've never had a problem myself.

With 3 kids, (although your oldest should be able to help) I would absolutely check everything that you possibly can (including car seats) to make getting on/off the train as smooth and as easy as possible by only carrying what you're going to need on the train.

This will separate the "dealing with car seats and baggage" part of the trip from the "getting on and off the train" part of the trip - split the tasks up to make them easier...

That said, I would imagine that a mother with kids (especially the mother of a US serviceman) would have people tripping over themselves to help out in any way that they could.

Hi everyone!

Thanks for all the advice. It's good to know I won't be having to change trains, etc, because that was a big concern. Right now I am planning to get the coach tickets, since the consensus seems to be that it is doable with kids.

Wanted to respond to a couple of posters-

1. Train vs flying- Right now I can get airfare for around $250 a seat, but that is round trip, vs adult coach $129 one way on the train. So I'd pay $1000 round trip to fly and about $775 (with the kids discount) round trip on the train. Adding the $780 sleeper car both ways makes the train travel more than double the cost of flying. I don't really want to fly because of all the hassle with security, etc, but it's certainly comparable cost wise, and of course quicker.

I did some searches on AmSnag on various dates, up to 10, 11, 12 months out, and always came up with the $780 family room, so I am guessing that is the low bucket price? So I don't know if it would help me to try to upgrade in route.

2. Cost of meals- I know several of you mentioned the savings in first class since meals are free, but my kids would both be eating off the kids menu, and the baby eats off my plate- so the most I would be paying for a meal, even at dinnertime, would be about $26 since the kids meals are $3.50-$6.00. I figured my cost for all three meals would be around $75, so not a big savings.

WOW! Mommy is checking us out...the train stops for quite a while in Tucson as , IIRC, it is a smoking stop and quite a few people board/de-train. Your husband will have ample time to help you load everybody on board. Be aware that Amtrak has just raised priced in the diners; I haven't seen the cafe menu yet but I'm sure it'll follow suit. One suggestion that might help; if you go downstairs (the Superliners are double deckers) and purchase some goodies for the tribe, try and get two tables towards the end of the car away from the food station. There is everything you need there including a potty for the tykes. The kids ought to get a kick out of watching the country side go by at 79 mph on the lower level and if mommy brings some games and coloring books you can pass some serious time in this cubby hole. You can ask all the questions you need but there is nothing to compare to the day you set foot on board. Enjoy!

Hello,

Thanks!

Sarah
Sarah;

Let me just add about the Houston station since I am from there...Houston had two train stations way back in BA (before Amtrak) and I guess Amtrak opted to keep the cheaper to maintain station. Moving forward, one thing to consider about coach vs sleeper is sleepers you meals are included. Between Houston and Tuscon you will have 1 breakfast, 1 lunch and 1 dinner. Even doing cheap dinner for everyone would come out to $51. Follow this link to see a sample menu for the route you will be on... http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/BlobServer?blobcol=urldata&blobtable=MungoBlobs&blobkey=id&blobwhere=1249225077002&blobheader=application%2Fpdf&blobheadername1=Content-disposition&blobheadervalue1=attachment;filename=Amtrak_National_DiningCarMenu_201104.pdf
The Mighty MOP (Missouri Pacific) used Union Station for quite a while after Amtrak showed up. I visited it a couple of times and was amazed at all the tracks converging on the station from all directions. My son lived in a Loft at the Ball Park and some of those tracks are still in the streets and parking lots.

Hi everyone!

Here are my answers and I live in Houston. The train stops in Houston for over 30 minutes and is often early. So I would get to the station one hour before departure at least. The Houston station is small and there are only two attendants. But they will check your bags for you. I doubt if they will be able to help you board as they are quite busy at train time. However, you can have whoever brings you to the station help you get on board. There is no problem parking at the Houston station and it is free. Also, the train stops in Houston long enough that they can get on board with you and help you get seated. Boarding starts as soon as the train arrives. Be sure and take any personal items including baby formula and whatever as you will not have access to your checked baggage after you board. I think there are carts at the Houston station if you need them, but the car attendant will help you when you get to the train. There is basically no other help available at the Houston station. Security.....forget airlines, there is no formal security when boarding or riding the Sunset Limited. Train travel is very laid back and informal. You may have to show an ID and your tickets when you check your baggage. Security on the train........All I can say is, if you do not give someone the opportunity to take something then that is the best policy. Do not leave lap tops, cell phones, cameras or your purse laying around unatended. If you happen to meet and befriend a fellow passenger on the train you can ask them to watch after your things for a brief period. Generally there is no problem, but why take the chance.

There are announcements constantly on the train about diner times, lounge attendant times, stations stops and whatever else. The car attendant or conductor will make sure you get off at the right station. Just remind him that you are getting off at Houston.

The train stops in Tucson for over 50 minutes so yes your husband can accompany you onto the train and help you get seated. It's very informal. Train travel is unique so have a great trip and give us a report when you get back.

Just like airlines or anything else, check the if the train is on time before going to the station so you are not stuck waiting for a long period. The Sunset is usually on time or early, but things happen such as the wildfires out west a few days ago.

I just want to add that in 1979 I was 14 and my whole family took a round trip from Houston to Tucson and back. we went the whole way in coach and I had a great time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back