Newbern, TN Amtrak Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can people still pay cash on board for tickets at unstaffed stations? Not everyone has a credit or debit card, and may not have immediate access to the website or phone to call in a reservation. Plus, what if someone gets last minute news that they need to take a trip right away (loved one passing away, urgent business trip, etc.)? I don't think it's necessary to limit Amtrak's sales in such a way, at least in the vast majority of cases.

Can people still pay cash on board for tickets at unstaffed stations? Not everyone has a credit or debit card, and may not have immediate access to the website or phone to call in a reservation. Plus, what if someone gets last minute news that they need to take a trip right away (loved one passing away, urgent business trip, etc.)? I don't think it's necessary to limit Amtrak's sales in such a way, at least in the vast majority of cases.
So if the CONO is early to Newbern or some other station it should have to wait until the scheduled time even if no passengers are there to board just in case one last minute passenger shows up and most likely won't? That's wasting time and may hurt OTP.

I am assuming if the train is late it doesn't have to stop if it doesn't have to discharge any passengers and doesn't see passengers waiting to board. I think in this situation it is fair to expect passengers to purchase at least by the time the train is scheduled to depart.

How about in the event of a sold out train you know you're not going to pick up any last minute passengers so those trains stop only to discharge/receive passengers and can leave stations early if no one is scheduled to board at that station (or if all reserved passengers at that station have already boarded)?

They are called reserved trains for a reason.

https://www.amtrak.com/at-the-station

"Please arrive at the station at least 30 minutes before your train is scheduled to depart"

So let's use the 30 minute rule. Take the "please" out of the equation and require it.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is how it is right now, unless the station is marked as D or L the train will wait for the scheduled time.

Newbern station is open and heated. Restrooms and benches. Newbern police kept riding by keeping an eye on us.

Newbern station is open and heated. Restrooms and benches. Newbern police kept riding by keeping an eye on us.
Did you happen to notice how much long term parking was? Is it a "gated" area or anyone can park anywhere and leave their card there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back