New York Walk on a Sunday

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

p&sr

OBS Chief
Hello! I'll be passing through New York City on a Sunday in May. Arriving from Boston on the Regional at 1:50 PM, then Departing on the LSL at 3:45 PM. Would this give sufficient time to see Grand Central Terminal? What about a transfer at New Rochelle to Metro North, which might pull in to GCT about 2:30. Would it be a good idea to walk west on 42nd St to Times Square, then south on 7th Ave to Penn Station? Or is the Subway a better idea ("S"-line, then 1-2-or-3)? Or is all of this "cutting it too close" for a "must-not-miss" connection?

I'm not at all familiar with Manhattan, but do OK walking in other cities... Boston, Chicago, San Francisco, Los Angeles etc.

Hello! I'll be passing through New York City on a Sunday in May. Arriving from Boston on the Regional at 1:50 PM, then Departing on the LSL at 3:45 PM. Would this give sufficient time to see Grand Central Terminal? What about a transfer at New Rochelle to Metro North, which might pull in to GCT about 2:30. Would it be a good idea to walk west on 42nd St to Times Square, then south on 7th Ave to Penn Station? Or is the Subway a better idea ("S"-line, then 1-2-or-3)? Or is all of this "cutting it too close" for a "must-not-miss" connection?
I'm not at all familiar with Manhattan, but do OK walking in other cities... Boston, Chicago, San Francisco, Los Angeles etc.
You will only have an hour and a half before the LSL boards. It is not enough time to see Grand Central. Penn Station is a big station, so you should focus on getting to the LSL. Does the way back have a longer layover?

I'll leave someone else to comment on the connection, but if you did ok walking around Boston, you should have no problem with Manhattan. For the most part, all streets are in a numbered and grided pattern, so you shouldn't have much trouble at all.

You're going to be tight for time. It's about a twenty minute walk between the stations. So that's 40 minutes round trip. But it's doable as long as you arrive in NY on time. It would safely give you about 45 minutes to see Grand Central. You can save a few minutes by taking the subway between the stations but there's a transfer involved and doesn't really save much time. Walking is fine, there will be plenty of people on the streets during the day. Your idea of walking to 42 st and then over to GCT is fine. Just avoid 8'th Avenue. Walk on 7'th Avenue.

Last edited by a moderator:
...Your idea of walking to 42 st and then over to GCT is fine. Just avoid 8'th Avenue. Walk on 7'th Avenue.
Particularly since 8th Avenue would be in the wrong direction.

My usual route from NYP to GCT is to head out of Penn and shoot east on 32nd to Park Avenue then head up Park Avenue to Grand Central. It a very pleasant walk through some very nice neighborhoods. Walking around Manhattan is pretty safe at all times of the day.

What about a transfer at New Rochelle to Metro North, which might pull in to GCT about 2:30.
I'd also look at the schedule to see what a transfer at Stamford might do for you. Metro North has express trains from Stamford to GCT, so it might be easier and perhaps even slightly faster to catch an express out of Stamford.

Failing that, if MN out of New Rochelle can't get you to GCT earlier than 2:30, you'd probably do just as well either walking or taking the subways between Penn and GCT. And one thing to factor into the walking angle is that I have to assume that you'll be dragging at least some luggage, which will slow you down. On the other hand, since it's a Sunday, subway service is a bit less frequent, and therefore probably will take almost as long as walking.

On the other hand, since it's a Sunday, subway service is a bit less frequent, and therefore probably will take almost as long as walking.
Thanks everybody for the helpful perspectives. Decision to be made when I get there, depending how everything else goes. I'll let you all know in my Trip Report at the end of May.

I'll leave someone else to comment on the connection, but if you did ok walking around Boston, you should have no problem with Manhattan. For the most part, all streets are in a numbered and grided pattern, so you shouldn't have much trouble at all.
Yes. Just don't go below 14th St, and the grid pattern should be quite regular. Below 14th St you will come across weirdnesses like W 4th St crossing 11th St.! But since it appears you want to go to GCT you should be fine.

If you decide to take the subway take the 7th Ave line (1, 2, 3) uptown one stop to Times Square and then S across to GCT. You are likely to find the most frequent service even on a Sunday using this routing.

I've done that walk a few times, and I've taken 1/2/3 -> S subway routing, too. They are both pretty good. Just don't do A/C/E -> S. The walk between them under Times Square is a killer, up stairs, down stairs, loop de loops (ok, I exaggerate but it feels like it) and it must be a good half mile walk or more.

Just don't do A/C/E -> S. The walk between them under Times Square is a killer, up stairs, down stairs... and it must be a good half mile walk or more.
Thanks! It sounds like taking this particular Subway routing involves just as much walking as doing the whole trip on the surface... and with more stairs for sure!

Just don't do A/C/E -> S. The walk between them under Times Square is a killer, up stairs, down stairs... and it must be a good half mile walk or more.
Thanks! It sounds like taking this particular Subway routing involves just as much walking as doing the whole trip on the surface... and with more stairs for sure!
Actually, if you perchance happen to take A/C/E from 34th St./8th Ave to 42nd St./Port Authority, then follows signs to the underground pedestrian corridor to Times Square and while walking down it take the first set of stairs to you left down to the #7 line. This is a much shorter walk than trying to find S. Take 7 to its second stop which is GCT.

You can also take the M4 bus it starts on 32d Street just beyond the Penn Station entrance on 7th Avenue. You can catch it on the way back at 5th Avenue and it goes back to Penn Station.

...Your idea of walking to 42 st and then over to GCT is fine. Just avoid 8'th Avenue. Walk on 7'th Avenue.

My usual route from NYP to GCT is to head out of Penn and shoot east on 32nd to Park Avenue then head up Park Avenue to Grand Central. It a very pleasant walk through some very nice neighborhoods. Walking around Manhattan is pretty safe at all times of the day.
Huh? Why is 8'th Avenue the wrong direction? Yes it's a bit further west but it's a direct exit from Penn Station. But anyway

it's to be avoided. You either have to cut through the station to Seventh Avenue or exit on 8'th.

Huh? Why is 8'th Avenue the wrong direction? Yes it's a bit further west but it's a direct exit from Penn Station. But anyway

it's to be avoided. You either have to cut through the station to Seventh Avenue or exit on 8'th.
While I agree that walking 8th takes one out of one's way if one is headed for GCT, there is nothing wrong with 8th Avenue if you're going north from Penn. I've walked up that way many times to the Port Authority Bus Terminal on 42nd Street.

I wouldn't recomend going south on 8th, or further west of 8th, but 8th itself isn't bad.

There is also a direct exit from the LIRR concourse at 34th Street which would probably be the best exit to use to head towards GCT on foot as puts you pretty much on the corner of 34th and 7th Ave.

Don't confuse the poor lad. Penn Station is a-MAZE-ing enough for us locals.

If you wanna hoof it, find the first exit and take it from there.

I am very confident that, especially on a Sunday, you should have no problem getting from Penn to GCT and back in less than 1hour 30 minutes. If are willing to take a taxi one-way (probably $5 - $10), you could probably do it in just over an hour. I would forget about the Metro North plan....Also, check the departure time for the LSL, I think it leaves at 3:55, meaning you don't need to be there until about 3:40. Best way to walk to GCT is 1. Exit to the Long Island RR concourse and use their 34 st. escalators at the east side of the station (LIRR concourse is one level below Amtrak ticketing level). Walk briskly in a zig zag path up 7th ave and across 6th, 5th and then to Park, going with the lights, trying not to stop for any lights. THis should put you on Park and roughly 38th st at about 2:15 PM. Then you are only 4 short blocks south of GCT which you will see right in front of you (Metlife, formerly PanAm building is on top). Therefore, you will easily be there by 2:30, giving you a good 30 minutes to look around. At 3PM, i would head back to Penn. If you are comfortable with your trip up, you can easily walk back in 20-25 minutes, else take a cab. You should be back at Penn before 3:30. There are only two things that could go wrong 1. a parade on 5th avenue (check this out beforehand on google) OR heavy rain, which would negate your walking plans and made a cab hard to find. I don't recommend the subway on Sundays (unless you really want to experience a NY subway, because they run less frequently on Sundays (could be a 10 minute wait) and the MTA is planning on major service cutbacks this spring. Any option is pretty safe, just don't look like a tourist (tourists wear tshirts and jeans and look up a lot). I hope you enjoy your visit!

Any option is pretty safe, just don't look like a tourist (tourists wear tshirts and jeans and look up a lot). I hope you enjoy your visit!
Actually, it's not tourists who wear t-shirts and jeans...it's people from the West Coast and Midwest! Someone wearing a t-shirt and jeans would not look one bit out of place in Los Angeles, Anchorage, Denver, or even Chicago.

I realized this last December while in NYC just how much better-dressed New Yorkers are than those of us from the West Coast. My winter wear is jeans and a t-shirt (a polo shirt if I really want to look sharp) with a Columbia ski jacket over that. In New York, if you're not wearing a suit with an overcoat and scarf, you're obviously not from around there! :D

Actually, in all seriousness, I'd love a rundown of what exactly to wear in order to fit in and not look like a tourist in NY--sort of a "Fashion for [West Coast] Dummies"-type treatment... :lol:

Take a taxi. They are at either 7th or 8th avenues for Penn and on Vanderbuilt for GCT. On Sunday, it will take 10 minutes each way.

It is certainly worth the time and effort to see GCT since the restoration. Enjoy.

Any option is pretty safe, just don't look like a tourist (tourists wear tshirts and jeans and look up a lot). I hope you enjoy your visit!
Actually, it's not tourists who wear t-shirts and jeans...it's people from the West Coast and Midwest! Someone wearing a t-shirt and jeans would not look one bit out of place in Los Angeles, Anchorage, Denver, or even Chicago.

I realized this last December while in NYC just how much better-dressed New Yorkers are than those of us from the West Coast. My winter wear is jeans and a t-shirt (a polo shirt if I really want to look sharp) with a Columbia ski jacket over that. In New York, if you're not wearing a suit with an overcoat and scarf, you're obviously not from around there! :D

Actually, in all seriousness, I'd love a rundown of what exactly to wear in order to fit in and not look like a tourist in NY--sort of a "Fashion for [West Coast] Dummies"-type treatment... :lol:
The first step is to wear black. This is a NY tradition. Second, if you are a male, wear a collared shirt, a wool or cotton blend pants and Italian (or Italian looking) shoes (black of course). We New Yorkers also try to look expressionless, which is kind of a game face thing to ward off "muggers" (a term from the 70s). If you are a female, I have no idea what to recommend but if you watch the recent movie "The Devil Wears Prada", you might get some insights. You are right about us over wearing suits ...when I was young, I was invited to a pool party in Florida. I showed up in a three piece suit and, as you can imagine, was quickly identified as a New Yorker and felt miserably out of place. I honestly didn't know any better...Good luck.

The first step is to wear black. This is a NY tradition. Second, if you are a male, wear a collared shirt, a wool or cotton blend pants and Italian (or Italian looking) shoes (black of course). We New Yorkers also try to look expressionless, which is kind of a game face thing to ward off "muggers" (a term from the 70s). If you are a female, I have no idea what to recommend but if you watch the recent movie "The Devil Wears Prada", you might get some insights. You are right about us over wearing suits ...when I was young, I was invited to a pool party in Florida. I showed up in a three piece suit and, as you can imagine, was quickly identified as a New Yorker and felt miserably out of place. I honestly didn't know any better...Good luck.
Male...and thanks for the tips! :)

It is certainly worth the time and effort to see GCT since the restoration. Enjoy.
Lord have mercy, it is certainly worth the effort just to see the main room. I've been going through there since 1981 and it was a revelation. Go! Go! Go!

Of course, it's also a sin to go to Grand Central Terminal and not eat a dozen oysters at the Grand Central Oyster Bar, but probably only a venial sin. After all, you do have a train to catch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back