New York State Gearing up for PRIIA Charges

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jis

Permanent Way Inspector
Staff member
Administator
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
From the Times Union

Gov. Andrew Cuomo's budget proposal for 2012-13 includes a $9.7 million increase in state support for Amtrak, money that would be used when the time comes to cover operating losses.

State officials, speaking on background, say they're setting aside the money so that train services can continue, and that they're expecting to have more say in how those services are provided.

The state's five-year capital plan shows $26.62 million in the 2012-13 budget to cover operating and capital costs. That figure rises to $44.36 million in fiscal year 2014, and then to $54.33 million in each of the following three fiscal years.
Read more: http://www.timesunion.com/business/article/Paying-for-say-in-Amtrak-services-2642307.php#ixzz1k12RWJzD

Rumor has it that this plan includes the additional $1 to $2 million per year needed to restore food service on all Empire Corridor trains between New York and Albany.

If true this is all overall very good news for the Empire Corridor. We the members of the Empire State Passenger Association expect to hear more definitive plans at the annual meeting in March/April, which of course, I will report back here.

The state's five-year capital plan shows $26.62 million in the 2012-13 budget to cover operating and capital costs. That figure rises to $44.36 million in fiscal year 2014, and then to $54.33 million in each of the following three fiscal years.
The growth from $26 million to $44 million to $54 million suggests to me that NY State is either anticipating higher fees and losses from Amtrak after FY13 or maybe planning to pay for increases in service frequency? With Amtrak in control of the line to Schenectady along with track upgrades, that provides options for more daily NYP-ALB trains, another Empire train to Niagara Falls (if CSX cooperates), and/or maybe a 2nd Adirondack after a new customs facility & arrangement is in place in Montreal?

I would be willing to bet that some of the increase has to do with the fact that the state fiscal year doesn't correspond to the schedule for implementing section 209. There was also some discussion of a phase in for the states losing basic system routes.

The growth from $26 million to $44 million to $54 million suggests to me that NY State is either anticipating higher fees and losses from Amtrak after FY13 or maybe planning to pay for increases in service frequency? With Amtrak in control of the line to Schenectady along with track upgrades, that provides options for more daily NYP-ALB trains, another Empire train to Niagara Falls (if CSX cooperates), and/or maybe a 2nd Adirondack after a new customs facility & arrangement is in place in Montreal?
You have to keep in mind that those numbers are total Capital plus Ops for each year. There is Capital increase to cover for upgrades west of Hoffmans, and also upgrading Poughkeepsie to Schenectady in various possible segments to 125mph, plus acquiring capable equipment as needed too. I am hoping to get the breakdowns in the ESPA meeting in a few months.

So happy that New York is doing something. Too bad I am moving out of state. Hopefully there looking to add one morning west bound, and one late evening east bound to the Upstate. One set of equipment and upstate NY got frequent service that it needs. The current 4 trains a day fall just a bit short.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back