New York Penn Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stellar1

Train Attendant
I've got a question about NY Penn Station and making an Amtrak connection.

Up to now, I've always taken a NJ Transit train to Newark Penn Station or a SEPTA Train to 30th Street Station in Philadelphia to make a connection to an Amtrak train.

I've been contemplating trying NY Penn Station for an upcoming trip I'm planning next month instead of Newark (just because I've never been there and want to try something different).

I've never had trouble with late NJ Transit trains and tight connections at Newark.

How is the layout of New York Penn Station - is Amtrak close to the NJ Transit area? Would 20 minutes be enough

to arrive on a NJ Transit train and make an Amtrak Northeast Regional? Thanks.

I haven't been there recently, but I don't believe the layout is changed. Yes, NJT and Amtrak are in the same area. If memory serves me correctly, Tracks 1 to 4 are used exclusively by NJT ( I am a former NJT employee ) and Tracks 5 to 15 or 16, are used by both, and the higher numbered tracks up to 21 are used exclusively by the Long Island Railroad, or something close to what I have explained. If you have never been in new York Penn before, I would allow more time than 20 minutes.. Since you are taking a Regional, it should not be that big a deal if you miss your connection. If one was taking a less frequent train, such as the once a day Lakeshore to Chicago, I would certainly allow in excess of an hour.

I know Penn Station very well and if one knows the station well, 20 minutes is enough, even though I normally try to allow for at least double that just in case there are delays. However, for your first time 20 minutes could be pushing things. If you hit the correct stair/escalator and you're on time, no problem. If there is a delay on NJT or you hit the wrong stair/escalator, then all bets are off.

Penn Station is a maze of stairs/escalators, multiple levels (LIRR on the lower, Amtrak/NJT on the upper), and thousands of people all rushing someplace.

If you can afford to be late should you miss the Regional, go for it. If you can't afford to be late, I'd try to visit Penn on another trip.

How is the layout of New York Penn Station - is Amtrak close to the NJ Transit area? Would 20 minutes be enoughto arrive on a NJ Transit train and make an Amtrak Northeast Regional? Thanks.
If you can take an earlier NJT train, I would do so. Yes, if you know your way through NYP and either have your Amtrak ticket or the printed bar code for the Quik Track machines, 20 minutes is enough time to go from NJT to the Amtrak boarding line. I have made less than 5 minute connections from Amtrak to LIRR now that I know my way through the station (or well enough as it probably takes years to really learn all the nooks and crannies of NYP). NYP is rather confusing, but it is also worth spending a little time exploring or just observing the masses of people streaming through there if you are there at a busier time of day. If you have not been to NYC lately, you could always step outside the station for a few minutes and take in some views of NYC from street level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back