NEW YORK HOTELS

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caravanman

Engineer
Hi Folks,

I enjoy rail travel, and plan to arrive in New York for a few days, from UK, before setting off on my "next big trip"..I would like to find (cheaper) accomodation on the outskirts of New York, and travel in by train to sightsee.

I am looking at hotels in 1) parsippany-fairfield, local station given as mountain lakes 2) carteret-rahway, stn is rahway 3)stamford, station is given as metro north.

Can anyone guide me as to whether any of these options are potentialy unsafe areas, and as to which might have the quickest or most frequent train access to Manhatten area?

Thanks in advance,

Ed.

B)

We came into NYC this year by train. Now the stations you mentioned does not sound familiar to me. We did stay in Manhatten (nice walk to the popular sites) at a Travel Inn. There is a nice deli next door, a CVS across the street, police station across the street and walking distance to Times Square. I don't know if that helps at all. We felt safe all the time.

Thanks for that info. I stayed at Pennsylvania Hotel right opposite Penn Station last visit, which was great. However I am trying to economise on the next trip and find outlying hotels cheaper. I am happy traveling, so safety is not a big issue, but I know that some areas of large US cities are unwise for tourists to wander, so I was looking for advice there, plus the train connection advice.

Ed.

B)

caravanman said:
Thanks for that info. I stayed at Pennsylvania Hotel right opposite Penn Station last visit, which was great. However I am trying to economise on the next trip and find outlying hotels cheaper. I am happy traveling, so safety is not a big issue, but I know that some areas of large US cities are unwise for tourists to wander, so I was looking for advice there, plus the train connection advice.Ed.

B)

But check the various things like hotels.com and sometimes the Pennsylvania Hotel will be on that. First time Is stayed there I got a great price, just by checking one of the onl ne low-rate services.

Perhaps you have already done that, of course, but if not......

I stayed at a great place on the Upper West Side, called Hotel Newton. They're right on the 1-2-3-9 Line at 96th Street, which makes for easy access to just about anywhere in the city. They're also part of a network of hotels that's comperable. Check them out here.

caravanman:

The the stations and the cities you listed are a little ways outside of the Manahattan (anywhere from 30 to 1 hour outside of the city) and aat lease two of them are located in very expensive rail line bedroom communities .

The Norwalk, area about 10 mile North of Stamford is served by Metro North into Grand Central Terminal and has a Sheraton Four Points Hotel has has rates betow the $100.00 range. (Set among office parks on the northern edge of Norwalk, this four-story hotel is still within 5 miles of the historic attractions in the city center and the shore of Long Island Sound. The Sheraton has a sports bar/restaurant, a fitness center with a sauna and steam room, and two meeting rooms with high-speed Internet access.

The hotel offers complimentary shuttle service to local businesses and attractions within a 10-mile radius.)

Also Norwalk has a shopping and tourist area on the Long Island Sound which inludes boating, shopping, fine dinning, The Maritime Aquarium.and all safe. SONO

As for Parsippany/Fairfield/Mountain Lakes, New Jersey Transit's Montclair-Boonton Line doesn't offer weekend service, and is kind of limited to peak rush-hour times. Also, you would have to make a transfer. Consider staying near New Jersey's Morris-Essex line. The upside is weekend train service and a one-seat ride to NY Penn on Midtown Direct trains. There's a Best Western in Morristown approx. 10 mins. from the station. And If you don't mind staying a few miles west of Parsippany, and an approx. 75-80 min. ride to NY Penn, then consider the Hilton Garden Inn, approx. a 10-15 minute cab ride depending on traffic to Dover, NJ and a Fairfield Inn approx. a 10-15 minute cab ride depending on traffic to Denville, NJ. (I don't know much about your hotel budget allows for taxis). Both hotels earn Amtrak Guest Rewards points. I just don't have occasion to use the Morristown or Dover stations to comment on safety/lighting, but I would be careful at night. And I should point out that Parsippany is a big town geographically, so some hotels are near Denville and some may not be close to rail at all. I hope I covered everything.

Back