New Years Eve...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim G.

Service Attendant
My wife and I will be on the Capitol Limited from Washington to Chicago on New Years Eve. Could festivities of any kind develop. If anyone has experienced a similar event please share your story.

I was on the SWC one year, and some people were drinking in the lounge. They didn't get rowdy. It was just a nice, midnight toast and some cheering. Partying in coach and the sleepers is discouraged after 10:00, as it's officially "quiet hours" during that time.

Depends on the Crew but I've Traveled on Holidays when OBS Decorated the Cars, some Trains have "Special Menus" in the Diner and if you are in a Sleeper you can Carry your Own Alcohol Aboard to Consume in your Room! (But you Can Drink it in the Lounge if you're Discreet!) On my Just Completed Trip the Sunset Ltd. #2 had the Sightseer Lounge Decorated for Hallowen and the SCA passed out Candy for "Trick or Treat!" I have been on the Empire Builder and Coast Starlight on Holidays and Good SCAs passed out the leftover Champagne and Sparkling Cider to the Sleeping Car Passengers as well as after the Leftover Wine from the Wine and CheeseTasting in the DIner or Parlor Car! YMMV

A couple of years ago, we celebrated New Year's Eve on the Coast Starlight. Debby, the PPC attendant served drinks till 10 pm when she left to go to bed. She told us to make them last till midnight! A couple of passengers had bottles of champagne which were shared among the other passengers. At midnight, we had the traditional countdown, hugging and kissing, toasts, and the singing of Auld Lang Syne, although nobody knew all the words. It was very tame and low-key, but tons of fun. I took a video which I've posted here previously. At the end of the video, you can see a little girl starting to complain that, according to her watch it's not even midnight yet. I think all the adults just wanted it to be over so we could get some sleep!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back