New VA sponsored service starting up

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KayBee

Service Attendant
I have been looking for the first of the new trains to WAS for a while, and finally I have found one on July 20. The train number is 174 and it is scheduled to depart at 7:00am.

The associated return from WAS to RVR is train #125, and it departs from WAS at 3:55pm.

Naturally I am planning to be on the "inaugural" trips if at all possible :p

Way to go Virginia! I hope ridership will justify the investment, like the new "Lynchburger" service :D

Is there an announced start date yet for this train? Seems like there have been a few dates that have come and gone, but I cannot recall a recently announced official start date.

I looked on Amtrak.com at this "extension". One issue I see in this schedule now is, that Amtrak has 5 NE Regional trains coming from NPN, RVR, and LYH bound for BOS. 66, 86, 94, 174, and 176. That's 5 out of 9 NE Regional trains to Boston. 86, 174, 176, and 94 would be the four used by most riders. 86, 174, 176, and 94 are the four that run during the middle to late afternoon of the day. Let's say all four arrive at any or all of there destinations late. Let's say 86, 174, and 94 get stuck outside RVR due to a derailment. That would leave hundreds of riders booked on those three trains to ride on 176 or 178. Let's say all four get stuck outside of ALX due to a derailment. What would you do? You only have one train! 178. Let's say that he's sold out. What's your answer? You can't put them on Acela. Say they pay the low bucket fare from WAS to BOS. Low bucket fare on AE from WAS to BOS is almost double that. Amtrak wouldn't do that on their life. Amtrak had a good balance of 190, 170, 172, 174, and 178 based out of DC. Amtrak doesn't need three trains from RVR bound for BOS. It would be better to add another NYP train. Trains leave for NYP every hour. That would leave 174 open from WAS to BOS and the BOS trains still go through NYP. This is a curse and a blessing. Hopefully a blessing more then a curse. If Amtrak adds a mid day departure from WAS to BOS in case something like this happens they would be set but that won't happen.

I hate to be criticizing Amtrak but this is one where I feel I need to.

Steve

It's exciting to see more service to RVR, but I do agree that it may cause inconveniences down the line. Last week, I was on 86 traveling out of WAS and we left almost 30 minutes late due to something that had happened on CSX tracks... we did make up some time (were 20 minutes down at PHL), but the passengers in WAS were noticeably frustrated, since most of them probably expected the train to originate there.

At least the Virginia trains have Quiet Cars now...

Here is the official announcement:

RICHMOND - Beginning July 20, Amtrak Virginia expands daily round-trip service

between Richmond, Washington D.C. and points north along the Northeast Corridor with tickets

now available for purchase online at Amtrak.com or by calling 1-800-USA-RAIL.

With this new train, hourly morning departures are available from Richmond’s Staples

Mill Station to the Northeast Corridor and more convenient afternoon return trips are available

from Washington, DC. The total number of morning departures from Richmond to Washington

is now five, with six return departures available in the afternoon and evening. The new

frequency between Richmond and Washington is the second state-supported train in Virginia

which became Amtrak’s 15th state partner with the launch of service between Lynchburg and the

Northeast Corridor last October. The new train has Virginia stops at the Staples Mill, Ashland,

Fredericksburg, Quantico, Woodbridge and Alexandria stations. Passengers may travel directly

to destinations along Amtrak’s Northeast Corridor as far north as Boston and never have to

change trains.

“Now it’s more convenient than ever to take the train in the I-95 corridor,” said Thelma

Drake, director of the Virginia Department of Rail and Public Transportation. “With hourly

trains in the morning and several afternoon trains to choose from, you can easily plan your

business trip and get to work on the train instead of sitting in traffic.”

“We welcome the opportunity to add a new roundtrip on the busy corridor between

Richmond and Washington and to further expand our partnership with the Commonwealth of

Virginia,” said Jay McArthur, principal officer in Amtrak’s Policy & Development Department.

“This additional roundtrip makes travel by train from Richmond to Washington and points north

even more convenient.”

Passengers may book travel today on the new roundtrip which begins service on July 20,

and can save with discounts available on fares for kids, seniors, AAA members and members of

the military. Visit www.amtrak.com/deals for more information. Sample one-way fares include

$23 between Richmond’s Staples Mill Station and Washington, DC and $57 between Staples

Mill and Philadelphia.

The new roundtrip serves Richmond and Washington on the following schedule:

Code:
Northbound 	Train 174 	Train 164 	Southbound 	Train 125 	Train 87 	Train 157 
        Mon - Fri 	Sat - Sun 		        Mon - Fri 	Sat 	        Sun 
Dep Richmond 	7:00 a.m. 	6:35 a.m. 	Dep Washington 	3:55 p.m. 	7:00 p.m. 	4:00 p.m. 
Arr Washington 	9:30 a.m. 	9:00 a.m. 	Arr Richmond 	6:25 p.m. 	9:25 p.m. 	6:25 p.m.
The complete train schedule is available at www.amtrakvirginia.com.

Be sure to book travel on the new train to support Amtrak Virginia service. All Amtrak

Virginia service must meet annual ridership and revenue goals to continue through the pilot

program and become permanent. If these goals are met and if additional revenue becomes

available, the new Richmond train could be extended to Hampton Roads within three years.

The new service is sponsored by the Commonwealth of Virginia as part of a three-year

pilot program designed to provide more transportation options for Virginians. The pilot program

also includes new service between Lynchburg and the Northeast corridor that began in October

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back