New train traveler anxiety

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you all for the detailed instructions! Very easy to understand and I feel much more comfortable. And I'm so glad it doesn't sound like an airport, as some of them are so confusing, and the loudspeaker always sounds garbled. I hate flying. I'm printing this out to take with me for reference.
Train station loudspeakers often sound quite garbled, depending on the size of the station and the echo capabilities of its interior walls. Bill Cosby did a great comic routine on where such stations recruited their loudspeaker announcers.

Thank you all for the detailed instructions! Very easy to understand and I feel much more comfortable. And I'm so glad it doesn't sound like an airport, as some of them are so confusing, and the loudspeaker always sounds garbled. I hate flying. I'm printing this out to take with me for reference.
Since you're getting off in Chicago, I will warn you about the noise near the tracks.

The PA has this looped recording, probably for blind people, that tells you which track you're standing in front of. The problem is that the speakers overlap, so instead of hearing, "Track Number Ten... Track Number Ten... Track Number Ten..," you hear, "Track Number Track One Track Two Number Track Number Three Number Four."

It can be very strange and disconcerting if you aren't used to it. Just try to ignore it. I actually like it, because it's the first thing I hear when I get off in Chicago and it makes me feel like I'm home, but it annoys other people.

Once you're away from the tracks, you won't hear much over the PA. The PA in the lounge is only used to announce when a train is boarding, and it's clear and easy to understand. You won't hear anything in the main station. I can't remember the last time I heard an announcement over the general PA. I've only heard things in the waiting areas.

HI-- I'm the one who started this and my trip starts tomorrow! I've printed out the pictures and advice, so I feel as ready as I can be. I am wondering about weather conditions heading into Chicago and Charlottesville. Is snow ever a problem on the tracks, to the point where it slows or delays the train. Is it possible to get texts on my smart phone regarding delays, etc?

I looked on the status page and noticed that today's train from KC to CVS was 2 hr 21 min. late. I have 2 hr 30 min before I catch the train to CVS tomorrow. What do I do if I miss the one to CVS because we get in too late from Chicago?

The connection is guaranteed by Amtrak, so they'll take care of you by:

1. Holding the departing train for connecting passengers.

2. Use a bus to make the connection (most likely pull you off the train a stop early, and drive to meet the connecting train at one of its first stops).

3. Put you up in a hotel for the night and put you on the next day's train (not usually for 3x/week trains).

Thank you Ryan. I think Charlottesville is a 3x/week trip? But I won't be stranded in Chicago, if the train arrives late? If I check luggage, it will then stay on the original train and arrive later?

Thanks for your help.

Your train from Kansas City to Chicago is currently running on time in southeastern Colorado. Weather is fine in Chicago. Very unlikely that you will miss your connection. Charlottesville is wet with some rain, not snow. So you should do fine on the remainder of your journey to Virginia.

If I check luggage, it will then stay on the original train and arrive later?
I'm not going to guarantee this, but when they bustituted passengers from a late Sunset Limited in Palm Springs to catch a San Joaquin connection, they pulled the connecting passengers' luggage from the baggage car and loaded it onto the buses...even though Palm Springs is not a checked baggage stop.

Thanks Jim, appreciated as always

Guest_Guest, my I ask if you will report back with your experience, it's always interesting to read the follow up after questions posted here.
Hello--Well, I made my trip and it was very interesting and very easy! But there were a few complications. Since I used to be a mystery shopper, I'll write this similar to the reports I used to do.

I arrived at the KC station in plenty of time and found the ticket office easily. I showed them my eticket and he explained it would be scanned when I boarded. What I did not realize was that they only have about 15 minutes to check in your baggage, and I had planned to check one of the three bags I had,but didn't get too.

So it was a little difficult lugging three bags down to the coach section. I was able to put the heaviest one on the shelves right by the entrance so that worked out okay. Once we were seated and on the way, I was pleased with how comfortable the seats were and it was relatively quiet and clean. I got up and explored a little bit, had lunch, which was very good. We were a little late getting into Chicago, and when I got off the train I didn't see any red caps so had to carry the three bags into the station. The Metropolitan Lounge was not hard to find, and I checked my bags with the red cap there. The Lounge is great! When we were ready to board I asked for a redcap, and one loaded my bags and had me seated. He then told me it would be $5.00, which was a surprise to me. I repeated it back to him and he said "yes, $5.00". I was aware it was customary to tip, but had never heard there was a charge. While we were waiting I overheard an interesting comment. He and another red cap were discussing whether they would assist a customer or employee first. One guy said "employee" because they were family and you always took care of family first. I thought about the charge on my credit card helping to pay his salary, but remained quiet. But he got me down to the train and on board, and I gave him $5.00, plus a $3.00 tip.

The room was clean and comfortable. I had dinner in the dining car and the staff was very friendly. I slept fairly well, but woke up with motion sickness, feeling terrible. I went to the dining car and my waiter was very helpful, getting me a ginger ale and recommending the breakfast meal. Later on the attendant brought me a club soda and some crackers, which helped tremendously. I left tips for both the waiter and my attendant. I tipped him 20%. I gave $10 to the attendant, as that is what was recommended on this site.

My trip back was somewhat different. I knew to ask immediately about checking my bag so I didn't have to carry it around as well. The conductor came into the station and talked for 10 minutes about the rules on the train and what to expect. I boarded and went to my room, which was in pretty good shape. The bathroom door did not shut unless you lifted it and slammed it. I had dinner in the dining car, where I was seated with two other ladies. The waiter was competent but not friendly. I left him a tip around 15%. The next morning I woke up again with motion sickness even though I had gotten some "Sea Bands" and ginger candy. I saw my attendant and mentioned it to him. He told me to go the dining car and get some ginger ale or club soda. I went to the dining car and the waiter did not acknowledge my presence. I waited a few minutes, but felt so bad I went ahead and seated myself. I still waited about 5 more minutes before he finally asks, very sarcastically, if I wanted something. I asked for coffee as by this time I had a splitting headache. Another customer came in and he seated him, got his coffee and brought mine. He took our orders at the same time. I never did get to ask for ginger ale or soda, as he ignored me the rest of the time. Finally the attendant came in and saw that I didn't have it yet. He spoke to the waiter but was informed they did not have ginger ale. The attendant then got some club soda and brought it to me. (He was tipped when I left the train as well) When I left the dining car, I left .50 for the waiter; maybe he got the message although I doubt it. When we arrived in Chicago, I had a recap help me with the bags; he said nothing about a $5.00 charge and I gave him a $3.00 tip. When I boarded the train to KC I carried my bags. The rest of the journey was fine. I had dinner on the dining car, which was delicious and the waiter very courteous. She got a 20% tip.

So the trip was much easier than I thought it would be. I had a great time exploring Union station between trains, or just sitting in the lounge, which is very comfortable. I would say that I now prefer train travel over air travel any day. My tips were based on what I had read on this site. Still not sure how I should have handled the redcap who charged me $5.00.

Last edited:
The Redcap who charged you $5 was freelancing with that "fee." He basically made it up. There is no charge for Redcap service.

It might be worth a call to Customer Relations (800-USA-RAIL, bypass Julie, ask for Customer Relations) to report the incident - train/date/time. They might not be able to identify specifically who did it, but maybe an official notice posted in the CHI employee's area that redcaps are not to charge passengers would let them know that Amtrak is aware that someone is doing that and could stop it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will call that number. I did get his name, but did not think it appropriate to post it.

Thanks!

Yes, we always considered fellow employees to be "family", and tried to ensure a good trip with a little extra attention. HOWEVER, that does not mean employees were necessarily served first, and it CERTAINLY DOES NOT mean that paying passengers got inferior service. Looking after your own does not mean falling down on the job when it comes to other passengers. No excuse for some of the stuff you're describing.

There were some employees who boarded with an obnoxious sense of entitlement, and they sometimes forfeited their right to that extra attention.

Tom

The Redcap who charged you $5 was freelancing with that "fee." He basically made it up. There is no charge for Redcap service.
Thats one way to look at it. On the other hand if your train is boarding and you dont want to pay the fee what exactly are you going to do about it before your train leaves? I doubt Amtrak is going hold the train while a passenger disputes the redcap fee or allow a refund of the fee after the train departs. If this information is true then for practical purposes travelers can now expect to face a fee for using a redcap in Chicago.

It might be worth a call to Customer Relations (800-USA-RAIL, bypass Julie, ask for Customer Relations) to report the incident - train/date/time.
How do you bypass Julie? Is there a secret code or something? If there is such a code or trick I would love to know about it. Ever since Julie started running the show every single call I make to Amtrak goes a bit like this

Julie: Hi! Im Julie, blah blah blah...

Me: Agent.

Julie: I think you asked for an agent, is that correct?

Me: Yes.

Julie: Maybe theres something else I can help you with, blah blah blah...

Julie: Alright fine have it your way...

Last edited by a moderator:
The way to bypass Julie is to dial -0-!

Hi I'm Julie ...

(dial -0-)

Perhaps there's ...

(dial -0-)

Just a minute while I connect you to an agent.
That's what I usually do with a lot of calls. Keep pressing 0's until they send me to a live person (or at least try).

I thought it was just me. Julie always sounds annoyed, or maybe a bit hurt when I try to bypass her. Kind of glad to see others have that same problem with her. She's kind of thin-skinned!

I thought it was just me. Julie always sounds annoyed, or maybe a bit hurt when I try to bypass her. Kind of glad to see others have that same problem with her. She's kind of thin-skinned!
I think she has an electric presonality

Aloha

Julie: I'm sorry, caller, I'm afraid I can't do that.

Caller: What's the problem?

Julie: I think you know what the problem is just as well as I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back