New to Train travel

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

happytotravel

Train Attendant
Greetings!

I am new to train travel, my husband and I used to drive but we are getting tired of the work in driving, snow, rain, fog. So we have planned a trip on Amtrak from Minneapolis to florida.

one of my many questions is should we get a sleeper on the short ride from Minneapolis to Chicago. My worry is the train could be late and we will have been up early to get to the station. And may want to take a nap before we get in to chicago. Or am I worrying too much about the late trains. We did book a sleeper for the other 2 legs of the journey.

I have read a lot here, thanks for all the great advice.

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the forum!
hi.gif

I personally think getting a sleeper from MSP is a good idea. As you said, you can get some rest (if needed), but you will also get breakfast and lunch included for both of you!

I'm also going to move this thread to the main forum. This way, more people will see it and hopefully provide an answer!

Greetings!

I am new to train travel, my husband and I used to drive but we are getting tired of the work in driving, snow, rain, fog. So we have planned a trip on Amtrak from Minneapolis to florida.

one of my many questions is should we get a sleeper on the short ride from Minneapolis to Chicago. My worry is the train could be late and we will have been up early to get to the station. And may want to take a nap before we get in to chicago. Or am I worrying too much about the late trains. We did book a sleeper for the other 2 legs of the journey.

Thanks in advance!
Aloha

I am going to move this to the main forum as you may get a better chance for an answer.

:giggle: Traveler beat me to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's about an 8 hour trip, right? Did you book bedrooms or roomettes for the other two legs? For a day trip, a roomette would work well, especially if it is in a low bucket. No question--I would do that. You will love it! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
My vote would be sleeper as well. It adds more flexibility, especially for that nap suggestion, as well as the meals. Not to mention, you get the perks of privacy if you choose in addition to getting a change of exploring the amenities of your roomette before actually *having* to sleep in one overnight.

Another St Pauler, Welcome!

The roomette is a justifiable luxury in my opinion. It sounds like you will be travelling in winter so there should be no issue finding two seats together in coach, and obviously most make this journey in coach. If the price does not put you off I would say to opt for the roomette, it gives you a more organized boarding as well as breakfast and lunch for both of you on the train.

Do take a look a the coach seating once onboard for future plans, it rivals domestic first on airlines.

Greetings!

Thanks in advance!
I would go with a sleeper from Minneapolis to Chicago. For one thing, it's bound to be fairly inexpensive for such a short trip. Others have mentioned the privacy factor and the free meals--both are invaluable.

Finally, I'm assuming that you're taking the Empire Builder. With freight traffic (almost always the cause of a late train and not Amtrak's fault) along with unpredictable weather, there's a better than decent chance that it might be running late--the on-time average for that route right now is right around 60%. The surest way to wreck your train experience is by depending on one of the long-distance trains to be perfectly on-time--always give yourself a buffer of at least 4 hours and save yourself the potential stress if it does run late.

Enjoy--it sounds like a great trip!

Greetings!

I am new to train travel..........................
Welcome. I just returned from a round trip ABQ ~ SAN and enjoyed everything about train travel except the hours of sitting on my butt in coach.

(Next time I'm taking a gel cushion!) But, being on Social Security, I save money where I can.

If you can afford it, get a roomette, and have the ability to lie down.

Welcome!

I've always done coach when I go to Chicago (CHI), but then I get on at Winona (WIN) and miss out on the breakfast, and the trip is only 6 hours.

I always have been comfortable in coach since there is a lot of leg room, and the seat does recline back aways.

There can be delays with the train.. Plan on a day padding on your trip out and home. Othewise, enjoy your trip!!!

Welcome to the forum!

When I have traveled from Florida to MSP and from MSP back to Florida, I had a sleeper for the CHI to MSP segment and I am very happy I did. I was more comfortable, had meals and cleaner restrooms.

I hope you enjoy your trip to Florida. Right now we are having a cold front in Orlando (however, you would not think it is cold), but it is supposed to warm up by the weekend.

Wow, thanks for the quick responses! I really appreciate it. I think I will go for the sleeper, even if it is a short ride, it is nice to have some quiet time. Thanks and this board has been so helpful, I will be bring a clothes pin, duck tape, and some snacks!

Happy Travels!

Wow, thanks for the quick responses! I really appreciate it. I think I will go for the sleeper, even if it is a short ride, it is nice to have some quiet time. Thanks and this board has been so helpful, I will be bring a clothes pin, duck tape, and some snacks!

Happy Travels!
And small bills

Of course, I am in the service industry myself and I always tip. Thanks again all, I am so excited to go by train, what an adventure it will be!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back