New to this site; trying to read helpful information

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello to everyone here! I've already read so many informative threads in the forums and I look forward to learning more about long-distance train travel.

I do have a couple of questions but I'll ask those in the sub-forum(s) as appropriate. My husband and I are in Washington state (now on the eastern (dry Tri) side after moving from the west side (SnoCo). We've taken a few short commuter trips on the west side of the state and also in Italy but neither of us have ever experienced a sleeper car and it is on both of our bucket lists.

I'm the "planner" of our little family and I'm already thinking about August 2025 and a milestone birthday experience for my husband. We're leaning towards Via Rail on the Canadian since he is only familiar with the BC area and it has been decades since I've been to Ontario province which I loved visiting in my childhood. But we have not ruled out Amtrak as the cost does appear much lower. Our hopes are to travel in an eastern direction towards Massachusetts for a short stay at a friend's home on the coast and then fly back home to Washington.

Thank you all for sharing your experiences and knowledge so that we inexperienced folks can have solid information to help our planning.

Hello to everyone here! I've already read so many informative threads in the forums and I look forward to learning more about long-distance train travel.

I do have a couple of questions but I'll ask those in the sub-forum(s) as appropriate. My husband and I are in Washington state (now on the eastern (dry Tri) side after moving from the west side (SnoCo). We've taken a few short commuter trips on the west side of the state and also in Italy but neither of us have ever experienced a sleeper car and it is on both of our bucket lists.

I'm the "planner" of our little family and I'm already thinking about August 2025 and a milestone birthday experience for my husband. We're leaning towards Via Rail on the Canadian since he is only familiar with the BC area and it has been decades since I've been to Ontario province which I loved visiting in my childhood. But we have not ruled out Amtrak as the cost does appear much lower. Our hopes are to travel in an eastern direction towards Massachusetts for a short stay at a friend's home on the coast and then fly back home to Washington.

Thank you all for sharing your experiences and knowledge so that we inexperienced folks can have solid information to help our planning.
welcome to the Forum!

Wonderful ideas for trips, you just can't beat the Canadian ( Prestige Class is really Pricey but you can get deals on Regular Sleeping Car Rates depending when you go.)

I recommend going on to Montreal and then taking the Adirondack to New York and then Amtrak up to Massachusets, nice trips for sure!

welcome to the Forum!

Wonderful ideas for trips, you just can't beat the Canadian ( Prestige Class is really Pricey but you can get deals on Regular Sleeping Car Rates depending when you go.)

I recommend going on to Montreal and then taking the Adirondack to New York and then Amtrak up to Massachusets, nice trips for sure!
Adding Amtrak on to Mass is something that I've been considering. I'm also considering a train to Niagara (not sure which side) since my husband has never seen it before and taking an Amtrak from there if possible. Since it is too soon to see routes/dates/prices I'm at a standstill.

We are pretty sure that we want to go in the Prestige category. I'm just hoping the exchange rate stays favorable when we are able to book :)

I remember going on a tour "under"? the falls as a small child (very early 70s) and some other visits on mostly the US side - I had relatives in both Toronto and Buffalo and it was easier back then to go back and forth.

I remember the Canadian side as being more beautiful and powerful but I was a kid. That souvenir seeking side of me remembers my dad buying me a cheap souvenir on the US side (a double-handled back scratcher of all things) and thinking it was the best thing in the world.

Amtrak's Empire Builder is a great train, and a Bedroom in a Superliner is a very fine accommodation. If you were considering Prestige class, perhaps consider booking two Bedrooms (to join and form a suite) on Amtrak. This would be a preferable sleeping arrangement over a Prestige cabin for me and my wife, as we are used to a king bed and Prestige has a bed smaller than a queen.

Welcome! I'm on the dry side of Oregon, inconveniently located almost equidistant from the EB, CS, and CZ. It's worth the drive, though, and every couple years I head back to Boston to visit my family. I will be doing that again this Jan/Feb on the Empire Builder and Lake Shore Ltd, and I'll be posting a trip report. Feel free to ask any questions tat come to your mind, either before, or after, I take my trip. Others will chime in with their personal experiences. I have learned a lot from the expertise on this forum, and I am sure you will as well.

The falls on the Canadian side are the most spectacular
But the crossing on the train is extremely costly and slow, it's cheaper and easier to take a bus from downtown Buffalo, and then walk across the bridge which is a great view of the falls in itself. Even if you're going to or from Toronto to the States it might make sense to walk from one side to the other and stay there, not sure if that would make the nice border officers suspicious, it shouldn't but you never know.

Last edited:
Back