New to the forum, not to the rails

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all! I've recently retired to the mountains of Western Maryland, a couple blocks from the Oakland, Maryland B&O station (now a museum which displays my namesake locomotive). My handful of long-distance Amtrak trips have been wonderful, relaxing adventures and I'm hoping to use my free time to get in a few more, I'm planning a MSS-DEN trip in Feb. 2024 on the Cardinal and California Zephyr (thanks, Rewards Card bonus!), and have added the Coast Starlight and Sunset Limited to my bucket list.

Your trip sounds good, although I would suggest going beyond Denver on the CZ to see what is probably the most spectacular scenery on the Amtrak system, maybe extending to Grand Junction or Salt Lake City.
I’d have to concur. I took a trip two years ago to the area. We were staying at Silverthorne in Summit county. I booked to Glenwood Springs but due to a snow storm that was ongoing that day I ended up disembarking in Granby which is the closest stop to the summit county area. Still at least got the climb up from Denver and through the Moffat tunnel in snow. Didn’t have a choice as the storm closed I70 through Vail pass so I wouldn’t have been able to get back to Silverthorne from Glenwood.

Your trip sounds good, although I would suggest going beyond Denver on the CZ to see what is probably the most spectacular scenery on the Amtrak system, maybe extending to Grand Junction or Salt Lake City.
I'm going to Denver for a concert (Anna Clyne's magnificent cello concerto "Dance" with the Colorado Symphony). I agree that the ride up through the front range is magnificent! I've ridden the westbound route past Denver twice, once on the CZ to SLC, and on the Desert Wind to LAX, which I think split from the Zephyr at SLC.

I checked to see if I could ride to Fraser or Granby and return on the eastbound to Denver, but the schedule doesn't work for my plans even if the trains are on time. Another time, maybe!

Hi all! I've recently retired to the mountains of Western Maryland, a couple blocks from the Oakland, Maryland B&O station (now a museum which displays my namesake locomotive). My handful of long-distance Amtrak trips have been wonderful, relaxing adventures and I'm hoping to use my free time to get in a few more, I'm planning a MSS-DEN trip in Feb. 2024 on the Cardinal and California Zephyr (thanks, Rewards Card bonus!), and have added the Coast Starlight and Sunset Limited to my bucket list.
Welcome, B&O, and happy retirement! You led me to look up Oakland, MD, a beautiful area, and (though you've picked the Cardinal for your Big Trip) I see that you're also about 90 minutes' drive from either Connellsville or Cumberland and the Cap. So you're well-placed. Happy travels in 2024, and beyond.

Welcome, B&O, and happy retirement! You led me to look up Oakland, MD, a beautiful area, and (though you've picked the Cardinal for your Big Trip) I see that you're also about 90 minutes' drive from either Connellsville or Cumberland and the Cap. So you're well-placed. Happy travels in 2024, and beyond.
I'm only an hour from Cumberland, but haven't figured out parking there. Manassas' free parking and VRE service mean that can fly into DC and Metro/VRE to get my car. If I take a round trip from Cumberland I can park in Grantsville which is the terminus of the Bayrunner van shuttle to BWI that stops at the Cumberland train station.

Back