New to Amtrak travel

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I want to take my family from Savannah, GA to NYC to catch the Queen Marry2 in August and return in September the same way. I haven't ridden Amtrak in 30 years, last time was the old Cardinal from DC to Cincinnati.

My family consists of my wife, myself and our 2 year old. Can I get everyone into a roomette? And if so how do I book it since Amtrak.com won't permit a ticket to be written for 3 in a roomette. If not, what is the best alternativer besides an ultra expensive option like a room?

Thansks for your help.

The beds in a roometter aren't very wide. It would depend on the size of the two-year old as to whether the roomette would be OK. You could get around the reservation problem, I think, by listing your child as under 2 years old. I don't know if anyone would have a problem with it.

First, the roomette is really too small for three, even when one is just two years old. In my opinion, it is not really a great option for two adults, having just one open and shared toilet. There is togetherness, and then there is too much togetherness. While you might be able to squeeze everyone in, I’m not sure you would find the experience very positive

The full bedroom would be perfect for your family, but I glanced at the pricing in late August and it is ridiculous ($700+ extra each way). With only two full bedrooms per car, and Amtrak room pricing based on demand, it is likely that nearly all the full bedrooms are sold out for your days of travel, so the remaining room or rooms are priced really high.

Three options:

Book two roomettes. The cost on the days I checked is less than half the cost of the bedroom ($231 for both rooms each way). Call Amtrak and they should be able to book rooms across the corridor from each other.

Take the Palmetto and ride coach. The Palmetto is a day train between Savanna and New York. It is a LONG day train (early morning departure and late evening arrival, but it does eliminate the overnight segment and makes coach more palatable.

Fly. AirTran operates out of Savanna and will get you to New York in a couple of hours at a cost just a bit higher than Amtrak coach ($109 air each way verses $90 rail). If the final choice is between a 17 hour train ride in coach (with very little in the way of scenic pleasures enroute), squeezing three into a roomette (will make your QMII cabin seem huge), or a three hour, one connection ride on AirTran, my choice would be the plane.

While I have seen at least a dozen similar families take one roomette like you're thinking of doing, I'd have to say that PRR60's advice is sound. It can be real tight in that room.

The lower bunk is only 2'4" wide, so make sure that at least one of the adults can squeeze in with the two-year-old. You can see the rest of the room's dimensions here on Amtrak's website.

I was able to pick two adults and one child, and get a single roomette for the trip (on amtrak.com). Granted, I did not go through with the complete booking, but it let me get several steps into the process.

Despite all the naysayers that would like for you to either empty your bank account or fly, it is certainly possible to do the trip in a single roomette. Will it be a bit crowded? Yes. But it's still an economical way to make the trip if you don't want to be in coach for the night (we seem to have the same types of comments every time someone wants to do an overnight trip in coach; dozens of people do it on each train every night, and most have no problem with it). The important thing is to know what to expect ahead of time, and perhaps rotate by spending some time in the lounge car (if you can find an empty table).

was able to pick two adults and one child, and get a single roomette for the trip (on amtrak.com)
What happens at meal time? Will they let three people from one roomette eat. Granted the child may not eat a full dinner, or could share, but will take a seating spot.

Just curious.

Here's an alternative that might be considered. Book a roomette but when it's time to put the beds down, only put the upper bed down. You'd have two seats and one bed to use however you'd like. Just a thought to save money as well as maybe have some privacy.

Thanks for the suggestions but I suspect it might be trouble as when I try to book 2 adults and 1 child in a single roomette, I get from Amtrak.com:

"STOP! You will not be able to complete this purchase unless you select additional rooms or reduce the number of passengers."

So am not sure how I could get it ticketed as a single transaction. If I booked a coach fare and the wife and child, a roomette, would the attendant let me "visit" the roomette?

First thing that struck me was that a Transatlantic voyage is going to be taken on the Queen Mary to England, and someone is worried about paying for a deluxe bedroom on Amtrak?

Call Amtrak at 1-800-USA-RAIL (1800-872-7245) and an agent might be able to sell you a single room for the two adults and a small child.

jonlevy said:
Thanks for the suggestions but I suspect it might be trouble as when I try to book 2 adults and 1 child in a single roomette, I get from Amtrak.com:
"STOP! You will not be able to complete this purchase unless you select additional rooms or reduce the number of passengers."

So am not sure how I could get it ticketed as a single transaction. If I booked a coach fare and the wife and child, a roomette, would the attendant let me "visit" the roomette?
I think you might get around it if you call and you say it's a 2 Year old.

Back