New seats let airlines squeeze in more passengers

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you want to be sure you're not in 777 10-abreast but you're trying to accumulate AA miles, just take a BA flight for which you would get full credit on AA. Their 777s are still 9-abreast.

If you want to be sure you're not in 777 10-abreast but you're trying to accumulate AA miles, just take a BA flight for which you would get full credit on AA. Their 777s are still 9-abreast.
BA dosen't fly Trans-Pacific and CX is too expensive, they detour south to HKG, and they have those shell seats. I think I would be better off flying NH and get UA MileagePlus.

I really need some help with those NH shell seats, they seem better than the CX ones and their route is much more direct for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
CX is too expensive, they detour south to HKG, and they have those shell seats. I think I would be better off flying NH and get UA MileagePlus.
CX Y is reasonable while Y+ is overpriced IMO. Pitch in CX Y is terrible. HKG is a nicer airport than NRT. AA points are probably worth more than UA. No experience with NH.

CX is too expensive, they detour south to HKG, and they have those shell seats. I think I would be better off flying NH and get UA MileagePlus.
CX Y is reasonable while Y+ is overpriced IMO. Pitch in CX Y is terrible. HKG is a nicer airport than NRT. AA points are probably worth more than UA. No experience with NH.
Reasonable with terrible pitch? I do like CX, but flying them takes 4-5 hours longer to get to PEK compared to NH and much longer than UA's direct flight on a 747. The only airlines flying SFO-PEK nonstop are UA and CA, which both fly 747s that have no PTVs. I love the 747, but no PTV?!

I could fly JL if they would lower their fares a bit.

I like to visit China, the airfare's expensive but once you get there everything is so cheap, especially train tickets! Unlike Germany or Japan.....

On Jammed Jets, Sardines Turn on One Another

With air travelers increasingly feeling like packed sardines, flying has become a contact sport, nowhere more than over the reclined seat.

Now, it is only getting worse, as airlines re-examine every millimeter of the cabin.

Over the last two decades, the space between seats — hardly roomy before — has fallen about 10 percent, from 34 inches to somewhere between 30 and 32 inches. Today, some airlines are pushing it even further, leaving only a knee-crunching 28 inches.

On Jammed Jets, Sardines Turn on One Another

With air travelers increasingly feeling like packed sardines, flying has become a contact sport, nowhere more than over the reclined seat.

Now, it is only getting worse, as airlines re-examine every millimeter of the cabin.

Over the last two decades, the space between seats — hardly roomy before — has fallen about 10 percent, from 34 inches to somewhere between 30 and 32 inches. Today, some airlines are pushing it even further, leaving only a knee-crunching 28 inches.
28 inches would truly be horrors. United used to have very comfortable DC-8's with 38" of pitch in Y. Remembering the good old times of flying.....

My all time favorite was the United DC-8-61 or -63.....The largest airliner until the 747 came out. Sitting inside, or viewing from outside, especially if watching one taxi over the tunnels on I-70 enroute to take off from Denver's old Stapleton Airport, they looked like a train crossing over. They had a long fuselage with a relatively small tail....

Reasonable with terrible pitch?
Reasonably priced but with the caveat that the pitch kills it unless you're a tiny Asian person or you're seated in a bulkhead or exit row.

I do like CX, but flying them takes 4-5 hours longer to get to PEK compared to NH and much longer than UA's direct flight on a 747. The only airlines flying SFO-PEK nonstop are UA and CA, which both fly 747s that have no PTVs. I love the 747, but no PTV?! I could fly JL if they would lower their fares a bit.
I never watched anything besides the air show on the CX PTVs, even on the huge screens in F, so I guess I can live without PTV's at this point. Load up your phone, tablet, and laptop with content that is perfectly selected just for you (by you) and you'll have a better entertainment setup than anything CX or SQ can ever provide and it won't be edited for content like on the PTV.

I like to visit China, the airfare's expensive but once you get there everything is so cheap, especially train tickets! Unlike Germany or Japan.....
I had a flight to Shanghai planned to help me earn EXP but I blew it off and cancelled. I just didn't have it in me to visit Asia twice in two months. Plus that smog is insane. If and when they ever clean that up I might visit. Until then no thanks. Seriously.

My all time favorite was the United DC-8-61 or -63.....The largest airliner until the 747 came out. Sitting inside, or viewing from outside, especially if watching one taxi over the tunnels on I-70 enroute to take off from Denver's old Stapleton Airport, they looked like a train crossing over. They had a long fuselage with a relatively small tail....
If you like the look of a long fuselage you should try an A340-600. I know the 748i is actually longer but in my view the 346 is much more visually striking than any 747. I have difficulty understanding the love people express for DC-8's or 707's or planes of a similar vintage. In my experience DC-8 seemed to be little more than an early model MD-80 and didn't seem that special to me. For that matter a 707 shares a lot of traits with 737's, which nobody I know considers to be any sort of favorite.

In my travels ninety-nine out of a hundred DC-8/MD-80 flights were boring as could be. Once upon a time I was flying on a NW DC-8 when the pilots took us on the steepest climb I've ever experienced. The cabin was nearly empty and the freight below must have been extremely light as pilot in charge appeared to be channeling an old Air Force maneuver. It was quite a ride, but it was only one out of a hundred DC-8/MD-80 flights that was memorable in any way.

Yeah, China is frigging bad on smog. I'm not Chinese but one of the other Swadians (my friend) is Chinese. Maybe I'll just cancel the trip and go somewhere else. Not sure yet.

I really do need a PTV because I can't sleep on jet lag and I don't have a smartphone or tablet. Regular cell phones can't be loaded with things like that. My laptop has a broken battery so it needs an outlet at all times to operate.

If you like the look of a long fuselage you should try an A340-600. I know the 748i is actually longer but in my view the 346 is much more visually striking than any 747. I have difficulty understanding the love people express for DC-8's or 707's or planes of a similar vintage. In my experience DC-8 seemed to be little more than an early model MD-80 and didn't seem that special to me. For that matter a 707 shares a lot of traits with 737's, which nobody I know considers to be any sort of favorite.
I do like the look of the A340-600....about as close to a 'Super DC-8-63' as you can find. The 748 is long, but its distinctive profile does not resemble a train at all....

The predecessor of the MD-80 was the DC-9 in various series, completely different than a DC-8. The DC-9 had two fuselage mounted engines, a fuselage only wide enough for 5 across seating, etc. The Boeing 707 is more like its 'baby brother' 737, at least in cabin width, and wing mounted engines....

The predecessor of the MD-80 was the DC-9 in various series, completely different than a DC-8. The DC-9 had two fuselage mounted engines, a fuselage only wide enough for 5 across seating, etc. The Boeing 707 is more like its 'baby brother' 737, at least in cabin width, and wing mounted engines....
You're absolutely right. I should go back to flight school. :lol:

Ha ha....I dropped out of flight school many years ago....it was much too expensive for me at the time....perhaps when I retire, I'll pursue it again.... :)

Ha ha....I dropped out of flight school many years ago....it was much too expensive for me at the time....perhaps when I retire, I'll pursue it again.... :)
You do have a CDL, right? Do you have a Train Operator's License or something like that?
I do have a CDL Class 'A', with N, T, and P endorsements...

No, I do not have a 'train operators' license, and no, I do not have a master mariner's' license, nor an 'ATP' pilot's license..(.but that's okay, because I play as one on TV) :lol: ....

You do have a CDL, right? Do you have a Train Operator's License or something like that?

No, I do not have a 'train operators' license, and no, I do not have a master mariner's' license, nor an 'ATP' pilot's license..(.but that's okay, because I play as one on TV) :lol: ....
Woah, you must be a good driver! So isn't Class A the highest class of CDL? That T endorsement must be very difficult. I see you must've been a truck driver before.

Woah, you must be a good driver! So isn't Class A the highest class of CDL? That T endorsement must be very difficult. I see you must've been a truck driver before.
Truck driving was so far back, it seems like another lifetime, now......but once you earn the rating, you don't want to let it go.....

Truck driving was so far back, it seems like another lifetime, now......but once you earn the rating, you don't want to let it go.....
I hear you there! California CDL class B/M1 with X, FF, AMB, tank and air-brakes. I like that my "trucks" come with red lights and sirens. :D

I hear you there! California CDL class B/M1 with X, FF, AMB, tank and air-brakes. I like that my "trucks" come with red lights and sirens. :D
And a neat water-gun?? ;) :lol:

Back