New Routes/New Trains/New Schedules

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Dylan

50+ Year Amtrak Rider
AU Supporting Member
As usual on my just completed AGR loop of central/western USA the OBS had lots of gossip about proposed upcoming schedule/route/new train changes-additions!

According to the OBS on the TE there will be a crew base in FTW,the diner crew that now gets off to layover in AUS will work FTW-LAX,the FTW-CHI run will be crew based in CHI and no crew on this train will be LAX based! They say they hear the City crews will work the NOL-SAS-NOL stub train

once the Eagle goes daily with a crew base in NOL instead of CHI! They arent sure if the CHI-NOL-CHI City crew will be based in CHI or NOL?

This is supposed to happen in April with the new schedule change, meanwhile the negotiations to extend the Flyer from OKC-KCY is going on with the states involved being asked to kick in the extra$$ it would take!

The staff on the EB seem to think that the PDX-SPK section will get a CCC which will then be used for coach pax on the combined train from SPK-CHI

with the ssl and diner being reserved for first class pax from SEA-SPK-CHI! Supposedly there are lots of extra CCCs so this seems plausible!

As mentioned before AUS is now a 7 day operation with checked baggage and as more staff are hired other stations on the Eagle/Sunset route (whatever it ends up being called?) will become staffed/have checked baggage!

Supposedly Amtrak is adding staff now, if you need/want a job on trains now is the time to apply!

Last edited by a moderator:
As usual on my just completed AGR loop of central/western USA the OBS had lots of gossip about proposed upcoming schedule/route/new train changes-additions!
According to the OBS on the TE there will be a crew base in FTW,the diner crew that now gets off to layover in AUS will work FTW-LAX,the FTW-CHI run will be crew based in CHI and no crew on this train will be LAX based! They say they hear the City crews will work the NOL-SAS-NOL stub train

once the Eagle goes daily with a crew base in NOL instead of CHI! They arent sure if the CHI-NOL-CHI City crew will be based in CHI or NOL?

This is supposed to happen in April with the new schedule change, meanwhile the negotiations to extend the Flyer from OKC-KCY is going on with the states involved being asked to kick in the extra$$ it would take!

The staff on the EB seem to think that the PDX-SPK section will get a CCC which will then be used for coach pax on the combined train from SPK-CHI

with the ssl and diner being reserved for first class pax from SEA-SPK-CHI! Supposedly there are lots of extra CCCs so this seems plausible!

As mentioned before AUS is now a 7 day operation with checked baggage and as more staff are hired other stations on the Eagle/Sunset route (whatever it ends up being called?) will become staffed/have checked baggage!

Supposedly Amtrak is adding staff now, if you need/want a job on trains now is the time to apply!
Very interesting if accurate

Would it make sense to extent the Flyer all the way to CHI, either via the Southwest Chief route or via St Louis?

Would it make sense to extent the Flyer all the way to CHI, either via the Southwest Chief route or via St Louis?
I'd think it would be much better to extend it north to St. Paul.

With the shortage of equipment I dont think this is practical, there are River Runners from KCY-STL and the Lincoln trains from/to STL-CHI. The connection with the Chief is early in the AM for CHI and 10:55PM for the LAX connection so thats not too bad, beats the heck out of the overnight bus ride

from OKC-KC Y and also one could use the Chief to get to connections in FTW and points south on the Eagle from KCY instead of having to go to STL or CHI to connect. :)

The staff on the EB seem to think that the PDX-SPK section will get a CCC which will then be used for coach pax on the combined train from SPK-CHIwith the ssl and diner being reserved for first class pax from SEA-SPK-CHI! Supposedly there are lots of extra CCCs so this seems plausible!
Basically this was already a given, it was announced back when Amtrak announced the repair of all the Superliner wrecks thanks to the Stimulus.

The only thing new is the idea that the CCC would only serve coach pax CHI-SPK. Frankly it would make more sense to give the passengers in the Portland sleeper the option of using either the regular diner or the CCC, this would cut down on the very long walk that PDX sleeper pax have to endure.

Yeah I heard some of these rumors too from a higher up Amtrak employee. Pretty much she said IF (and thats a big IF!) the new Eagle/Sunset that that is what would happen with staffing. Pretty much the plan is being presented to the board (again?) in December. Not sure about additional staffed stations. Marshall, TX just went 7 days a week but has no checked bags.

This is great news Jim.

The staff on the EB seem to think that the PDX-SPK section will get a CCC which will then be used for coach pax on the combined train from SPK-CHIwith the ssl and diner being reserved for first class pax from SEA-SPK-CHI! Supposedly there are lots of extra CCCs so this seems plausible!
Basically this was already a given, it was announced back when Amtrak announced the repair of all the Superliner wrecks thanks to the Stimulus.

The only thing new is the idea that the CCC would only serve coach pax CHI-SPK. Frankly it would make more sense to give the passengers in the Portland sleeper the option of using either the regular diner or the CCC, this would cut down on the very long walk that PDX sleeper pax have to endure.
Isn't it also new that the diner and SSL would be reserved for sleeping car passengers? I find that hard to believe about the SSL; and I'm somewhat dismayed to hear the diner may become "first class only". What happened to the idea of using the CCC as diner overflow seating between SPK-CHI, which I had thought was the plan?

I'd think it would be much better to extend it north to St. Paul.
A few thoughts:

I am not sure how much traffic would be going north out to MSP. If you to why not to OMA?

Is there time saving that could be made if the train is schedule CHI-SAS-LA and no switching needed in SAS?

If the train is extend would sleeper(s) need to be added? Not sure where they could fins a few.

If they started the train in CHI why not try to leave in the morning out of Chicago (run Via Galesburg, maybe Quincy) to KC. This would give that line a early train and a morning train out of CHI to KC and FTW. The train could be combine with the Carl Sandburg. Not sure there enough cars out there to make the work.

Excellent ideas guys, I have my own suggestions but am just the reporter here based on crew scuttlebut! I always figure that where thereis smoke theres fire so something will happen in the spring???

Excellent ideas guys, I have my own suggestions but am just the reporter here based on crew scuttlebut! I always figure that where thereis smoke theres fire so something will happen in the spring???
I wouldn't assume such. The crew don't generally know much about what's going on upstairs.

Well, Amtrak management has been saying that the new daily TE OBS crews will be ENTIRELY L.A.-based - because L.A. CSI (Customer Service Index) scores are respectable, and CHI scores are a disgrace. If they get this done soon, they don't want passengers to be beaten up the way Eastern crews tend to do to them. And yes, several hours will be shaved off the total travel time CHI-LAX and vice versa - however, this will be done by returning to a schedule much like the old SL one, departing LAX at around 10:30 at night (!!!), and arriving into LAX at something like 7 in the morning, if not earlier. This would heavily impact stations between SAS and LAX, but for some, it's preferable to the current ungodly hours.

I usually end my posts with "I'll beleive it when I see it", but in this case I'm gonna start off with it.

"I'll beleive it when I see it"

Wasn't there near endless threads discussing new service/additional service/modified service with a certain train that's not been going east of NOL just a few months ago?

Look here, someone even had a "schedule" (particularly posts #3 & #4...where did this so called information come from???) Someone please answer.

http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/index.php?...+nol+stub+train

Of course, different routings, different trains, cities servied...etc, but people are posting here on mere rumors with no printed facts to back it up.

I usually end my posts with "I'll beleive it when I see it", but in this case I'm gonna start off with it.

Wasn't there near endless threads discussing new service/additional service/modified service with a certain train that's not been going east of NOL just a few months ago?

Look here, someone even had a "schedule" (particularly posts #3 & #4...where did this so called information come from???) Someone please answer.

Of course, different routings, different trains, cities servied...etc, but people are posting here on mere rumors with no printed facts to back it up.
You absolutely right. It is mere rumor so far. However, that is totally acceptable in my book since it WAS reported as rumor and not a fact. So you are not going to get any facts other than what has been posted.

As long as it's reported as rumor, there's nothing wrong with chewing it over. Unfortunately, some people seem to think if they see it on the AU forums, it's going to actual happen, probably next week. Unless we have somebody on this board who's actually in Amtrak upper management, we should wait until any official action takes place before fully believing anything. I also agree that the crews out in the field seldom have any concrete knowledge of what's going to happen until jobs and schedules are posted. At my old job, rumors flew constantly about stuff that was going to happen, and hardly any of it actually did.

Unfortunately, some people seem to think if they see it on the AU forums, it's going to actual happen, probably next week.
If that is the case, people need to be self responsible and read the words "gossip" and "rumor".

Beyond that, we have no responsibility to people who you refer to.

As you also said, we have every right to discuss them.

recently rode pdx-spk on the eb with a ccc instead of a ssl. my complaint was that the ccc car was closed from 10:30 pm until 6:30 am. i often wake up early and go to the ssl to read as the upper level is available 24/7. evidently not the case with the ccc.

The daily Texas Eagle plan is not just a rumor. It's an actual proposal by actual management employees at Amtrak. Its not a rumor that some of us heard from our friend the LSA who is good friends with a manager who said they heard Amtrak was going to try this. I've personally spoken with a manager of Amtrak that was instrumental in making the Texas Eagle proposal. The idea has been presented to upper managers and apparently they bring it to the board in December. So we're not just talking about rumors. I'm certainly not saying this will actually happen, and not saying I agree 100% with the proposal, but I do know that these discussions are going on behind closed doors. Even if the planned changes do take place, we're talking Amtrak politics here. There's still UP talks to happen, getting crews in the right place and so on. I'd be surprised if it happened as early as this April.

recently rode pdx-spk on the eb with a ccc instead of a ssl. my complaint was that the ccc car was closed from 10:30 pm until 6:30 am. i often wake up early and go to the ssl to read as the upper level is available 24/7. evidently not the case with the ccc.
Im surprised by this, on the trains that have CCCs (CONO/TE)on a regular basis (sometimes 2 on the Eagle!), they lock up the counter and door to downstairs but its still available to pax to use the tables, also lots of the crew hangout there on a regular basis. On my just completed trip from PDX-SPK

the cafeteria downstairs was closed until we left Vancouver,WA, was only open until 10:30 pm. Our sleeper was bad ordered and the train was full so I was surprised it was open such a short time, however we were still allowed to hang out upstairs and the lounge lizards spent the night there as usual!

Must have been a bummer for the pax riding from SPK-CHI that counted on the ssl for Glacier!CCCs suck as a lounge IMHO!!! Contact Customer Relations via telephone (not e-mail!) and get a voucher, you deserve one!! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I too am surprised by that! :blink: How do people from the PDX section (both sleeper and coach) supposed to get to the other portion of the EB (including the diner) if the CCC is closed until 6:30 AM and the diner is open? :huh:

I too am surprised by that! :blink: How do people from the PDX section (both sleeper and coach) supposed to get to the other portion of the EB (including the diner) if the CCC is closed until 6:30 AM and the diner is open? :huh:

I don't think closed means locked. Although I could be wrong. It's probably illegal to actually lock it down.

I don't think closed means locked. Although I could be wrong. It's probably illegal to actually lock it down.
I could be wrong, but yarrow stated

my complaint was that the ccc car was closed from 10:30 pm until 6:30 am. i often wake up early and go to the ssl to read as the upper level is available 24/7. evidently not the case with the ccc.
Why else could you not go to a certain car.

And I have been on a train with a locked door. I was on the Cardinal that had run out of food. They locked the door between the diner-lite and coach. I was in a sleeper, and had to use the rest room in coach. The Conductor unlocked the door for me - and after I returned, he re-locked the door!

I could be wrong, but yarrow stated

my complaint was that the ccc car was closed from 10:30 pm until 6:30 am. i often wake up early and go to the ssl to read as the upper level is available 24/7. evidently not the case with the ccc.
Why else could you not go to a certain car.

And I have been on a train with a locked door. I was on the Cardinal that had run out of food. They locked the door between the diner-lite and coach. I was in a sleeper, and had to use the rest room in coach. The Conductor unlocked the door for me - and after I returned, he re-locked the door!
I too have experienced locked doors -- diners between meals on long-distance trains as well as diner lites on the Cardinal and Lake Shore, which prevents passengers from using the cars as lounges. And most recently, the door to Beech Grove was locked -- I was hoping to go hang out with Joe for a while, maybe convince him to join me in the cafe for a cuppa coffee :lol: It actually has a doorbell in the vestibule.

Even if the planned changes do take place, we're talking Amtrak politics here. There's still UP talks to happen, getting crews in the right place and so on. I'd be surprised if it happened as early as this April.
Another reason it couldn't possibly happen by April: we know it takes "three years" to train crews for certain other route changes according to Amtrak :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back