New rider

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Partyman

Train Attendant
Hello all, first time rider here. I am going to Biloxi, Ms over presidents day weekend to see my girlfriend. She is going to tech school at Keeler AFB. I am taking my daughter and her daughter along. One is 21 and the other is 15. We are taking the city of new orleans. We are getting on in Champaign, IL, getting off in New Orleans and and she will pick us up there. Trying to save a few bucks so we are going to sit in reserved coach. I have been cruising the forums for a few days now and I have a pretty good list of things to take with us. But I was wondering if anybody had any special tips or things to make the trip special for the girls. I apologize to the mods if I have put this in the wrong spot. Thanks Glen

Have the girls bring their iPods or dvd players - (I usually bring books) - bring some food, for variety (and saving $) over diner/cafe car - earplugs are good at night - pillows, comfy shoes - you probably know all this - enjoy the journey and the scenery - I loved the trip thru Mempis at daylight, and then the countryside from there to New Orleans -

Best to you

I read on here to bring a scanner. I have one I take to nascar races. What can I expect to hear>

I read on here to bring a scanner. I have one I take to nascar races. What can I expect to hear>
With Nascar Frequencies.... Nothing.... :eek: We only suggest this if you are a "die hard" railbuff. If your just an average joe, then don't bring one, you'll get confused with all the talking that's going on. :help: Here is a list of scanner frequencies that you will need programed into your scanner. Suggestion, have it on scan.

Thanks for the reply Acela. While I may be a railroad newby, I am not a nascar newby. I sort of figured there wouldn't be any nascar races on the train, my scanner does pick up other things. After looking at the link you gave me, I see I can monitor the communications at the bigger stations. That way if there is a problem or a delay, I can at least have an idea what is going on. One more thing though, it is possible to get pictures from the train? Also, we are going to ride coach on the way down, but I think I am going to book a sleeper for the way back. The 15 year old has school the next day and she will need to be fresh.

Not only at the bigger stations, but you can listen to the engineer and the conductor talk back and forth and to the dispatcher along the way. Interesting stuff, and if there are delays you'll know exactly what's up.

I would disagree with the notion that scanners are only for the die-hard rail buff. It isn't that complicated, and is a valuable source of firsthand information about what's going on around you.

Thanks Ryan, I guess I didn't realize the radio communications on the train itself.

Thanks Ryan, I guess I didn't realize the radio communications on the train itself.
Yes, that's how the conductors stay in touch with the engineer and the engineer in turn stays in touch with other nearby trains, stations, as well as the dispatcher. You'll also hear equipment, defect detectors, alongside the tracks that detects potential problems with the trains.

Now, one question regarding this part of your post:

One is 21 and the other is 15.
Your 21 year old daughter has a 15 year old child. She was 6 when she had a baby? :eek:

Something seems amiss there!

Last edited by a moderator:
Whoops, did that wrong Alan, My daughter is 21, my girlfriends daughter is 15. My baby has no kids. Good catch.

I almost never hear anything on my scanner besides the defect detectors. They sound like automated phone systems reading off numbers for axles and speed. Unless you enjoy hearing reports on how much your grass grew in the last twenty minutes they get boring before long. Occasionally you'll hear a dispatcher or engineer talk but if you wait until the train starts slowing or stopping to turn your scanner on you'll probably have already missed whatever half-snippet of a short and jargony explanation was given. Not the sort of thing a novice would readily understand or be entertained by. You'll also need to plan ahead and program your scanner with every different frequency your train will travel through and keep a listing of when to change frequencies. Otherwise you'll never hear much of anything as your scanner tries in vain to scan huge bands of unrelated frequencies that have nothing to do with rail. There's no way to get into details of how this is done as it varies by manufacturer and model. Unless you're really into trains I'd suggest you blow off the scanner this early in the process. Having already bought and used one I can easily think of a hundred better ways to waste a hundred dollars.

I would say if you already have a scanner and know how to use it- by all means bring it. If you have it set to the right channels you will hear all kinds of interesting things! You will hear the conductor talking to the engineer, where you are, reasons for delays, and juicier tidbits as well. After a short time you will pick up on what all of the differnt sayings and codes mean. Once on the Missouri River runner we were stopped at a station for awhile and I was beginning to wonder why. Then I saw the cops pull up and heard the conductor on the scanner explaining that there was a stowaway on the train! Some teenage girl was running away from home and took the train. The cops had to come on and search the train until they found her. I would have never have know what all the hulabaloo was about had I not been listening to the scanner. It is really easy to program your scanner to just scan the dozen or so frequencies that your train will use on a particular route.

I would say if you already have a scanner and know how to use it- by all means bring it. If you have it set to the right channels you will hear all kinds of interesting things! You will hear the conductor talking to the engineer, where you are, reasons for delays, and juicier tidbits as well. After a short time you will pick up on what all of the differnt sayings and codes mean. Once on the Missouri River runner we were stopped at a station for awhile and I was beginning to wonder why. Then I saw the cops pull up and heard the conductor on the scanner explaining that there was a stowaway on the train! Some teenage girl was running away from home and took the train. The cops had to come on and search the train until they found her. I would have never have know what all the hulabaloo was about had I not been listening to the scanner. It is really easy to program your scanner to just scan the dozen or so frequencies that your train will use on a particular route.
As someone who has been taking a scanner on trips for about 10 years, one other piece of advice would be to stay on the "road channel" for the particular section you are on, and not leave it scanning. That way when something happens, you hear the transmissions right from the beginning.

Also, use earplugs or headphones. The static, tones and decidedly low-fi can be pretty annoying to others.

Finally, sometimes it makes the sleeping car attendent your friend. I've had more than one say to me, when they see a scanner in my room, "Okay, now I know who to ask about what is going on..."

I love the thing. Sure, there isn't much going a lot of the time, when something does happen, it is both informative and entertaining. On the Starlight once, had a disruptive passenger taken off at an intersection in Richmond, CA into the arms of the Richmond PD. Left a suitcase behind, the conductor found it and it was fully of, shall we say herbs. Then stuck in Martinez while the various police departments argued about who should take custody of it, while the UP dispatcher is sounding increasingly irritated. Or when a CZ trip I was on had a deadheading diner that tripped a dragging equipment detector.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everybody, I will definitely find the scanner freqs and program them in ahead of time. I bought a scanner about 10 years ago to take to the NASCAR races. So programming is not an issue. Nothing more frustrating than being at a race and fumbling with the scanner and missing half the race. Needless to say, as long as I have the freqs already in, I can run my scanner blindfolded.

Please forgive me for jumping around, but how about pictures? I just bought a nice digital camera with birthday money and I am hoping to get some good shots.

Thanks everybody, I will definitely find the scanner freqs and program them in ahead of time. I bought a scanner about 10 years ago to take to the NASCAR races. So programming is not an issue. Nothing more frustrating than being at a race and fumbling with the scanner and missing half the race. Needless to say, as long as I have the freqs already in, I can run my scanner blindfolded.

Please forgive me for jumping around, but how about pictures? I just bought a nice digital camera with birthday money and I am hoping to get some good shots.
Easy source for frequencies on all Amtrak routes:

http://www.on-track-on-line.com/amtrak-freqs.shtml

I would say cameras bring a lot more to the table than scanners. I always try to get a few photos of the engines, the stations, the people, skylines, any unusual weather, sleepy little towns, oddball rock formations, trailing varnish, you name it. It's fun to see what sort of angles you can think up and what you can catch from the windows and so on. Having a camera with you can give even the most ho-hum trip a new perspective if you use it right. And it gives you a quick and easy ticket for remembering the trip in the future. Unfortunately cameras can also attract all sorts of bad attention by security staff and moonlighting officers with nothing better to do than harass railfans. On my local trains and at my local station I'm rarely bothered by anyone but the downside is that there isn't much here in the way of operational scenes to photograph and all of our local trains arrive and depart at night or in the early morning. In places like Chicago there are more interesting daytime photo-ops than you can shake a stick at, but that's precisely where they're on the lookout for you. Apparently there was an unwritten law called "after nine-eleven" that was passed in secret and allows anyone with a badge and an ego to treat photographers however they want for any reason or no reason at at all. Still, I think it's invaluable to have a camera and if anyone wants to get in your face about it just keep your cool until they get tired of wasting your time and move on to the next unlucky citizen.

A lot of what you just said Dax, is the very reason I am doing this trip on the train. Don't get me wrong, I am without a doubt, looking forward to the train experience, But every time I fly I end up feeling like a criminal. I don't know that I have a better suggestion to what is going on at the airlines, but I sure have a better plan for me. Don't fly. I keep telling myself that 23 years in the Air guard and 6 months in Kuwait should get me a little latitude. But than I remember the Fort Hood thing. So what to do? Ride the train .

I would say bring the scanner and the camera. And consider getting at least a roomette. The City of New Orleans (CONO) usually has very low rates on rooms. And a room on the CONO (or any other train) includes meals (in the Dining Car) for those reserved in the room!
smile.gif
And the accommodation charge is per ROOM, not per person! (So a $94 roomette would be $47 per person - including meals and a flat bed!
biggrin.gif
)

As usual, I am trying to save a buck, But hard to put a price on a good nights sleep. I am thinking about calling and adding a bedroom to the return. The 15 year old has school when we get back and the 21 year old has to work. And they both need about 10 hours sleep to function. I seem to only need about 4 or 5 hours a night and besides I will be off that day. :rolleyes:

A lot of what you just said Dax, is the very reason I am doing this trip on the train. Don't get me wrong, I am without a doubt, looking forward to the train experience, But every time I fly I end up feeling like a criminal.
There are some areas and situations where presumption of guilt and related privacy invasions can occur at train stations and on the rails, but it's not even close to the near-universal disgrace that airline travel has become these days. I have more to say about that but it can wait for another thread.

If you're trying to save a buck, consider getting a roomette instead of a bedroom! A roomette is less, and gives you the same benefits (such as meals) as the bedroom!
Two adults and a teenager might be a tight fit in a roomette, assuming you could even get Amtrak to book it that way. I guess one person could sleep on the top bunk while two people sat below them if the trip was short. Chances are you'll still need to have a coach seat in addition to the roomette.

If you're trying to save a buck, consider getting a roomette instead of a bedroom! A roomette is less, and gives you the same benefits (such as meals) as the bedroom!
Two adults and a teenager might be a tight fit in a roomette, assuming you could even get Amtrak to book it that way. I guess one person could sleep on the top bunk while two people sat below them if the trip was short. Chances are you'll still need to have a coach seat in addition to the roomette.
I was taking about a roomette for 2 people or 2 roomettes for 4 people (if they chose that). A bedroom also only has 2 berths, so it would also be the same sleeping arrangement mentioned for 3 people!
rolleyes.gif
And a roomette is generally less than a bedroom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back