New Rider - Questions about the Crescent

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Teamfour

Train Attendant
Except for a short trip from Washington DC to Philadelphia last year, I consider myself to be a new rider.

I am thinking of taking the Crescent from DC to Slidell, LA and have two questions. 1) Are there any outlets in the Coach cars, and 2) is there any such thing as onboard Internet access?

TIA, Lee

Except for a short trip from Washington DC to Philadelphia last year, I consider myself to be a new rider.
I am thinking of taking the Crescent from DC to Slidell, LA and have two questions. 1) Are there any outlets in the Coach cars, and 2) is there any such thing as onboard Internet access?

TIA, Lee
Lee, you'll find that some of the coach cars on the Crescent will probably have power outlets at each seat, while others do not. Keep in mind that seats are generally assigned on the Crescent out of DC, and they'll assign that seat just as you step into the car. If a power outlet is important, mention it to the coach attendant when you board in DC and he/she may be able to accommodate you in another car if the car they were planning to put you in doesn't have them. Otherwise, they may advise you to use the lounge car to charge your device, as there are power outlets there.

There's no onboard internet provided by Amtrak, but most Cellular Wireless cards (AirCards) will work for much of the Crescent's route.

-Rafi

Lee, you'll find that some of the coach cars on the Crescent will probably have power outlets at each seat, while others do not. Keep in mind that seats are generally assigned on the Crescent out of DC, and they'll assign that seat just as you step into the car. If a power outlet is important, mention it to the coach attendant when you board in DC and he/she may be able to accommodate you in another car if the car they were planning to put you in doesn't have them. Otherwise, they may advise you to use the lounge car to charge your device, as there are power outlets there.
There's no onboard internet provided by Amtrak, but most Cellular Wireless cards (AirCards) will work for much of the Crescent's route.

-Rafi
Thanks for the quick reply and excellent info!

Keep in mind that seats are generally assigned on the Crescent out of DC, and they'll assign that seat just as you step into the car.
I have been reading the "reserved seating" debate, and got to wondering about the statement above. Does the statement mean that as I get on the train in DC, the attendant will tell me to sit in seat #xx? What if I want a window? Does "greasing the palm" work like getting a good table in a restaurant? :p

Also, what happens when I get up to go to the lounge, cafe, etc? Do I put a sign on the seat saying it is taken?

Sorry for the newbie questions.

Keep in mind that seats are generally assigned on the Crescent out of DC, and they'll assign that seat just as you step into the car.
I have been reading the "reserved seating" debate, and got to wondering about the statement above. Does the statement mean that as I get on the train in DC, the attendant will tell me to sit in seat #xx? What if I want a window? Does "greasing the palm" work like getting a good table in a restaurant? :p

Also, what happens when I get up to go to the lounge, cafe, etc? Do I put a sign on the seat saying it is taken?

Hey, that's exactly what Anthony created this site for~newbies and oldies questions. Join the crowd 'cause we all have questions whether we're seasoned Amtrakers or new to the rails.

As far as your seating goes a polite, "I sure would appreciate a window seat", followed up by a palm greasing at the end of your journey should suffice. Unfortunately, the lounge car is first come, first served. You cannot "claim" a seat for the duration of the trip (except in Business Class which the Crescent does not have, yet!)

Lee,

Here's a little more detail:

When you start boarding in DC, you'll head down an escalator to Union Station's lower platforms. You'll then start walking forward past the baggage car of the train, past the sleepers, past the Diner and Lounge cars, and to the coaches which are on the back of the train. There are usually four or five coaches on the Crescent these days, and you'll see at least two amtrak personnel stationed at coach boarding points along the train. The Crescent groups its coach passengers in certain cars by station region, so walk to the first Amtrak crew member you see standing outside of a coach car and tell them where you're going. They'll either board you at that location, or they'll direct you further down to another coach boarding point (again, depends on your destination).

When you board, the crew member will hand you a boarding card with a seat number written on it and will ask you to board the train and go either left or right, depending on which car you're in. The crew member will almost always give you an aisle seat next to someone who boarded the train in a window seat between New York and Baltimore. Now is the time to ask for a window seat if you want one, but keep in mind that if there's a window seat open, it's probably next to an open aisle seat as well, and they like to reserve those seat pairs for families and groups. So, if the train is expected to be sold out, they may not be able to accommodate you. It really just depends on how easily the crew member can juggle the seating arrangements on the fly.

When you find the seat, either place the boarding card in the slot above the seat or just hang onto it. The conductor or coach attendant will make a visit after everyone has boarded to make sure you're in the correct seat and to collect your ticket. When your ticket is collected, a destination card will be placed above your seat informing the coach attendant and conductors of your destination, how many people are in your party, and, obviously, that the seat is occupied. That card should be left there as long as you're on board, so if you go to the lounge or the dining car, no one will sit down in your seat.

-Rafi

Wow! Y'all are great with fast and informative replies. Thanks!

OK, one more question and then I'm done.

I will be traveling to Slidell, LA which, according to the route pamphlet, is only stopped at upon request. How do I request this? Is the fact that I purchased the ticket with Slidell as the end point enough?

The fact that you purchased a ticket is enough.

That said, it probably wouldn't hurt to remind your attendant as you get closer that you are indeed getting off there.

Teamfour:
Just curiosity: What takes you to Slidell / have you been there before?

Slidell is famous for only one thing that comes to my mind: The most awful tasting water anywhere.
I lived in Slidell for 15 years. I love "egg water".

We moved to Madisonville (25 miles away) after rebuilding and selling my house after Katrina. Slidell is closer and easier to get to from my home than downtown New Orleans. It's bad enough I have to work in the Big Sleazy. <_<

Teamfour:

Slidell is famous for only one thing that comes to my mind: The most awful tasting water anywhere.

We moved to Madisonville (25 miles away) after rebuilding and selling my house after Katrina. Slidell is closer and easier to get to from my home than downtown New Orleans. It's bad enough I have to work in the Big Sleazy. <_<
Is "egg water" the same as sulfur water? If so... YUCK! They do say though that you get used to it if you have to!

Teamfour:

It is definitely an acquired taste, one I have no desire to acquire. Had the experience twice. Both totally unintenional. Once as a kid on a family trip to the Mississippi Gulf Coast and then New Orleans, and again some 30 years later with my own kids doing a late night stop off the Interstate coming east from Houston.

Lee,

Here's a little more detail:

When you start boarding in DC, you'll head down an escalator to Union Station's lower platforms. You'll then start walking forward past the baggage car of the train, past the sleepers, past the Diner and Lounge cars, and to the coaches which are on the back of the train. There are usually four or five coaches on the Crescent these days, and you'll see at least two amtrak personnel stationed at coach boarding points along the train. The Crescent groups its coach passengers in certain cars by station region, so walk to the first Amtrak crew member you see standing outside of a coach car and tell them where you're going. They'll either board you at that location, or they'll direct you further down to another coach boarding point (again, depends on your destination).

When you board, the crew member will hand you a boarding card with a seat number written on it and will ask you to board the train and go either left or right, depending on which car you're in. The crew member will almost always give you an aisle seat next to someone who boarded the train in a window seat between New York and Baltimore. Now is the time to ask for a window seat if you want one, but keep in mind that if there's a window seat open, it's probably next to an open aisle seat as well, and they like to reserve those seat pairs for families and groups. So, if the train is expected to be sold out, they may not be able to accommodate you. It really just depends on how easily the crew member can juggle the seating arrangements on the fly.

When you find the seat, either place the boarding card in the slot above the seat or just hang onto it. The conductor or coach attendant will make a visit after everyone has boarded to make sure you're in the correct seat and to collect your ticket. When your ticket is collected, a destination card will be placed above your seat informing the coach attendant and conductors of your destination, how many people are in your party, and, obviously, that the seat is occupied. That card should be left there as long as you're on board, so if you go to the lounge or the dining car, no one will sit down in your seat.

-Rafi
Also if you want to move seats after seating just ask, but don't move and just stick your seat check in another seat, it will mess up their car chart. And if all else fails migrate to the cafe, they don't seem to mind if you linger there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back