New Paint for Pacific Surfliner Superliner Coach

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For some time, the Pacific Surfliner trainsets usually have a Superliner coach in the consist...still painted in what I believe is Phase IVb. Spotted at L.A. Union Station this afternoon, a Superliner coach that has been re-painted to Pacific Surfliner livery but without "Surfliner" across the side.

IMG_0429_1.JPG

IMG_0430_1.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a bit surprised Caltrans would go through the expense because those are fixed-term lease cars (free use for repair, I think) and have already been around for a while, so how much time could be left on the lease? Also, with new corridor cars coming, the days of the SuperSurfers are ever so slowly drawing to a close.

On the other hand, the matching livery does look nice.

The other item I noticed is "California Department of Transportation" and logo on the side which is not present on the other cars. The other cars simply say "Amtrak California" under the word "Surfliner."

This is not new. I ride the Surfliner regularly enough that I can't recall when they started doing this, but it seems like it's been a couple years at least. It started out with just one or two cars but there are more now.

Please note that the interior of the Superliner cars that have been repainted in this manner have been reconfigured to be more commuter-style:

- Less pitch for more seats

- Legrests removed

- Less recline

There are still Superliner cars in the long-distance configuration on the Surfliner, but not as many as before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back