New Orleans Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm catching the Crescent in New Orleans.

Is it possible to check my baggage the night before?

What is the restaurant like at NOL?

What time does boarding begin?

I'm catching the Crescent in New Orleans.

Is it possible to check my baggage the night before?

What is the restaurant like at NOL?

What time does boarding begin?
  • Congratulations. It's a great ride.
  • Yes, you may check your luggage in up to 24 hours before the departure of your train. Since the luggage needs to be actually in the agent's hand a minimum of 45 minutes before scheduled departure, early check-in for a morning departure such as the Crescent is a very good idea.
  • There is a Subway sandwich shop and a small counter/tray service deli. While it's a bit cheaper than the train, you can probably do as well by boarding the train and having breakfast in the diner (which normally opens after passing Slidell).
  • Not exactly sure for this specific train, but generally they begin boarding 20-30 minutes before scheduled departure. If your luggage is already checked in and you get to the station by 6:45 you should be safe (no need to check in if you're not checking luggage). If you need to check baggage the morning of departure be there in line by 6:00 a.m.

It's unfortunate that New Orleans Union Terminal is in a bit of a food desert. There are so many good places to eat just a mile, or so away. They're just not near NOL.

It's unfortunate that New Orleans Union Terminal is in a bit of a food desert. There are so many good places to eat just a mile, or so away. They're just not near NOL.
If your legs are broken, I guess.

There are places to eat about a half a mile away, and the street car can be caught right out front to places further afield....

There are places to eat about a half a mile away, and the street car can be caught right out front to places further afield....
Right. I normally walk a mile to eat lunch. ;) A point to keep in mind is that many parts of New Orleans are not very safe and I'd classify the area around NOL to be one of them. I wouldn't walk there after dark. Wandering into the wrong area in New Orleans can get you robbed or killed. Last time I took the street car from the vicinity of NOL down to Canal Street, I had to wait 30 minutes before one arrived.

Right. I normally walk a mile to eat lunch. ;) A point to keep in mind is that many parts of New Orleans are not very safe and I'd classify the area around NOL to be one of them. I wouldn't walk there after dark. Wandering into the wrong area in New Orleans can get you robbed or killed. Last time I took the street car from the vicinity of NOL down to Canal Street, I had to wait 30 minutes before one arrived.
You mean a half a mile. A bit more than the distance from LAUS to Phillippe the Original. Probably a good idea considering the likely caloric intake of the meal.

I have never felt unsafe in New Orleans after dark and consider the area near NOUPT to be particularly so.

Second that the area around Union Station is safe day or night. Lots of upscale hotels,City Hall and the Superdome and NBA Arena (Smoothie Dome)are located close!

It is a food desert though, all the good joints are in the CBD,Convention Center Area,Garden District and the Quarter!

Back