New Orleans Hotel Question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ray828

Train Attendant
I will be having a layover in New Orleans for one night while I wait for my connecting train. Any good hotels in the area close to the station? Any with a shuttle would be preferred. Also how is the cab situation around the station?

Thank You

You can take the new streetcar line from the station up to Canal Street. We stay at the Hampton Inn on Carondelet Street. Just a block from Canal. Very nice and great breakfast. Save the cab fare

I always stay at this place. Paul McCartney did as well, and they even have a suite named after him. It's not that pricey, in the Quarter, very quiet, and away from all that Bourbon BS. I grab a cab at the Amtrak station and it's a 5 minute ride.

http://www.lerichelieuhotel.com/

It's easy to get to the French Quarter from the station. We always took a cab, but I believe there's a streetcar line now. There are many hotels, both large and small, in the French Quarter and around Canal St.

Our favorite was the Bourbon Orleans, but it's near the center of the FQ. For just an overnight, there are undoubtedly closer and less expensive ones. Check out the discount hotel websites for hotels near the FQ. Enjoy your overnight!

I will be having a layover in New Orleans for one night while I wait for my connecting train. Any good hotels in the area close to the station? Any with a shuttle would be preferred. Also how is the cab situation around the station?

Thank You
Avoid Lafitte Guest House in the French Quarter by all costs. Look them up on Trip Advisor.com and see all the complaints.

Has anyone stayed at the Lafayette? We have reservations there in December (befire taking the SL to LAX, then the CS to Oregon). The Richelieu does look nice, but it's a little more expensive.
I did years ago, and found the Richelieu so much nicer. The Lafayette is across Canal out of the Quarter. Lots of street noise and old and dated. I like old and dated, but it was falling apart last I was there.

Has anyone stayed at the Lafayette? We have reservations there in December (befire taking the SL to LAX, then the CS to Oregon). The Richelieu does look nice, but it's a little more expensive.
I did years ago, and found the Richelieu so much nicer. The Lafayette is across Canal out of the Quarter. Lots of street noise and old and dated. I like old and dated, but it was falling apart last I was there.
Thanks for the tip! Will consider changing...

Thanks for the tip! Will consider changing...
You're welcome! Anybody from the Blue Mountains deserves the Richelieu. (My daughter went to Lewis&Clark in PDX and I've traveled all over Oregon. I've also got a buddy in Baker City. Beautiful part of Oregon.)

You're welcome! Anybody from the Blue Mountains deserves the Richelieu. (My daughter went to Lewis&Clark in PDX and I've traveled all over Oregon. I've also got a buddy in Baker City. Beautiful part of Oregon.)
We don't have any train routes close by :huh: . But we have great roads for motorcycle touring, and a couple of great motorcycle rallies here.

What type of hotel are you looking for ? In the Quarter ? on Canal Street ? Big hotel/bed & breakfast ?

Even though I don't go to the Quarter that often anymore, I do have friends in the hospitality industry that I can ask

We don't have any train routes close by :huh: . But we have great roads for motorcycle touring, and a couple of great motorcycle rallies here.
Oh I know....I rode out there on a solo motorcycle trip and took US-26 from around Ontario to Bend. Beautiful country. Also, a note on the Richelieu...it's a 5 minute walk to Cafe DuMonde for beignets and about the same to the French Market. I've stayed there over 20 times starting with Mardi Gras 1969. We also spent our honeymoon there.

You can always see if you can get in at the St. Gregory Hotel. Manager Peter McDermott should be able to help if they are sold out. Be sure not to leave your valuables in your room and you may want to take the stairs.

You can always see if you can get in at the St. Gregory Hotel. Manager Peter McDermott should be able to help if they are sold out. Be sure not to leave your valuables in your room and you may want to take the stairs.
To be sure...that devious Meg Yetmein made off with my Rolex my last visit.

I stayed in the Lafayette last fall, following a recommendation here, and thought it was just fine. The restaurant attached to it was just fine also. Can't say the same for #20 -- with kudzu still in all it's glory, not much of a view.

Has anyone actually taken the streetcar to to/from the train?

It seems that with luggage, you might not be welcomed and when going from the train, it would be overwhelmed when a train comes in.

Does it run late enough for incoming Crescent passengers?

It seems that with luggage, you might not be welcomed and when going from the train, it would be overwhelmed when a train comes in.

You can take the Loyola Ave. streetcar from the station. It goes as far as Harrah's at the river and Canal, but on weekends it goes all the way to the French Market. My favorite ride is on the St. Charles all the way out to Audubon Zoo. Great zoo, btw. It goes through the Garden District and lots of beautiful homes. Oops...forgot. It runs 24 hours a day and it's about 15 minutes to Harrah's. Not bad for 10 bits! A cab is about $12-$15 to Quarter hotels.

Last edited by a moderator:

You can take the Loyola Ave. streetcar from the station. It goes as far as Harrah's at the river and Canal, but on weekends it goes all the way to the French Market. My favorite ride is on the St. Charles all the way out to Audubon Zoo. Great zoo, btw. It goes through the Garden District and lots of beautiful homes. Oops...forgot. It runs 24 hours a day and it's about 15 minutes to Harrah's. Not bad for 10 bits! A cab is about $12-$15 to Quarter hotels.
The Day Pass is a Better Deal as it covers All of the Trolley Routes and City Buses for Unlimited Riding for a Day! ;)

(and don't forget the Ferry to Algiers across the River , it's Free!!! :)

The Day Pass is a Better Deal as it covers All of the Trolley Routes and City Buses for Unlimited Riding for a Day! ;)

(and don't forget the Ferry to Algiers across the River , it's Free!!! :)
Right you are as usual....it's called a "jazz pass" or something...$3.00 unlimited for 24 hours!

Thanks for the info but that is not what I was looking for. The streetcar route and price are easily gotten online but if a lot of people get off the Crescent and try to take it, would you have to wait a while if you weren't among the first? Would the streetcar attendant and/or other passengers be upset with those with luggage?

I'd like to know the answer to his question, too. (We always just grabbed a taxi.) Has anyone taken the streetcar from/to the station, with luggage? Thanks-
I hopped right on off the CONO, but only luggage I had was a leather duffel (like a carry on). I didn't see anyone with large luggage. Maybe a cab would be best, but they can't refuse you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back