New Menu's

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This may sound like an odd question, but there are a few trains (particularly the Cap and the WB LSL) that don't tend to have lunch (at least, as a rule...and especially in the case of the WB trains into CHI). Does anybody know why they print up a full lunch menu there?

Also, as to the Builder...pity, the crabcakes are EB-only (and WB-only on the Zephyr, meaning that anyone doing a "loop" gets stuck with tilapia both ways...which, sadly, is what my trip amounts to).

Edit: Ok, it seems that the trains out west are doing crabcakes one way and tilapia the other. It's just a shame they couldn't have done all the WB trains with one and all the EB trains with the other.

Last edited by a moderator:
The best one I know of near an Amtrak station is that served at Cafecito in Chicago, next to the Hostel.
Perhaps more authentic would be any number of places near the Tampa station, in Ybor City.

I think the pork roast should be marinated in mojo and smell and taste strongly of garlic, but according to Wikipedia that isn't standard.
Yes, I would definitely classify that as not standard -- seems like the garlic would overwhelm the other flavors.

I have doubts about the Amtrak version (do they have a sandwich press?), but would be willing to try it.
The press isn't as much of an issue as the bread, as far as I'm concerned. (When I was growing up in Tampa, I had plenty of unpressed Cubans -- mainly served by school cafeterias -- but they were at least on authentic Cuban bread. I would be very surprised if Amtrak's contractor is using the "correct" bread.)

I can't remember which train I was on, but either the EB or the SWC. I had the ribs and was pleasantly surprised at how good they were. Mmmmmmmmm.

I have typically been disappointed with seafood however. Maybe being from Maine spoils me. My son and I had shrimp scampi on the LSL and it was inedible.

And yes, steaks have rarely (no pun intended) been unsatsfactory. I look forward to having one of the strip steaks, which I have not tried.

That reminds me: I can't stand ribs either. :lol:
Too bad for you...

I see the trains on the "meals at a glance" page now only go one direction.

I had the ribs on the Chief a while ago and they were good but really messy to eat. The Cuban sandwich on the San Joaquin is a good sandwich, not anywhere near as good as the one I had in Florida at Cuban delicatessen but still not bad at all.
I had the ribs on the N/B CONO and I agree, they were good and messy.

They also had a nice smoky flavor and were pretty tender too.

We make killer ribs at home in our smoker so I was surprised they were as good as they were but I just had to try them.

I also make a mean Cuban and love them, so I'm really interested in trying one of those.

I see that someone mentioned a panini machine - all you need is: a griddle and a weighted press to put on the sandwich, no machine needed.

A frying pan and foil wrapped brick will give you the same result.

They've been making Cubans long before panini machines made their debut into the mainstream.

The bread is key but as long as you use a good french or italian loaf or roll you can get away without using authentic Cuban bread.

I sometimes use Bolillo rolls when my grocery store has them.

I've also had good luck with the sub rolls that are from Walmart's bakery, they have a really good texture and flavor.

Cuban Sandwiches are really simple but when those ingredients are heated, melted, and pressed together ....
wub.gif

It's really just a Cuban style, grilled ham & cheese sandwich.

For those that haven't tried one here's a great, recipe you might want to try out sometime:

Cuban Sandwich Recipe

My version of a recipe from 3 Guys from Miami

Prep time: 5 minutes

Cook time: 5 minutes

Total time: 10 minutes

Yield: 4 sandwiches

INGREDIENTS:

1 loaf Cuban, French (not a baguette), or Italian bread or 4 Bolillos or Sub/Hoagie Rolls

3 tablespoons butter

1 pound sliced (not shaved) mild flavored ham

1 pound sliced (not shaved) Cuban pork or roast pork - great use for leftovers

1/2 pound/ at least 8 slices sliced mild Swiss cheese - baby swiss is best

16 slices dill pickles - I find that Vlasic Kosher Dill Sandwich Stackers work and taste best.

Preheat a griddle or large frying pan to medium hot.

Too hot and you will have a burned sandwich before the cheese even melts.

Cut the bread into sections about 8 inches long.

Cut these in half and generously butter the inside of both halves.

Generously fill each sandwich with the ingredients in this order:

Pickles, roasted pork, ham, and cheese.

Melt a little butter in the pan and place the sandwich in the pan.

If the butter browns, your pan is too hot - clean the burned burned butter out with a wad of paper towels, lower the heat and try again.

Use a heavy skillet, sandwich/bacon press, or foil-wrapped brick to flatten the sandwich.

You want to smash the sandwich down to about 1/3 of its original size.

Grill the sandwiches for two to three minutes or until golden brown, then flip them over and grill until golden brown on the other side.

Once the cheese is melted and the bread is golden brown on both sides, the sandwiches are done.

Slice each sandwich in half diagonally and enjoy!

After all that talk about Menus, does anyone have a link to the menus for the Empire Builder as we will be taking a trip in August.

Thank you for all the valuable info on this site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back