New member from WV/PA

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello All,
I joined this site sometime back but have nt been very active. I go by the short name "Nari" and work in the energy business. I have been a lifelong fan of train travel since my younger days in India. Since I moved to the US couple decades ago, I have traveled between SBA-SAN several times way back. After CA, I lived in Germany for a summer where I traveled the local trains several times and had my fill of watching the countryside. Then I went into a train hiatus when I moved to Central PA, save the occasional trip on the Pennsylvanian to NYP or PHL. Last summer, I expanded my recent photography hobby from nature/landscapes to trains, and then started my return to train travel with Amtrak's Cardinal (CHW-CVS) roundtrip, got a BOFA Amtrak card and have been planning more trips. Forgot to add, I had a memorable time riding Alaska railroad's Coastal Classic in Sep, in the last car of the adventure class, where I was outside ("brakeman area"?) almost the entire journey (till it became dark on the return leg). I managed to squeeze in a quick weekend trip on the Capitol Limited in early Dec (COV-WAS) round trip.

I am taking a trip to Miami region in mid-Feb (11-13), plan to ride the Brightline and the Tri-rail to my airbnb in West Palm Beach area. The aim of this trip is to document rail transit in South FL and the support infrastructure. Also hoping to check out the Henry Flagler museum there.

Other trips in the works over next few months should be PGH-BOS (via PHL stop) and SEA-PDX round trip, and maybe PDX-SAN or PDX-CHI one way. Also, if anyone cares, I am also on Flytertalk under the name: psusaver

Pittsburgh (PGH), Connelsville (COV) or Greensburg (GNB) are my closest stations.

Last edited:
I also offer my heartiest welcome. Pre-Covid, on a cruise just before the world crashed down, we decided to stay a night in FTL just so we could check out Brightline at the end of the cruise. Then we took the train back to Savannah where we left our car.

I rode the Smart car. Car #4 4D. Although traveling north this was the lead car in the train.
Comfortable for the short journey (1h12min). Nice tray table with 2 options (just for phone/ipad mini, or laptop). I wasn't trying to nap but had my laptop open as well as take videos/pics. Although if one was hoping to nap the seat recline is quite less and also it's a slide fwd type recline. They're not super soft so some people my find them "stiff".

Attachments

• IMG_20220211_154543579.jpg
    IMG_20220211_154543579.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20220211_154343800~2.jpg
    IMG_20220211_154343800~2.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20220211_170050004_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220211_170050004_HDR.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 5
I rode the Smart car. Car #4 4D. Although traveling north this was the lead car in the train.
Comfortable for the short journey (1h12min). Nice tray table with 2 options (just for phone/ipad mini, or laptop). I wasn't trying to nap but had my laptop open as well as take videos/pics. Although if one was hoping to nap the seat recline is quite less and also it's a slide fwd type recline. They're not super soft so some people my find them "stiff".
What makes the Smart Car smart?

Employees at all interaction levels (luggage checking station-just chatted with them), security check folks, platform guides, and on train staff (conductor type person), the beverage/food service employee - all of them were very courteous and responsive.

I also booked their ride share for pickup (5 mi radius free pickup/or and drop off) but I was late leaving the airport so I called and asked that driver not to bother]. Compared to Trirail they're expensive but if you're willing to pay it's worth it

Back