New Member from Australia

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi All

My name is Geoff and am from Melbourne Australia. Found your site a couple of weeks back while looking for information on Amtrak.

My wife and I are visiting the US in April or May of 2014 and want to travel by train. (dont want to drive at all, and what can you see of a country from 35, 000 feet?).

Initially we were planning the Trans Siberian, but got spooked at the lack of language skills, the reported tourist scams (even shakedowns by the cops in some parts) and believe it or not, the prohibitive cost of getting there in the first place).

We decided on the US for at least two of the above reasons (costs less and and even if we do get robbed or scammed in the US at least the perp may understand our pathetic pleas for mercy :) )

Seriously though, after even a cursory search of Amtrak and its facilities (and a read through Jim Loomis' book - All Aboard -, we were impressed with the value and the sleeping compartments (especially compared to the sleepers on the Trans Siberian).

We are planning San Fran to Chicago (maybe stopping in Denver), Chicago to Washington, Washington to New York, fly to Las Vegas, back to San Francisco and Yosemite and then come home and collapse.

WIll be mainly browsing these forums for information and may ask a question or two as we get closer to booking etc.

We aren't train enthusiasts however we did travel throughout Japan in 2009 on all manner of trains (including Shinkansen) on the main Islands and found it a wonderful way to see the country.

Australia also has a couple of epic train journeys - The Indian Pacific, across the continent from Sydney to Perth, and The Ghan, up through the dead heart of Australia from Adelaide to Darwin. Both are comparatively expensive compared to Amtrak, however you get what you pay for in luxury.

An observation or two from afar if I may.

The US seems to have a pretty robust, low cost, fairly reliable mode of transport for the less wealthy in Amtrak. From what i have read it makes about 80% of its running cost in ticket sales, and passanger numbers are continuing to increase at a healthy rate. I dont understand why it is so critisised and why the govt funding is known as a subsidy like it is somehow "unworthy". The airline industry got a $16 bill subsidy after 9/11 and they weren't critisised. What type of taxpayer subsidy did the Finance industry get after the GFC?

I think there are many people who dont realise how efficient your national rail is running. 80% of running costs on ticket revenue would make it one of the most efficient national railways in the world.

The cost of tickets to us was quite extraordinary. We calculated the cost for our journey by all rail with at least 5 stops and all in sleepers and we thought it was great value, especially with all meals included.

Anyway, enough of me. Looking forward to getting some helpful tips over the coming months. Looking forward to seeing your magnificent country already.

cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:

The US seems to have a pretty robust, low cost, fairly reliable mode of transport for the less wealthy in Amtrak.

Low cost? Sure, Coach is usually qffordable, but you've got to dig hard to et cheap Sleeper fares. They are almost always more expensive than flying, and you won't find much "poor people" on Amtrak, either. In fact, many people I find on trains are splurging for the experience.

I don't have that much money, so I only travel by train when I can snag a low fare on Amsnag. Otherwise.....the avatar explains it.....

Hi All

My name is Geoff and am from Melbourne Australia. Found your site a couple of weeks back while looking for information on Amtrak.

My wife and I are visiting the US in April or May of 2014 and want to travel by train. (dont want to drive at all, and what can you see of a country from 35, 000 feet?).

Initially we were planning the Trans Siberian, but got spooked at the lack of language skills, the reported tourist scams (even shakedowns by the cops in some parts) and believe it or not, the prohibitive cost of getting there in the first place).

We decided on the US for at least two of the above reasons (costs less and and even if we do get robbed or scammed in the US at least the perp may understand our pathetic pleas for mercy :) )

Seriously though, after even a cursory search of Amtrak and its facilities (and a read through Jim Loomis' book - All Aboard -, we were impressed with the value and the sleeping compartments (especially compared to the sleepers on the Trans Siberian).

We are planning San Fran to Chicago (maybe stopping in Denver), Chicago to Washington, Washington to New York, fly to Las Vegas, back to San Francisco and Yosemite and then come home and collapse.

WIll be mainly browsing these forums for information and may ask a question or two as we get closer to booking etc.

We aren't train enthusiasts however we did travel throughout Japan in 2009 on all manner of trains (including Shinkansen) on the main Islands and found it a wonderful way to see the country.

Australia also has a couple of epic train journeys - The Indian Pacific, across the continent from Sydney to Perth, and The Ghan, up through the dead heart of Australia from Adelaide to Darwin. Both are comparatively expensive compared to Amtrak, however you get what you pay for in luxury.

An observation or two from afar if I may.

The US seems to have a pretty robust, low cost, fairly reliable mode of transport for the less wealthy in Amtrak. From what i have read it makes about 80% of its running cost in ticket sales, and passanger numbers are continuing to increase at a healthy rate. I dont understand why it is so critisised and why the govt funding is known as a subsidy like it is somehow "unworthy". The airline industry got a $16 bill subsidy after 9/11 and they weren't critisised. What type of taxpayer subsidy did the Finance industry get after the GFC?

I think there are many people who dont realise how efficient your national rail is running. 80% of running costs on ticket revenue would make it one of the most efficient national railways in the world.

The cost of tickets to us was quite extraordinary. We calculated the cost for our journey by all rail with at least 5 stops and all in sleepers and we thought it was great value, especially with all meals included.

Anyway, enough of me. Looking forward to getting some helpful tips over the coming months. Looking forward to seeing your magnificent country already.

cheers.
Hi Geoff,

I'm a fellow Melbournian, my wife and I are booked to do almost exactly the same journey in March next year as you are planning.

Except we will start in Los Angeles and finish in New York with stopovers in San Francisco, Chicago and Washington on the way. We are taking our journey to catch a cruise out of New York.

You are right about the value of Amtrak fares when compared with Australian rail journeys; our cross America fare with bedrooms and meals is cheaper than 2 nights on the Ghan.

This forum has an amazing group of knowledgable and friendly people - there is always someone to help with whatever questions that you may have about your proposed journey.

Welcome Geoff,

Your trip sounds very nice. We live in New Jersey and have a daughter in San Francisco,

so we have taken the coast to coast trip several times - in a sleeper.

I have traveled to Australia a few times. We had a friend in Ashmore. I still remember the

street in Melbourne where you must make a right turn from the left lane crossing three

lanes of traffic!!

Been to Sydney, Brisbane (Gold Coast & Sunshine Coast) and Surfer's Paradise. All

beautiful and interesting places.

I hope you will enjoy your trip and have a great experience on Amtrak. I have met several

Aussie's in the dining car and sightseer lounge on Amtrak.

G'day and welcome! :hi:

I do agree with you that a country is better viewed from 3-15 feet than from 35,000 feet! And contrary to what was said earlier, I don't think a sleeper on Amtrak is a luxury. If you consider that meals in the Dining Car are included in the fare, a sleeper can sometimes cost less than coach! And this is much more true if 2 are traveling in the room, as the room costs the same for 1 person or 2 people in the room.

If we can be of any help or if you have any questions, ask away in the main forum. I'm sure you receive plenty of help from the AU family! I hope you enjoy your holiday in the US! :)

Thank you all for the welcome.

lol - come to a discussion forum on American train travel and two of the 6 responses are from Aussies within a hundred miles of me :)

diecastaussie - your trip sounds great and very similiar to our proposed journey. We will be spending more time on the east coast (always wanted to go to the east coast more than anywhere else in the US). I will look forward to your report once you get back.

You are also correct re ticket prices, much much cheaper than the Indian Pacific or The Ghan. When we looked at the Trans Siberian, the costs were similiar to the US but the airfares to get there (and back) were very expensive, and the actual sleeping compartments looked much inferior. In fact to get a two birth was more expensive than most Amtrak sleepers. Throw in meals and the Amtrak prices are very reasonable in comparision.

Shanghai - yes Melbourne is (in)famous for our hook turns. We are the only major city in Australia to still have a comprehensive tram network and turning right from the left hand lane in the CBD makes sure the trams aren't held up behind right turning cars. Freaks out my Sydney relatives, but it is quite sensible and easy once you get the hang of it.

Thanks all. Looking forward to using this great resource.

cheers

Welcome to AU from another Jeff! :lol:

I've taken the California Zephyr several times from Chicago to Sacramento, but never the other way. It is very scenic IMHO, sometimes spectacularly so. I always enjoy seeing reports of our country (and Amtrak) from the perspective of someone from another country other than ours. I have had, over the last few years, many conversations over a meal in the diner with your fellow countrymen, and I love to hear about their impressions of the USA from their perspective. I'm sure it is like this in every other country, but sometimes we can't see the forest for the trees when it comes to our own country. As for why the subsidy for Amtrak is criticized by some of our politicians, well, you'd have to get into their minds for that answer. But then again, I'm not so sure you'd find very many that have minds. :rolleyes:

Enjoy your trip! It sounds like a great one! I remember one trip in which among other passengers at our breakfast table (this was on the Empire Builder, the last meal before arrival into Seattle) was an Aussie woman who had flown to Chicago and was on her way first to Seattle and then down to San Francisco, and she was like a kid at Christmas as she related her impressions of her trip to that point. She just loved train travel in the US and marveled at the differences in scenery, and at how big our country is. I hope you and your wife find your journey every bit as enjoyable as this woman did.

:" But then again, I'm not so sure you'd find very many that have minds. :rolleyes: "

I have a tshirt with a quote from Mark Twain: Suppose you were an idiot. Suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself. CJ

G'day and welcome! :hi:

I do agree with you that a country is better viewed from 3-15 feet than from 35,000 feet! And contrary to what was said earlier, I don't think a sleeper on Amtrak is a luxury. If you consider that meals in the Dining Car are included in the fare, a sleeper can sometimes cost less than coach! And this is much more true if 2 are traveling in the room, as the room costs the same for 1 person or 2 people in the room.

If we can be of any help or if you have any questions, ask away in the main forum. I'm sure you receive plenty of help from the AU family! I hope you enjoy your holiday in the US! :)
I know what you mean but train in the US are not....."lower class" than other modes of transport, considering that most prople fly or drive a car. More adventurous people take the bus.

I dont remember saying Amtrak was for "poor" people.

I am sure catching the bus is even cheaper. I am just going off the 31 million who used Amtrak last year, and some books I read, one by an Australian who travelled by train across America in 2006 for about 6 months. His impression was that the people he met were mainly middle or lower middle class and many caught it because it was the cheapest and most comfortable way of getting to their destinations.

But as I said, I have never even travelled on an American train so I am certainly not trying to lecture. There is probably other means of travel that are cheaper, however it seems the train is a cheap, comfortable, and safe way to make relatively long journeys.

As far as costs go, I suppose it is relative. We worked out that our trip (Amtrak prices only mind you) with about 5 stops would cost about between $2500 and $2800 AUD for the two of us. (depending on the combination of sleepers and coach between Washington and NY).

For the time period (about 7 days) a trip on the Ghan or Indian Pacific in Australia would cost about four times that amount and I dont think that includes meals.

I am sure catching the bus is even cheaper. I am just going off the 31 million who used Amtrak last year, and some books I read, one by an Australian who travelled by train across America in 2006 for about 6 months. His impression was that the people he met were mainly middle or lower middle class and many caught it because it was the cheapest and most comfortable way of getting to their destinations.

But as I said, I have never even travelled on an American train so I am certainly not trying to lecture. There is probably other means of travel that are cheaper, however it seems the train is a cheap, comfortable, and safe way to make relatively long journeys.

As far as costs go, I suppose it is relative. We worked out that our trip (Amtrak prices only mind you) with about 5 stops would cost about between $2500 and $2800 AUD for the two of us. (depending on the combination of sleepers and coach between Washington and NY).

For the time period (about 7 days) a trip on the Ghan or Indian Pacific in Australia would cost about four times that amount and I dont think that includes meals.
I meant no offence. I just meant to say that Amtrak trains are a lot more expensive than many other foreign trains (Europe/Asia). The US also sees over 600 million domestic-flight-pax every year, much more than Amtrak. As much as I hate to say it, Amtrak is probably a US stepchild.

Amtrak is relatively cheap for coach travel on shorter distances. Sleepers are cheap when compared to Australia and even Canada. But Amtrak does provide good service in that most of our long distance trains run every day except for 2 routes. The sleepers won't be "luxurious" but I think you'll find them to be quite comfortable for your journey across the US. Keep in mind that most of the routes, except for the part between Washington and New York run on rail owned by the freight rail companies. Although timeliness has much improved over the past few years, Amtrak train are dispatched by the private freight companies. But you're there for the journey so don't watch your watch too much. You won't need to. If you want, schedule a day or two in Chicago and you won't have to worry about missed connections. Chicago is a great city anyway.

I was in Sydney this past April and I got to see the Indian Pacific depart from the station. Sadly I was not on it. :( But I did take an overnight train from there to Brisbane in coach seats. It was pleasant except for the rude couple sitting behind me who wouldn't stop talking at all hours of the night. Other than that, I enjoyed Australia. It's just quite expensive for us Americans now, that I could hardly afford to stay very long.

I meant no offence. I just meant to say that Amtrak trains are a lot more expensive than many other foreign trains (Europe/Asia). The US also sees over 600 million domestic-flight-pax every year, much more than Amtrak. As much as I hate to say it, Amtrak is probably a US stepchild.
No offence taken at all. I am ignorant of American train travel and my observations are from that point of ignorance. More than happy to be have more knowledgable views put forward. I am amazed at the flights per year in the US and can see your point.

BTW just watching an Australian travel show where one of the presenters is travelling through the Rockies in Canada by train. Reinforces my longing to do the same in the US :)

Thanks Saxman. We are planning to stop off in Chicago for a couple of days. Wouldn't miss stopping there. Like many places in the US, Chicago, like much of America is familiar to us due to the US being the dominant English speaking culture especially in entertainment since WWII.

We grew up watching movies and TV based in the big cities of the states. How could we travel to the states and not stop in a place like Chicago? Hell we were even thinking of stopping in Omaha :)

We have also checked out the sleepers on Youtube and think they look fine. We dont go in for super luxury and we enjoy the journey. Also understand that the tracks are owned privately and delays are common. Delays are all part of travel in my opinion.

And yes the Aussie dollar is quite strong at the moment, about 1.04 to the US dollar. My daughter is off to Britian and France in January and she is getting 62 pence to the $ and 72 cents to the Euro. When I was last in Europe I got about half that.

Hello!

I just got off the Zephyr - Chicago to San Francisco.

It was a very scenic trip.

One word of advice: if at all possible,

Even if it means scrimping on some other

part of the trip, get the bedroom, not

a roomette! The in-room facilities

and much larger space make the trip

Much more enjoyable. By searching for fares on

various dates, you can save 50%

or more on the 'normal' rate.

An additional benefit is that the lowest rate

days are also the days when the train is

not filled to capacity, which means the crew

is less pressured and can be more accommodating.

Back