New member checking in

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, I'm saying hello to everyone. I grew up outside of Philadelphia close to the Septa (former Reading) R5 line in the Ambler area. My dad was a railfan and I caught the bug. I passed it on to my son. Dad took me on a lot of sleeper trips on the Pennsy before it caved in. There was nothing better. A few trips on PC weren't too great. I've done a lot of Amtrak trips, the only big ones left are the SW Chief and the Zephyr...we will be going on the Zephyr in May, both directions. My Amtrak experiences have been mostly positive, although taking Silver Service Philly-W. Palm Beach last year we had a sleeper attendant who was not attentive and downright surly dining car staff. I've also enjoyed some of the nicest staff and fellow passengers you could ask for. I have lived near the old Reading Lurgan line for quite a while...I always end up near Reading tracks and that's just fine with me. I also am a big PRR fan.

Welcome! The Zephyr is considered one of the better Amtrak trains, especially for scenery West of Denver.

I lived in PA for many years working along the R5 in North Wales then Fort Washington, occasionally taking the train to work from our home in Swarthmore although it took much longer than driving.

Back