New FRA final rule on Cellphones and personal devices.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok here is link to new Final FRA rule on cellphones, makes some interesting observations in 17 pages of mishaps, concentrating on multiple crew members being on phones at time of crashes.so there goes the extra pair of eyes theory.

Here is link to new FRA rule about cellphones:

http://www.fra.dot.gov/downloads/PubAff ... rder26.pdf
That link is more broken than the telephone I got angry at and sledged.

Here's a news recap:

Federal railroad regulators have issued an emergency order prohibiting the use of personal electronic devices by rail workers operating trains and performing other key jobs.

The Federal Railroad Administration issued the order Thursday. It says violators will be subject to civil penalties and removed from "safety-sensitive" jobs.
Hartford Courant story Link

The prohibition works two ways. It also means local train managers can no longer telephone the crews' personal cellphones anymore when they want to generally meddle in the operations. It's radio communications or nothing now.

Hi Ham, Cq dx de G0oai..

I noticed on page 28 clause 5) "An employee may refer to a digital timepiece to ascertain the time of day"

I can see that as a loophole, as there is no mention of how long they can be distracted by looking at it..

Ed B)

I noticed on page 28 clause 5) "An employee may refer to a digital timepiece to ascertain the time of day"
I can see that as a loophole, as there is no mention of how long they can be distracted by looking at it..
If the timepiece shows the day of the month, are they prohibited from looking at said timepiece?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back