New dining options (flex dining) effective October 1

Discussion in 'Amtrak Rail Discussion' started by SanDiegan, Jul 13, 2019.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

1. Nov 2, 2019 #1276

crescent-zephyr

c

crescent-zephyr

Conductor

You can get hot water and hot tea from the diner / sleeper lounge as well as coffee, soft drinks, etc.

2. Nov 2, 2019 #1277

Twinkletoes

T

Twinkletoes

For me one theme recurs in this and other discussions: although Amtrak is one company, there is no (enforced??) uniform service standard in practice. On each trip and with different sleeping car attendants or dining car people, the service is variable. Example: previously for some, attendant's meal service in the room meant getting a white bag that may or may not have included the meal you ordered standard condiments such as a butter or margarine for baked potatoes or bread or, salt/pepper/sugar; ketchup While for others it meant getting a tray lined with linen napkins with a thoughtful provision of all condiments and the right order. Lately there has also been inconsistent diner service: from reservations/no reservations; announcement/no announcement of the diner sitting time. I won't continue. Overall it's difficult as a passenger to have to deal with having people express their impatience with you because whatever you were instructed to do or were told is the process on the last trip is "wrong" the next time. I expect the chaos to continue. In the dim past, I recall that there was more consistency.

Bob Dylan likes this.
  3. Nov 2, 2019 #1278

pennyk

pennyk

pennyk

Conductor Staff Member Administator Moderator Gathering Team Member

I agree with Anderson. I would not personally use a water boiler for fear of blowing a circuit. I agree that you can get hot water from the sleeper lounge.

drfonta likes this.
  4. Nov 2, 2019 #1279

me_little_me

m

me_little_me

Conductor

What a wonderful idea! Especially if that were passed on to management viafeedback.

On the other hand, many might consider that inappropriate in that subjecting non-premier travelers to that food might be considered to be an act of terrorism. :)

Rail Freak likes this.
  5. Nov 3, 2019 #1280

bratkinson

bratkinson

bratkinson

OBS Chief

I would suspect that since the outlets in the roomettes are likely built with heavy enough wire (12ga?) to handle hair dryers, there shouldn't be any problem with using a small cup-of-water type heating device. Check the wattage on your hair dryer...1200 to 2000 watts, usually. If your water heating device draws less, you're in luck! If not, I'm sure the SCA knows how to reset the breaker. Perhaps asking the SCA in advance if hair dryers are OK would be the best path to follow.

6. Nov 3, 2019 #1281

Pat Harper

Pat Harper

Pat Harper

Lead Service Attendant

Actually, the outlets in the roomettes were intended for electric shavers, not hairdryers.

7. Nov 3, 2019 #1282

FrensicPic

FrensicPic

FrensicPic

Conductor

During October we experienced the Lake Shore Limited* and Crescent** trains (and the new menu) for the first time. Food quality aside, lunch and dinner shares 4 items (5 if you count the "Kid's Meal" (pasta and meatballs) rather than separate lunch and dinner choices. In our trip mentioned, we had 2 breakfasts, 2 lunches, and 3 dinners from the flexible menu. A little more variety would be nice.

On the LSL, the "serving" of meals was was problematic. We lined up at the entrance to the kitchen (galley) placed our order which was prepared; one person at a time. We received our food and returned to a table. When done, we bused our own table. The line for food extended past the first couple of tables (people standing next to you if you were in one of those booths) which restricted movement through the car...the conductor and others had to squeeze through that part of the car.

On the Crescent, the 2 SCA's assisted the LSL in the diner/lounge for dinner and the LSL seemed to be more organized. She would come to your table, take your order and return later with the food. Smoother operation and I tipped her at the end of the trip.

Disappointed that hard boiled eggs were removed from the breakfast menu. How complicated are those to store and serve?

*#48(14) CHI>BUF; #48(16) BUF>NYP
    **#19(21) NYP>NOL
    This trip was book-ended by #4(11) LAX>CHI AND #1(23) NOL>LAX

On the LSL...
    20191017_124147.jpg 20191017_130331.jpg
    We later learned that those "trays" were washed and used again!

daybeers likes this.
  8. Nov 3, 2019 #1283

crescent-zephyr

c

crescent-zephyr

Conductor

So as usual.... all the crews are making up how they want to personally do the job.

me_little_me, chrsjrcj and daybeers like this.
  9. Nov 3, 2019 #1284

Cho Cho Charlie

Cho Cho Charlie

Cho Cho Charlie

Conductor

Even with a sign, I can see the trays that have been dumped into the garbage.

FrensicPic likes this.
  10. Nov 3, 2019 #1285

Thirdrail7

T

Thirdrail7

Conductor AU Supporter

Or modifying things to help the flow of the train. What may work flawlessly on the LSL may be a hindrance on the Cardinal. From everything I've ready, the crews were not supposed to wait tables. yet, some are, If it helps the flow and eliminates a line that cuts off the through passage, it may be the better way.

daybeers likes this.
  11. Nov 3, 2019 #1286

crescent-zephyr

c

crescent-zephyr

Conductor

I don’t disagree with you. As with the traditional dining, some crew modifications made a better experience for the customer, some made it a worse experience.

I think there should be a standard experience that guests should expect.

12. Nov 3, 2019 #1287

FrensicPic

FrensicPic

FrensicPic

Conductor

Some of us interpreted "tray" to be the large cafeteria type tray we used to carry 2 or more meals back to our tables, not the little individual tray!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
    Dakota 400 likes this.
  13. Nov 3, 2019 #1288

Dakota 400

D

Dakota 400

Conductor

McDonald's provide a more appropriate tray for dine-in meals than the photos show of those Amtrak trays!

14. Nov 3, 2019 #1289

Austruck

Austruck

Austruck

Service Attendant

Late this month, I'm heading south from Pittsburgh to Tampa on the Silver Star. Then back north on the Silver Meteor three weeks later.

It's been a year since I've taken this trip, so I assume some of the meals are now changed over to the new system. What should I expect in either direction on those Silvers? I'm okay with eating in my roomettes.

15. Nov 3, 2019 #1290

Palmetto

Palmetto

Palmetto

Conductor

Expect the flexible dining situation northbound. What you experienced on the Silver Star last year is still in effect this year. (Eating in your roomette is an option, not a requirement.)

Austruck likes this.
  16. Nov 3, 2019 #1291

Austruck

Austruck

Austruck

Service Attendant

I experienced standing in line for a new-fangled meal back in May (back from Fort Lauderdale), and frankly think everyone would prefer I stay in my room rather than clog up the line. :) :)

Palmetto likes this.
  17. Nov 4, 2019 #1292

me_little_me

m

me_little_me

Conductor

McDonalds also provides far better breakfast sandwiches (and I'm anything but a fan of their food) as well as better service and also allows one to customize its meals. I never saw a McDonalds person be demanding as to doing service "their way".

Dakota 400 and crescent-zephyr like this.
  18. Nov 4, 2019 #1293

PaulM

PaulM

PaulM

Conductor

@Austruck

Did you mean Silver Meteor or did I miss the announcement that the Silver Star now has a sleeper lounge with "enhanced" dining?

19. Nov 4, 2019 #1294

VentureForth

VentureForth

VentureForth

Conductor

They are getting one but not sure if implemented yet. I heard 2020 for the Star.

20. Nov 4, 2019 #1295

Austruck

Austruck

Austruck

Service Attendant

Took one in one direction and the other coming home. So... I end up using both on the same roundtrip.

21. Nov 6, 2019 #1296

MARC Rider

M

MARC Rider

Conductor

Uh, I've been to plenty of McDonald's where the level of the service was, shall we say, less than optimal.

22. Nov 6, 2019 #1297

jis

jis

jis

Conductor AU Lifetime Supporter Gathering Team Member

McDonalds provided trays? The last three McDonalds I went to had only paper bags irrespective of whether you were eating in or taking out. Maybe they ran out of trays (how?) or something.

23. Nov 6, 2019 #1298

Rasputin

R

Rasputin

Lead Service Attendant

In my experience with contemporary dining on the Lake Shore this past May I would have definitely preferred breakfast at McDonalds.

24. Nov 6, 2019 #1299

Palmland

Palmland

Palmland

OBS Chief

If Amtrak had Chick-fil-A quality of food and service, I suspect it would be preferable to Flex dining.

25. Nov 6, 2019 #1300

lordsigma

l

lordsigma

OBS Chief

I have to confess I kind of like the Jimmy Dean muffin sandwiches they have on Amtrak. But I also like McDonalds biscuit sandwiches so I'm not sure which I'd prefer!