New Connecticut Rail Cars

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrFSS

Engineer
Honored Member
Governor M. Jodi Rell unveiled the exterior design and the interior features of the new M-8 rail cars for the New Haven Line commuter train fleet. The Connecticut Department of Transportation (DOT) and Metro North Railroad (MNR) have been working with Kawasaki Rail Car, Inc., over the past several months to finalize designs and begin engineering of the new fleet. Continued progress on the state-of-the-art replacement rail cars are a major component of the Governor’s 2005 transportation initiative to revitalize Connecticut’s commuter services.

Story Here

Are they going to continue running them until then?
I would think so, as long as the shops can keep the current cars on the road until the new ones arrive. I've heard of no plans to discontinue them, and I'm pretty sure that the commuters would scream bloody murder if MN didn't try. And since money talks, and many CT commuters have money, the CT politicians tend to listen.

Currently there are 9 bar cars with 7 or 8 available on daily basis, while one is in maintenance.

So the M-8's will double the bar cars on the New Haven line.

There is no plans to retire any bar cars till very end , barring any unforseen problems.

Some time ago I had heard that one of the original Phoebe Snow (Lackawanna RR) observation cars was being used as a bar car on Metro-North. Can anyone verify this and if so do you know the car number and where it runs to? It would be nice to ride on it since the last time I did was in 1960.

Currently there are 9 bar cars with 7 or 8 available on daily basis, while one is in maintenance.So the M-8's will double the bar cars on the New Haven line.

There is no plans to retire any bar cars till very end , barring any unforseen problems.
The Phoebe Snow cars are NOT in regular service, they are part of the Executive(inspection) train.

The cars will be retired soon to be replaced by a few of Bombardier push pull cars.

Metro North has no comets, it has shoreliners and no non are bar cars anymore.

The M2 bar cars were specialy built by GE/Vickers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Metro North has no comets, it has shoreliners ...
Aren't the west of Hudson MNRR cars called Comet Vs, or are they called differently from the similar NJT cars?

your right currently MNCR has 64 Comet V's but west of Hudson Metro North service is looked upon by Metro North employees as the red headed stepchild, since NJT operates it.

Back