New Cardinal Diner

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't often prepare frozen French Toast for myself, but I have never experienced a "gooey mushy mess" when I did.
I've had gooey French toast on Amtrak and when I asked about it they said the griddle was broken.

I think DA was saying the French toast on the Amtrak dining cars is usually thrown on the grill for re-heating? I’m pretty sure that’s how the burgers are cooked as well.
I believe it's normally a combination of convection heating followed by a griddle finish.

If they use a griddle on the Cardinal I stand corrected. Who (what Amtrak employee) does it though?

It was several years ago, but the French toast I had on the cardinal was very different than the French toast on the full service dining cars.

Either way there is no griddle / grill on the Cardinal’s amfleet II cafe / diner-lite Car.

Time to face this fact of life: there is no substitute worthy of a "Mom" in the "kitchen" regardless of whether that "kitchen" is in an Amtrak Dining Car of whatever vintage or previously, a cruise ship's galley, or flying First Class on a long distance Singapore Airlines flight in First Class with their "Book the Cook" option.

Back